• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

When do you buy a new starter ?

Do the "Super Size Start Contacts" that have 90% more surface area make it crank a lot faster? Mine doesn't crank any faster with 5 batteries than it does with 2 and think the small contacts might be the reason. When I put that many batteries on my ford, it would crank over at idle speed :lol:

The contacts are more Meaty or heavy duty. They should hold up better OEM. To spin stater faster you need more AMPS, until you fry your starter.

The amps are there, I have several wires going to it. I am pretty sure that contact is just screwing me over.

you replace the starter when you can no longer rebuild the motor itself, worn out commutator mainly, brushes can be replaced and even the commutator can be trued up easily enough on a lathe. if the motor shorts out and burns up in the process well then you got grounds to replace it, be easier than rewiring at that point.

Local auto zone stocks them for $149 and a life time warranty I think thats the easier safer way to go since I gotta pull it off the truck either way.

Only partially correct - ie the price quote may be correct. Autozone starters are historically problematic. You are better off to check your contacts while it is off and replace them. Mine were shot at 110,000 mi & starter is going fine at 156,000. Only the contacts in the solenoid have been replaced. Cost was <$35. Time only slightly more than R&R.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have an 1984 Bronco II that would go through a starter a year. Tried NAPA, a year later back for another. Did that twice, then went to Autozone. Same thing, just a lifetime warranty instead of NAPA's one year warranty. I figure I will be doing my Cummins gefore too much longer at 140k miles.:cummins:

• 1 month later...

Why buy a starter for $150 to $200 when 99% of the time is is bad contacts, or repace a altenator for about the same when it is most likely bad brushes or bearings. Vacuum pump and Power steering pump 99% of the time bad seals all can be rebuilt at home for a little time. Cummins are Medium Duty Truck engines so things are made to be rebuilt not replaced. When I saw that Geneo's Gurage sells these kits mostly for less than $50. I knew that would be the way that I would go. :doh:

Why buy a starter for $150 to $200 when 99% of the time is is bad contacts, or repace a altenator for about the same when it is most likely bad brushes or bearings. Vacuum pump and Power steering pump 99% of the time bad seals all can be rebuilt at home for a little time. Cummins are Medium Duty Truck engines so things are made to be rebuilt not replaced. When I saw that Geneo's Gurage sells these kits mostly for less than $50. I knew that would be the way that I would go. :doh:

depends on how far gone it is but if you inspect it often enough you can catch it and do these fixes. if you dont replace the brushes before they get too short then commutator damage can result, not as easy to fix.

depends on how far gone it is but if you inspect it often enough you can catch it and do these fixes. if you dont replace the brushes before they get too short then commutator damage can result, not as easy to fix.

You are 100% correct, it is all about preventive maintenance, the Cummins will last between 500,000 and 1,000,000 miles, but the accessories will need to be serviced many times during that time.