• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Some more mods on their way....

AH64ID

• Staff

It's really hard to say. I quite DDing the truck just before the tire install and did a cam swap just after the install... They are lighter then the 285's, and slightly taller... so I figured it would be a wash with the tread pattern change.

You are having the 100% opposite results than I am.:shrug: I have never had such worthless tires on snow and ice. My Yokahama Geolanders were so bald you could just make out what the tread pattern was visually but mostly smooth and I could get around on snow and ice way better than these things. I hear ya about the slopped out factory receivers. My 02 has holes that are literally egged shaped for the pins that it is always banging when slowing oe accelerating. My 05 isn't too bad yet. I have gotten rid of all my hollow tube receivers and gone to all solid receivers as I kept slopping out the holes in the receivers and I have had several bend in conditions I would not consider abusive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

I stopped by the local diesel shop today and got put on the calendar for a Southbend CON-OFE clutch install on the 24th. I was able to slip my stock clutch at will in 6th gear on my normal towing tune, so backed off on the fueling and it's good now, but I am just going to swap it out.

You're gonna love that clutch my friend!!!!!:smart: I've got almost 75,000 miles on my SB Con OFE. Probably 45,000 (at least) of that is towing also!! You don't need the SB hydraulic kit with this clutch, but knowing you, you probably got it anyhow!!!!!:duh::lmao2:It's grabby when compared to the stocker. But not grabby like their Con FE.........which I don't think they sell any longer. I, like you, could slip the clutch at will towing or cruising when I got a "happy foot". That was back when I was running the Edge J w/A also. My Smarty would've toasted the stocker faster because of the "low end" of the Smarty!!Update after the install!!!!:hyper::hyper::2cents:

• Owner

You're gonna love that clutch my friend!!!!!:smart: I've got almost 75,000 miles on my SB Con OFE. Probably 45,000 (at least) of that is towing also!! You don't need the SB hydraulic kit with this clutch, but knowing you, you probably got it anyhow!!!!!:duh::lmao2:

It's grabby when compared to the stocker. But not grabby like their Con FE.........which I don't think they sell any longer. I, like you, could slip the clutch at will towing or cruising when I got a "happy foot". That was back when I was running the Edge J w/A also. My Smarty would've toasted the stocker faster because of the "low end" of the Smarty!!

Update after the install!!!!:hyper::hyper::2cents:

Dorkweed is right about the hydraulics... I'm still running stock master/slave hydraulics on my truck no issues...

• Staff

The clutch is in. The initial impression is that it's as smooth as stock with a slightly higher pedal pressure, which is to be expected as the plate has about 500 lbs more holding strength.Doing some more driving and towing today, more results to follow.

As I said prior...........you're gonna love this clutch!!!!:2cents::2cents:

This is the type of clutch that these trucks "should" have from the factory!!!! The stocker is marginal at best IMHO!!!!

Look forward to your next post!!!:thumb1::thumb1:

Come on "Dude"............You've gotta be lovin' this clutch by now!!!!!:2cents::2cents:If you're "that" happy about it, and don't want to show the "wood"................just tell us, we'll understand!!!!! We'll give you crap about it, but those of us with the Con OFE know how it is!!!!!!!!!:lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

• Staff

Just got back from a weekend of camping. The clutch is very smooth, as smooth as stock. The pedal feel was a little higher than stock but I got used to it really fast (thou it makes my DD's clutch fell lighter than the fuel pedal!). The first 100 miles were as good as stock, or better. I had a little bit of difficulty getting it into gear once the trans warmed when stopped. I am guessing that will rectify itself as it breaks in. There is defiantly more noise to the trans with this clutch, I can hear it in the shifter when I am lugging the motor, especially in low rpms in 5th and 6th gear at about 1000-1400 rpms when towing. It must be the heavier springs in the clutch disk. Otherwise I agree this is what should have come stock... Thou I say that about my studs, turbo, cam, etc... .

I occasionally have trouble finding 1st or 2nd gear when warm also. It's usually when I'm sitting at a stop and go light and toss her into neutral to wait it out. Then when I depress the clutch, it won't go into gear unless I depress the clutch again and rev her a bit and then she drops right in.:smart:Glad you're liking it!!:thumb1:

• Staff

I occasionally have trouble finding 1st or 2nd gear when warm also. It's usually when I'm sitting at a stop and go light and toss her into neutral to wait it out. Then when I depress the clutch, it won't go into gear unless I depress the clutch again and rev her a bit and then she drops right in.:smart: Glad you're liking it!!:thumb1:

Sounds normal then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I'm liking it! I just hit 500 miles on it this morning, so still not too much use. But I have been using it as a commuter a few times the last two weeks and it drives great! Another towing trip this weekend..I did bump the Smarty Jr up to SW3, and the truck is FUN when I get on it... It's nice not worrying about the clutch, head gasket, etc....

• Staff

Well the clutch finally broke in, and I like it even more. The first 500ish miles it was LOUD!! The shifter and trans rattles so hard that the mirrors vibrated.. Well the springs in the disk finally broke in after a few WOT runs and its nearly stock quiet now.

• 3 months later...

I really don't like how doing 80 can take 18-20 psi of boost in cold weather and 13-15 in warm, there is no reason for that. And I beleive it only does it becuase the DP is so high at no load when the rpms climb. Its 2:1 no load at 2500 rpms, thats just insane! It creates an EGR by not alowing the air to free flow.. .

I was looking to refer to something else, but I saw this, and had to respond. To do 80 in my truck in cold weather; I was never near 18-20psi boost to maintain that speed unless going into a strong headwind. I think I've posted about this before, but here goes again..............several years ago, I had to finish pulling a trailer back from TX from a hunting trip. This was a 26'? car hauler trailer that had 3 ATV's in it plus 5 guys hunting stuff. Not a "weighty" load, but when you consider the 30-35mph sustained North winds in -0 and lower temps, Mighty Whitey was going into, it was a load. In order to pull that trailer, and my truck with 5 guys and 3 dogs in it...........Mighty Whitey was at 20psi boost and 1000* EGT just to maintain 60mph. When I got the all-time high mileage on my truck last year; to maintain 65mph, I was only at 2-3psi of boost. But it was upper 90's- low 100's temperature wise. But even in 50* weather, to maintain 65mph in my truck ususally only requires 4-6psi boost if I'm not bucking a wind or towing. Original question...... Do you think a manifold and turbo blanket would do anything for the stocker turbo set-up??? Where did you purchase yours from??? Later.

• Staff

This is the pic I show when talking about the manifold flow... but yes I think it would do good, but I am not sure you would see much of a gain as the stocker already spools so fast.

Posted Image

As for the blanket it will help with spool, but again it's already FAST. The main reason I did it was to decrease underhood temps and it really helped. There is no longer a hot blast of air when I lift the hood after a good tow.

The several times I have driven 80 in 10° or colder weather my boost is always 15+ on the flats without wind. On a 80° day its around 7-10 with no wind, but we always have wind so 10-13 was normal, and at 65 I would see 4-5 under normal driving. Now I have a hard time breaking 7 psi at 80 even with a hill or wind.