• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm planning to add an XZT+ before towing season. I really need to upgrade the lift pump before I get into towing again. So I'm weighing the options vs cost. I'd like to do this once... I'm not going racing but need to tow properly... can never be sure what that'll take until I've done it. Airdog vs Raptor?Should I go for the draw straw & big line?Russ

i wouldn't do the drawstraw unless the pump you buy requires it. i never have liked the idea of drilling a hole in the tank. i think my drawstraw's grommet leaks when i fill the tank up. if you do go the route of the drawstraw, get the upgraded version so you can put the pump return line on the straw. this allows you to NOT have to cut the filler neck, and helps in low fuel situations. lift pump should help you russ. before my airdog, towing 7k or less would net me 10 MPG. same trailor/load with the airdog netted 14 MPG.

This is going to a garage to get done but the better information I give them, the happier we all are. IF I get down on the ground these days, I might not get back up... Several years ago, I did install the HiddenHitch right in the driveway... the stock 4X4 is pretty high. A lot of folks think it has been lifted.

• Owner

I would do just a Raptor 100... Yeah in any case the lift pump needed to be upgraded. I would use 1/2 hose and plumbing for everything but you could use the stock pickup tube on the 100 series pumps... The only secret I can give is to hose clamp the hose direct to the plastic nipple. Then dropping the tank isn't required... Quadzilla XZT should give a good boost in power...

I would do just a Raptor 100... Yeah in any case the lift pump needed to be upgraded. I would use 1/2 hose and plumbing for everything but you could use the stock pickup tube on the 100 series pumps... The only secret I can give is to hose clamp the hose direct to the plastic nipple. Then dropping the tank isn't required... Quadzilla XZT should give a good boost in power...

It will give a good boost but you also need to add a turnbuckle or J-hook to the wastegate or it will just build heat and not much power.

For My HPFP 150 FASS I only used 3/8 line all the way from tank to filter and it is just slipped on and hose clamped to the nipple and no tank removal was necessary. The only thing I installed was the bigger fuel bowl fittings and the vp44 fitting and the 1/2 inch line from fuel filter can to vp44. Never had an issue in the 6 years its been on there.

• 3 months later...

I installed a Airdog 100 and a Drawstraw V, 1/2" fuel line and kept my stock fuel filter. I had to go with the Drawstraw V because I had a intank pump. To do it again I would go with a Raptor and 3/8 line all the way to the VP44, that 1/2 line is just silly big for anything under 500hp. I agree with Whitlightening as you really need a J-hook to keep the EGT's down at lower and mid range rpms. I run a untapped Adrenaline, which makes it the same as a ZXT+. I only run 23psi but without the J-hook at times at low rpm's I would only see 16psi when 23psi was really needed to keep EGT's in check.

Just installed a airdog 150 w/ drawstraw 1 and short bed bracket. Would i do it again? No! not the way i did it this time. I would stay away from the drawstaw 1. It makes you remove the pickup from the sending unit (module) and install the drawstraw there. You have to reuse the grommet from your old unit., There isn't one in kit, but Dodge Dealer can find one with part number for about $17 plus shipping. I would have gone the way of leaving the sending unit alone and drill through tank for pickup tube and cut filler neck for return. My :2cents:

Thank you for the thoughts on the various Drawstraw options. I have an AD150, extension harness & relay, big line kit out of an 04, but no Draw Straw. Bugman, I hear you on the O ring. I think I'm not understanding correctly. Your prefered method is to cap off the module (retrofit in tank pump/OEM sending unit). If you drill a hole in the tank, do you not have to remove the sending unit to reach inside to put a nut on the inside?

• Staff

Do the 2nd gen's have doorman fittings on the tank as well? If so I would use the stock pickup with a doorman to 1/2" hose fitting, run that into a Baldwin BF1212, into the Raptor and into the stock canister. From the pump to the canister and then VP 3/8" is plenty, but 1/2" wouldn't hurt.