• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back door problem?

Do you open it often ? Reason i am asking is mine will do the same thing this time of the year with the salt.I would shoot it with wd40 or something of that nature, then open and shut it about 50 times.

Yeah everyday, about a dozen times at least. I put my back pack in the back seat along with my lunch box so let me see.... Once in the morning before I leave, once when I get to class, once to put my bag back in to move the truck, once again at the top of the hill, once again to get my lunch, once to put it back, once again to put my bag in there to go home, once again at the house....SO... At the very least, 8 times a day but probably more than that depending on the day!:stuned: I'll try that, couldn't hurt that's for sure.:thumb1:

there is acually two rods that look like they have threads on each end 1 goes up 1 goes down if you take off the middle handle and you can adjust the rods so the door will open easyer but be careful the bottom rod can fall into the door and you need a long needle nose to get it out!!

• Like 2

Hmmm... No problems here... Every monthly I do a inspection of my check levels, vehicle, lights, latches, doors, etc. So when I'm doing this I break out the oil can and hit every door hinges (front and rear), hood hinges, latches, etc.

there is acually two rods that look like they have threads on each end 1 goes up 1 goes down if you take off the middle handle and you can adjust the rods so the door will open easyer but be careful the bottom rod can fall into the door and you need a long needle nose to get it out!!

Yeah I try to oil everything up when I do oil changes and such. Hopefully that's all it needs is a little lube but as many times as I open that door, it doesn't surprise me that it is acting up. Plus with the weather!:duh: Well if it turns out I need to dig deeper, I'll keep that in mind thanks!:thumb1:

The doors on my '99 Ram 2500 Quad Cab have done the same thing. A local shop replaced some cables in the driver's side door about 18 months ago and it works fine. The passenger side is now doing the same thing. I have noticed that pushing on the lower part of the door slightly with your knee will allow the bottom latch to open right away. --------- Jim

Seem like the old girls (trucks) are wearing out internally now...

Yeah the Cummins can last forever but the Dodge part is a different story..... But I used some WD-40 on the door and it seemed to help. Maybe not prefect but a lot better. When I get time I'll dig into it further and see what I find out!!:spend:

Yep sounds like the rods need to be adjusted from this post "It's kinda like there is a cable inside and it's stretched or something. I have to pull on the handle a lot harder then I used to...." Most likely the door might have been frozen and you forced the rod to move a little. If it keeps getting out of adjustment you can pick up a new clip retainer and this should solve your problem.

I try and use dry lube, anything wet like oil or silicon sprays and such tend to attract dirt and grim that will do more harm then good. If you do use a oil or spray let it soak in then wipe it off, use a rag dampened with a cleaner. You can pick up a small can of wax and grease remover from any auto parts store that sells body shop supplies.

• Like 1

Yeah the Cummins can last forever but the Dodge part is a different story..... But I used some WD-40 on the door and it seemed to help. Maybe not prefect but a lot better. When I get time I'll dig into it further and see what I find out!!:spend:

There's a bolt that holds the cam that operates the rods to unlatch,mines got loose a few times,put some loctite on it a tighten it up.It'll work like new.:smart: