• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Suggestions on fuel filter

• Staff

The best fuel filter available is the Baldwin PF7977 at 5um absolute. The OEM filter is the 2nd choice at 7um absolute. Bosch (who makes the HPCR fuel system) reccommends at least 5um filtration. The GDP kit mentioned is a great setup. You can also see what I have done by looking at the link in my sig. Injectors are the achilies heel of the HPCR, so good fuel filtration is a must.

The problem with 5 micron filters is they tend to not let enough fuel flow freely in cold ambient temps. Duramaxes are super prone to stalling out due to this as they run 5 micron filters and everyone I know in my part of the country has had issues with a gelling like situation but its not its just thick slow moving fuel even though its winter fuel it still flows slower in cold temps. Summer time go for it man but not in winter time. Or at least in temps at or below 0*

• Staff

The problem with 5 micron filters is they tend to not let enough fuel flow freely in cold ambient temps. Duramaxes are super prone to stalling out due to this as they run 5 micron filters and everyone I know in my part of the country has had issues with a gelling like situation but its not its just thick slow moving fuel even though its winter fuel it still flows slower in cold temps. Summer time go for it man but not in winter time. Or at least in temps at or below 0*

The only time I have ever gelled was my 20um filter, the 5um and 2um were fine. The OE canister has a fuel heater, so it's a non issue. I usually see a little lower pressure in winter, but not more than 1-2 psi, and only right at startup. Even thou the Duramax has the same injection pump the filter system and lift pump (or lack there of) are different and it's hard to compare. Bosch wan't 5um filtration, Dodge didn't want to spend the money on a 5um filter. The 6.7 has a 5um filter, and fewer injector problems, and I have never heard of cold weather issues other than regional non-winterized fuel effecting every diesel, not um specific. It is every owners decision, but I strongly reccommend the best filtration you can get, and thats the Baldwin PF7977 for the OEM cansiter.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

I use the 7 micron Fleetguard filter in the OEM canister, and the Fleetguard 2 micron filter in my GDP secondary FF setup. Almost 200k on the OEM injectors now with either the Edge Juice/w Attitude or now with the Smarty being used.

Just a small point, but I take filters pretty seriously, Fleetguard doesn't offer a 2um filter. 3um is the best you can report (some sources say 4um), but the FF5320 is a 5um absolute filter.

• Owner

When you look at the tight tolerances pf the CR injectors I would be picky about filters. Kind of like half the battle for a VP44 pump too is keeping the fuel clean as it enters the pump. For you guys with CR injectors I would opt for quality filters than common place filter that might lessen the life span...

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,Time for filter changes, the only place in town is a NAPA so unless I order that is what I'm stuck with for convenience. I can get the 3405 and 1202 filters whats your thoughts on these. Thanks

I found the baldwin pf 7977 filters at a couple of OTR truck service centers about 30 miles from where I live.. The baldwins really don`t cost much more than the Napa`s.

I think I googled Baldwin filters and the web page had a dealer locater.

The best fuel filter available is the Baldwin PF7977 at 5um absolute. The OEM filter is the 2nd choice at 7um absolute. Bosch (who makes the HPCR fuel system) reccommends at least 5um filtration. The GDP kit mentioned is a great setup. You can also see what I have done by looking at the link in my sig. Injectors are the achilies heel of the HPCR, so good fuel filtration is a must.

I was browsing some stuff on Geno`s garage and I noticed their fleetgard 7 micron filter has a warning "That it fits the 2nd gen canisters but is too restrictive for VP44 applications" ?? I know an upgraded lift would probably negate any flow issues, but This has me thinking if the PF7977 is truely 5 micron it may be more than adequate to protect the HPCR injectors

Never once had any issues running the 7 mic fleetgaurd in my 02 for years at 560 hp and sled pulling or for DDing it and towing at 450 hp.

Do you remember what the part number for this filter is? It fits the stock canister too? I am still running just the stock 10 mic. Didnt think there was anything better for the stock housing.