• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time to replace all of my battery cables.:doh: So my question is where is the best place to buy new battery cables? If I can find someone around here that makes cables what is a good size of cable to replace mine with? I dont like replacement ends so I want all new cables. Thank you in advance.

Welding cable is the best because the strands are so tiny. Electrons flow through wire on the very outside of the wire, so a solid wire has just the outside surface area and that is where the electricity is flowing and it isn't flowing as much through the core of the solid wire. When you have a bunch of strands of wire, the outer surface area starts to really add up, so you are able to flow more amps. Think of a 1" solid wire, and then think of only the outer 1/8" being usable, so all that area in the core is dead. Now you see how strands take advantage of that dead area by having many strands which equate to a ton of outer surface area. That example was really drawn out but you get the idea. It is also the easiest to bend, which is nice.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Our local NAPA store makes custom battery cables and swages or crimps the ends on them.I had a older Ford diesel with dual batteries that needed to be replaced and I just took the old one out and they made an exact copy for me.They were much less than the dealer.I don't know if all NAPA stores have that same capability but this store has an on site machine shop. Maybe it's worth a check to see.