• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

When do you buy a new starter ?

Finally got some time to change it, I bought the kit from Larry B which was kind enough to send me a pair of gloves and a bandage ( non latex ) haha It was super easy to change out even the top bolt on the starter was very easy to get out :thumb1: , the old contacts were GONE one side was almost not there anymore

• 2 months later...
post-198-138698182298_thumb.jpgDo you think I was pushing the issue of my starter clicking? Started about 2-3 weeks ago, I ordered a rebuilt kit for it immediately. Well, Last night went to the movies and it was the worst it has been ever, then wehen I left it did the same. So, that was a BIG hint to get thew contacts changed! Not bad at all to do! Glad I did it before I was stranded somewhere!

I bought a new about 2.5 years ago when mine starting clicking. AZ or AA dont rember. But the new cost $95 and the rebuilt cost $100, or there abouts, anyway the new one was cheaper and looked better and i bought it. Think it had a life time warranty but I lost the receipt.:cry:

• 2 weeks later...

when all it does is click click ? and when I get under the truck and hit it with a wrench while someone cranck it it would spin and start the truck ? last night my starter took a crap :duh: yet more :spend::spend: to throw at the truck :cry:

Check out www.LarryB's.com. It's an inexpensive fix and you get to keep your starter which is still one of the best rated out there...:thumb1:

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally rebuilt mine, and man was it in need lol. The weird thing was that one contact was pretty much completely gone and the other side was only slightly worn (ill post a pic of the worn one when i get home). But it starts like a champ now, thanks to Larry B's!-Jordan-

Yours was the same as far as one side was worn and the other side wasnt? Heres a pic of the bad side, ill see if i can get pics of both of the old contacts side by side sometime.

Posted Image

-Jordan-

Yes, mine looked like yours as far as thickness. I had more of the original outline of the contact. Just paper thin'

--- Update to the previous post...

How much do those kits run? I need to do this.

Sent from my iPhone

About $25.

• 2 weeks later...

So My trucks starting is hit and miss. It will crank on a key bump sometimes then others it sounds like I have dead battery's and barely turns over. I'm guessing its the contacts but I figure this starter is at most 309,000 miles on it. So I guess my question is do I need to just get the contact and plunger kit or the whole easy rebuild for 20 bucks more... Going to clean my contacts this weekend on the battery and look at the ones on the starter.

• 2 weeks later...