• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Some more mods on their way....

AH64ID

• Staff

Here they are!

I am hoping to get most of these installed next weekend. The hitch is missing the hardware, but that should ship ASAP.

Studs

Posted Image

ATS 2-piece manifold. Just looking at this one I can tell the flow will be much better, as will the sounds. Looks to be 95% of the benefits of a 2nd gen manifold, with none of the custom work!

Posted Image

With the Turbo Performance blanket.

Posted Image

The Turbo! Garrett Powermax Stage 2, GT3782R. It’s a 62/64 with a .89 a/r divided housing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the hitch. This thing is beefy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Staff

Spent most the day in the garage working on the truck. The manifold/turbo are installed. All went pretty smooth, but had to get 1 different bolt for the turbo mounting flange. The 2 they supplied were good for 1 side, but the other side they were too long. Got the turbo oiled, CAC hooked back up and just need to tighten the exhaust clamps. I am thinking of wrapping the exhaust while its mostly not apart... The studs are also installed. I did one at a time, then torqued them at 80, 95, then 110. After they were all done I torqued them in 2 phases to 125. Now I am letting it warm up with the block heater until I go to bed, then cool overnight and on last tq check. The only issue was the old turbo had a little oil in the outlet pipe. It wasn't enought to make it to the intercooler. I haven't been using oil, so either its very minor or hasn't been doing it long. It's also possible that it pushes a little past the seals when the exhaust brake in on at idle??? The old turbo is very tight thou, so maybe just a seal kit before I sell it. I will dig into it deeper. But wow the exhaust wheel is tiny on that thing!I also learned something about the OEM manifold. I had always understood it to be a 4/2 design, but #4 actually dumps into the rear bank. But the way it does it HORRIBLE for flow! The ATS does have larger ports as well, .14 larger diameter at each cylinder, and at the flange they are .1x.15 larger and are oval vs "D" shaped. All in all the manifold looks like it will flow more air and create less backpressure. Pics to follow.. off to spend time with the fam.

• Staff

I didn't, the manifold/turbo are very close to the gasket, less than a .1" difference.

The blankets came from Levi at Turbo Performance Products and are top quality! I am going to run for a week or so without them to help the manifold paint cure, and to let the turbo burn off any residue, but both will go on before the 1st tow. I test fit the manifold blanket today and it looked and fit great!

http://crdpower.com/

--- Update to the previous post...

A side by side comparison of the two manifolds. You can see how the ATS has a much smoother flow for #4 than stock and has larger ports.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cleaned the side of the block up with a wire wheel and bolted the ATS up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The turbo with the coolant line hooked up and ready to install. The instructions state than the WG is calibrated for stock levels and you gain approx 1.5 psi per ½ turn of the WG rod, so I shortened it 1 turn to start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Installed

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is where the coolant supply comes from. It uses the heater core return.

Posted Image

It then dumps into the water pump. The tubing over the filter housing is removed.

Posted Image

Out with the old, and in with the new. It’s actually a very easy task, just takes time.

Stock

Posted Image

Stock and Studs

Posted Image

Complete

Posted Image

You can see here how much more purchase the studs get in the block. The OEM bolts had about 9 rotations of engagement and the studs have about 14.

Posted Image

• Like 2

• Staff

Just fired it up. No leaks, so I am letting it sit for 15 minutes, going to recheck the oil since I lost a bit doing the studs and then go for a drive. I won't be getting on it for a while, but well see how it reacts in my normal DD style driving.

I am shooting for 35-37 max here at 3K feet.

All buttoned up. No leaks, test drive was good. I took it really easy, never over 8-10 psi. But WOW that thing sounds sweet at 3-7 psi, got a nice whistle to it.

The exhaust tone is deeper as well, with just a hint of turbine whistle. I am sure it would be more if I didn't have a muffler and a resonator.

Cruise boost is about 2 psi lower at 60. It does spool a little slower on easy driving, but really it seems better, haze was down, EGT's were down 50-100* and the motor seems to rev easier. My normal acceleration got me to 2200 rpms before a couple times (where normally it peaks about 1800-1900), the motor just sounded happier. So initial reports are good. I am going to drive it this week so I'll report back.

I did do a no-load boost/DP measurement real quick. It doesn't build boost until over 2K rpms, and at 3K rpms its only got 1.5 boost and 4 drive, vs stock which was 7/14, and with the cam 9/18!! Yay for a freer flowing turbo.

• Staff

I pulled it apart and re-torqued the studs, and they didn't budge! These motors are so easy to work on, less than an hour from start to idling. I drove it to work today, and couldn't play too much, but it skyrockets to about 28psi, then slowly builds. I didn't see how high it would go as there was too much traffic, or not enough rpms. In 5th gear drive is about 2psi higher thru 2700 rpms, then slowly goes to about 1.3:1, I wonder if that's the 3rd event? In 6th its dang near 1:1.

I pulled it apart and re-torqued the studs, and they didn't budge! These motors are so easy to work on, less than an hour from start to idling. I drove it to work today, and couldn't play too much, but it skyrockets to about 28psi, then slowly builds. I didn't see how high it would go as there was too much traffic, or not enough rpms. In 5th gear drive is about 2psi higher thru 2700 rpms, then slowly goes to about 1.3:1, I wonder if that's the 3rd event? In 6th its dang near 1:1.

Doesn't that make "drivability" a bit more difficult???? Skyrocketing boost I mean???

• Staff

Not at all. It actually builds a little slower than stock at first (normal driving), but when you give it fuel it lights and lights very fast, but smoother than stock. I think the restriction on the stock turbo made it light faster and not as smooth on the throttle.

Under normal driving it's less boost, but smoother and seems to be quicker. I haven't been driving as easy as normal, but the OH is up by .5 from just before the install, that can't be bad!

I keep telling people, this is how the truck should have been stock. There is nothing the stock setup does better..

If you can't tell I like it! I won't be towing with it for a while, but if the towing gain is 1/10 as good as the empty gain it will be night and day different!

I installed the manifold blanket last night. Great fit, pretty straight foreword to install. Levi makes a great product!

The turbo blanket will probably be this afternoon!

Posted Image

Whatr was wrong with tho factory receiver hitch? I see you have the same tires I have on my 02. How do you like them? I can say that they suck big time in snow and ice I have 255-85-16 which are tall and skinny. They seem to be wearing ok but are kind of squirlly on pavement in certain conditions. The only thing I have found them good for is dirt roads. But being 10 ply I have them aired to 50 psi which is still way to hard as they don't have any give to them. Overall I would tell everyone to skip this tire for a daily driver. best for off road dirt only. Also I had one set warrantied because they would not balance and these are not much better so I just dicided to live with it and run them out as the tire shop was getting pretty peeved with me over the deal after having them rebalance them and try different things about a dozen times over the course of a month or so.

• Staff

Whatr was wrong with tho factory receiver hitch?

In the slightly more than 8K miles I have towed with my truck it has worn out. The hitch was loose from the factory, about 2.125 and with mainly towing on dirt roads the hitch vertical opening has grown to 2.25", its sloppy and loud. The pin hole is also 30% larger in one direction. The OEM hitch is stout, but not up to the task of dirt road towing when its loose to start with.

I see you have the same tires I have on my 02. How do you like them? I can say that they suck big time in snow and ice I have 255-85-16 which are tall and skinny. They seem to be wearing ok but are kind of squirlly on pavement in certain conditions. The only thing I have found them good for is dirt roads. But being 10 ply I have them aired to 50 psi which is still way to hard as they don't have any give to them.

I love them. For me they are amazing in snow and decent in ice. They don't do as good as my AT's did at slow speed on ice, but not muich different. That could because the AT's were 285's and the KM2's are 255's. They do great in deep snow, dirt, mud, etc. They take about 10psi more than the 285's did to be stable at speed. I run them at 60/40 empty and 70/70 for most towing. The only thing I don't like is how fast they are wearing, but I guess that's life with 750 ft/lbs!

I love them. That could because the AT's were 285's and the KM2's are 255's. They do great in deep snow, dirt, mud, etc.

Did you notice any MPG difference by switching from 285=>255 at the time ?? Wondering about that for my truck. :)