• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help replacing rear axle hub seal

My brakes have been worse than normal lately and with new pads on the front, I knew it had to be the back. My driver side was all sludged with rear end oil so I guess there is a inner seal on the hub leaking.I got my axle out but there is some kind of little lock nut that I need to remove and ive never seen anything like it before. My jeeps never had anything like this full floater and I have never worked on one before so if you have any tips I would greatly appreciate it!

Hello, I just did that same thing on christmas eve at my buddies shop. replaced the seal on the passenger side rear. I have the LSD dana 70. So you need that giant socket and also you have to pull out the key way type pin that holds the seal. Make sure you clean that wheel and brake assembly with cleaner real well. Over all you have the easier set up to do. IT really wasn't that bad just make sure you get the correct seal.

Good Luck,

John

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

It is just a nyloc nut with a locking tab that just pulls straight out. the pics posted above are a great visual of what I am tALKING ABOUT. You can use a channel lock or a chisel and hammer to get the nut off if you don't have big sockets or the correct axle nut socket like pictured above. I just reuse the tin gasket with a thin bead of silicone when reassembling them, don't think I have ever used a new gasket actually think I just pitch the tin gaskets on mine and just used the 'Right stuff" or ultra black sealant.

• Like 1

Hello, I just did that same thing on christmas eve at my buddies shop. replaced the seal on the passenger side rear. I have the LSD dana 70. So you need that giant socket and also you have to pull out the key way type pin that holds the seal. Make sure you clean that wheel and brake assembly with cleaner real well. Over all you have the easier set up to do. IT really wasn't that bad just make sure you get the correct seal.

Good Luck,

John

Posted Image

Posted Image

what size socket is this boss?

I believe it is (6 pt.) 2-3/38" That hub comes off and a theres a seal in the rear. It will take less then an hour to to. Might as well pull the diff cover and change the fluid. New fluid and don't forget the whale sperm (aka friction modifier). Good thing your pops works at the supply house.

• Like 1

For what it is worth i removed mine 4 times.I reused nut and locker thing every time.I also had the seal/gasket get mashed and i used permatex right stuff to help it seal again.The right stuff is a must have.I use it all over my truck with mo problems.I have it on my oil pan,front cover,hellmans sump,rear axle seals,sidedraft intake that sees 50 lbs of boost.etc.It costs big coin but as the younger kids say "it is the shiznit".

• Like 1