• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My truck ('99) uses the P/N 4882423 fuel filter assembly. This is the one with the canister that drops off the bottom of the bracket, the fuel line banjo fittings are on top, and the fuel heater harness emerges from the top. post-10589-138698176032_thumb.jpg I've been told that it is common for them to leak at the fuel heater harness & mine was no exception. In addition, I've been told that neither Dodge or Cummins supports this fuel filter any more, their recommendation being to update to the newer assembly. I was quoted almost $1500 by my local dealer for the repair - totally unacceptable!I disassembled the assembly (remove 3 torx screws, push heater assy/harness out) & found the leak was due to a degraded & damaged o-ring installed on the heater temp switch where it passes through the bracket. post-10589-138698176063_thumb.jpgI took measurements & ordered a bag of o-rings from McMaster Carr. After clean-up & reassembly with the new o-ring, I'm happy to report the leak is fixed.I have 49 spare o-rings left. If anybody needs one send me a PM & I'll drop it in the mail to you.Joe in St Louis

post-10589-138698176041_thumb.jpg

post-10589-138698176047_thumb.jpg

post-10589-138698176054_thumb.jpg

post-10589-138698176079_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Owner

It seem like this is a big problem for the early version fuel filter of them leaking right there. Good to hear you found a solution to fix it... Most likely cheaper than what I'm going to post next...

Here is a fix a guy on the phone today told me about which is still a bit pricey but its a complete kit with Fleetguard spin on filter, heater, etc...

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK109852-BLKH

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

It seem like this is a big problem for the early version fuel filter of them leaking right there. Good to hear you found a solution to fix it... Most likely cheaper than what I'm going to post next... Here is a fix a guy on the phone today told me about which is still a bit pricey but its a complete kit with Fleetguard spin on filter, heater, etc... http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK109852-BLKH

I was going to post the same thing! Richard's stuff is top notch and priced very well. I understand he is working a similar kit for the 3rd gens! I also just saw Geno's now offers a similar kit, but I use the GDP kit, it has a heater and I think a better filter selection. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FFK9799

• 1 year later...

Hi jumpjg,I have recently found the O-ring replacement could be #10 Air Conditioning O-ring which is Green in color and withstands diesel fuel.What kind of O-ring did you use?Also, is there an easy way to remove the heater pins from the connector?Very nice post!

• 2 weeks later...

hey, how are you doing today, so i have the same issue you was having with the leak on my fuel filter, im in desperate need of the o ring, if you have some im willing to pay for it if you dont then if you have the measurements you took i would greatly appreciate this information, you can give me a call at 8505621781 or 8502104684, or email me at collins_ray@rocketmail.com, thanks ray