We have detected that you are blocking our advertisers. We pay our operational bills with advertising and donations. Please add Mopar1973Man.Com to your whitelist of sites on your adblocker. If you register as a member and submit a donation to the website, the advertising amount is reduced the more you donate. 

whitelist.png

This will allow you to keep you adblocker turned on for other sites and allow to display advertising here. Thank you, for understanding and whitelisting Mopar1973Man.Com. This will allow us to continue providing quality Cummins diesel information to everyone for free!

• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Does it really do much good? I am just curious since I have run a BHAF for over 100,000 miles without one and have not had any indication of a problem.

Tell you the truth after getting the measurement from ISX there is only about +2*F difference over outside temps while rolling. As for JL_Welding you did that right by backing up the the plate with nuts so the top nuts are nearly flush...

Well, it actually changes depending on a bunch of factors. Below freezing, it is basically the same temp as ambient. As it gets warmer, you start to see a change. I think around 70F ambient I was seeing a 5-10F difference for temps on the air filter. At 90F I am thinking 10-15F difference. Now towing actually makes it spike a little, getting up to 25F difference. Not so much in the winter but at 70F ambient was where I was seeing 20-25F difference. Running a constant high EGT makes the exhaust manifold hotter and it radiates to the air filter. My temp probe was zip tied near the front/top of the BHAF.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures. I'm playing with my BHAF install now... I don't seem to have quite as much room as you do. I think SOMETHING is needed to stabilize the filter. My problems are entirely that my experimental set up is too floppy.

Hm. I have not had any issues with the EGTs getting very high even towing. About the most I have seen was about 1250* for brief periods and about 900* under normal towing. Maybe the turbo I have (HX35) moves enough air?

I love your "high-tech" shield there Mike!!!!:thumb1::thumb1: Heck, if I didn't have any "handy" bungees, I would've used "duct tape"!!!!:lmao2::lmao2:On a serious note, on my Fram Boost 2 intake (rebadged AEM Brute Force) I think the only thing the heat shield does is keep the "spray" off the filter element when driving in rain or wet roads or wet snow etc.!!

I love your "high-tech" shield there Mike!!!!:thumb1::thumb1: Heck, if I didn't have any "handy" bungees, I would've used "duct tape"!!!!:lmao2::lmao2:

It might be a Redneck setup but it works... The bungee I added to keep the filter from banging around under the hood. Washboard roads really do make it hop... :doh:

Hm. I have not had any issues with the EGTs getting very high even towing. About the most I have seen was about 1250* for brief periods and about 900* under normal towing. Maybe the turbo I have (HX35) moves enough air?

Funny you should mention that. Just for testing and fun I had a short 3-4 mile grade at 6% to climb over with the TT cruise set at 60 MPH and it would hold 1,100*F EGT's at about 32 PSI boost with the Edge Comp wide open (5x5)

On 3/25/2011 at 10:34 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is my version... post-2-138698176677_thumb.jpg post-2-138698176668_thumb.jpg post-2-138698176663_thumb.jpg

I there a pattern for this somewhere?  I can't seem to fit my BHAF into the K&N shield.  I would like to make one of these but a pattern would sure be nice.  I saw a link to one somewhere on this site but the link was not working.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Mine was made from an old Idaho road sign.

That's fun.  I'm sure it made your truck go faster.

I don't have good tools for aluminum.  I may do an experiment and use your template to cut up a fire-resistant trash can and put some fire proof mat on the side where the turbo is.

1 minute ago, leety said:

I don't have good tools for aluminum.

Jigsaw... That's all I used.Then went to a friends house to use his brake to fold the 90* angle. Sheet metal trash can should be interesting...

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Jigsaw... That's all I used.Then went to a friends house to use his brake to fold the 90* angle. Sheet metal trash can should be interesting...

Actually it's a plastic trash can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G61OJM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with some heat mat applied on the turbo side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Shield-Mat-Belly-Fairing-Motorcycle-Insulation-for-hood-Fiberglass-Cotton/192390551180?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You've got my attention. I'd like to see this go through and be tested with summer heat. You'll be the first with a plastic heat shield. 

Sounds like a fun thing to try for sure.

Just on the side of cautious nature, I would keep a fire extinguisher in the truck. Keep an eye on it as the weather warms up. If it starts to deform you'll most likely call it a fail. I'm still curious if it can be done with that kind of heat on that turrbine.

Just on the side of cautious nature, I would keep a fire extinguisher in the truck. Keep an eye on it as the weather warms up. If it starts to deform you'll most likely call it a fail. I'm still curious if it can be done with that kind of heat on that turrbine.

For sure.  A fire extinguisher is a must.  How hot does the turbine housing get?  The factory air box was aplastic right?

Posted (edited)

In stock form without any injectors, tuners or fuel mods I was able to measure 1,400*F EGT's towing up a 7% grade. It was just a Chey 3/4 ton pickup on the trailer. Cruise set for 60 MPH.  When I noticed the temp I backed out and dropped a gear and kicked the RPM's up and it settled at 1,200*F the rest of the way. 

Yeah the factory air box is plastic...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

In stock form without any injectors, tuners or fuel mods I was able to measure 1,400*F EGT's towing up a 7% grade. It was just a Chey 3/4 ton pickup on the trailer. Cruise set for 60 MPH.  When I noticed the temp I backed out and dropped a gear and kicked the RPM's up and it settled at 1,200*F the rest of the way. 

So is that measuring the temp in inside the housing or outside?  I guess what would be good to know is if the temp of the actual housing there or the air inside of it.  I have a pyrometer for tires perhaps I can measure the turbo housing when it's all nice and hot.  Not sure how high it goes I'll have to see about that.

Pyrometer typically is measuring the flame temperature inside. You could use a normal outdoor thermometer and measure the temperature around the BHAF. I know ISX did this long time again and typically without a heat shield, the temp was much more than +10*F over outside temp while rolling. Bein this is old information it might be worth testing again and seeing what you get for measurements as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Pyrometer typically is measuring the flame temperature inside. You could use a normal outdoor thermometer and measure the temperature around the BHAF. I know ISX did this long time again and typically without a heat shield, the temp was much more than +10*F over outside temp while rolling. Bein this is old information it might be worth testing again and seeing what you get for measurements as well.

This is the one I have.  I think it goes up to 199 degrees but it doesn't say weather or not that's F or C so I sent them a inquiry to find out.

https://www.joesracing.com/i-21092094-joes-deluxe-racing-pyrometer.html

I'll look into measuring it somehow.  I like to measure stuff LOL

Edited by leety

The description says it measures in C and F.

• Like 1