• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Howdy from western NY

mr.mindless

I've got a cute little bone stock '97 dually, thought I'd stop in and say hi. :lol:Bought it last november with a fresh head gasket and 242k on the clock. Never got the cooling system clean and it would still make coolant once in a while (oil to coolant, never the other way around). 5 speed NV4500 with a "fixed" nut failed a week later.put in a rebuild NV4500 and dual disk south bend... that lasted 18,000 miles - broke teeth on 5th. input shaft was slightly twisted.Spent a week putting an Eaton RTOO9513 in it. The .68 top gear is like swapping my 4.10s for 3.55s, I love it. Lost my transfer case though of course. I've got a divorced NP205 to put in but it needs a rebuild and bigger yokes, etc...which brings me to Haloween time this year and the block cracking. Scored a complete 24v from a school bus for $440. Swapped over my P-pump junk and it's back up and running. Took about a month. I do crazy projects, what can I say? :evilgrin:

I don't know a damn thing, I just fake it well :thumb1:

actually - I DO know one thing. those O rings on the delivery valve holders? not just to keep dust out :smart:

Day I picked it up; day before the front brake hard crossover line blew and I gently rearended a CRV :rolleyes: - Dakota still in tow

Posted Image

225/70r19.5s on bread van wheels with the centers bored to 4.77"

Love them to pieces. close to 20k on them now, well over 50% tread. Expecting an easy 70k from them. little squirmy for the first 1000 miles or so but worth it.

Posted Image

15% tint on all 4 side windows and 5% on the back untinted glass. 15+factory is a perfect match to the 5. I've got a guy who beats the pick 2 rule: he's good fast and cheap. I decided to go bold and redo it at 25 and 15 if I wasn't happy. I kept it. Did all 5 windows for $125 - if you're nearby I'd be happy to send you his way.

and some bed corner rearanging thanks to a bad hill, bad spotting, and my gooseneck :nono:

Posted Image

picked up a little (used '02 36' 14k rated, 19.5s on it as well) trailer to match the little truck. usually it's recreational towing to rock crawling but I do side work as well for a friend who runs an auto parts store fleet. loads like this MAY have contributed to the NV4500's repeated demise. This might be the heaviest I've ever been, I didn't scale.

Posted Image

13sp. it fits. I <3 it. build thread

Posted Image

Borrowed my buddy's common rail. I'd intended to just borrow his little trailer that my truck is on for an errand I was running for him, but my 12v block had other ideas at 268,000 miles.

Posted Image

I thought it was a head gasket, so I wasted the effort of changing it before coming to this point. on the left, crusty rusty rotten CHEAP 2001 ISB205 schoolbus motor. supposedly 110-130,000 on it, "drove to the crash". It was a gamble! On the right, a sure thing: 1997 B5.9 (215) paperweight from my truck :doh:

Posted Image

lots of teardown and cleanup - just a few progress shots. I did no build thread on the swap but took enough photos I probably could.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

that about does it for the dually. I've got a Banks Brake to put on it and need to build a 4" exhaust to match that. A fuel line broke today and that needs to be replaced, and I can't seem to park my trailer in the winter without getting stuck since I did the 13sp. Something about not putting a transfer case back in :rolleyes: I've got a divorced 205, but it needs 1410 yokes, needs to be gone through, and I've done nothing yet for mounts under the truck, and then of course there's the shaft work. I'm also planning to put Ford outers on the front 60 when I loose a unit bearing or ball joint or brakes, etc - but all of the above were fresh about 50k ago. Though that track bar has already gone bad. I welded a bushing to it, no more ball joint end and no more :spend: on that.

I did find a temporary trailer parking solution though.

Posted Image

usually that's here instead

Posted Image

and finally, if you're wondering about the 571 decals, 571 is this.

Posted Image

I codrive. It's an Ultra4 class car, built for King of the Hammers type racing. We run at Rausch Creek in Tremont, PA and are planning on running some of the Line Mountain races this coming season.

http://ultra4racing.com/

too many pics? :stuned::lol:

Man that is an awesome thread!!!:hyper: I use to rock crawl with a couple of members of the pirates when i lived in California! That was a ton of work i posted a video of that Chevy/cummins 10 spd on here i think it would be cool but for what i do with my truck way to much work. But it looks great and I'm glad to hear its workin out for you.:drool:

Volkswagen - I just cut the ball joint end off and welded a bushing tube to it, and welded a couple tabs to the frame.The first time I did it, I screwed up and the bolt hit the diff under full compression. I had to take it apart, cut off the back tab, narrow the bushing 3/8" or so and weld a new rear tab on.What's with the screen name? I traded an '02 TDI Jetta even up for this Cummins a bit over a year ago. I miss that car....it had all sorts of goodies aside from the obvious 27" General Grabber ATs. hitch, CB, nozzles, chip, traction control, short shift, big rear swaybar...

post-10730-138698175259_thumb.jpg

post-10730-138698175268_thumb.jpg

oversize tires and an Atlas skid plate took care of my concerns. Metalnerd used to make 1, 1.5 and 2" lift kits - I bet he still does. You could just make something to space down the upper strut mounts too. The rear is easy with some spacers on the springs and longer shocks.