• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog II 165 install now having problems

I just installed my airdog 165 fri night and sat I was having problems with it cranking and now it surges going down the road! This morning it took forever to start! When it did crank, drove it to the office and had to keep the idle up and the check engine light came on with the following codes P1692, P1693, an (2) P0122! Any ideas on what to do? I did the fuel module install! Please help!!!

Jason:banghead::banghead::banghead:

--- Update to the previous post...

I finally got the pressure gauge to hook up an I am running 15 psi! Just as soon as I get it started, it is still loping! I believe I am sucking air some where but I don't know! I took the fuel supply line of the vp44 to see what the fuel looks like coming from the new airdogII 165 and made a video of it!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=A60Z-OORtoU

I need some advice in a bad way!

The airdog I bought has the new push lock connectors on it! Could they be defective and letting it suck air!
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Jason

--- Update to the previous post...

Ok fellas with the help of Michael "Mopar1973Man" an Eric at Vulcan perfomance an a bunch of :banghead: , I finally have my truck up and running!:hyper::hyper::hyper: I found that I was sucking air in through the drawtube that came wtih the Airdog II, with a little ingenuity, I fixed it temporally till I can get a new Vulcan Drawtube I configurator! I took a 1/2" nylon tee from the hardware store and some 1/2" fuel hose with hose clamps and put it in just like the "factory airdog tube" would be installed and now the system is running great!!! I have to adjust the fuel pressure down! When I first started it I was running 23 psi at idle and 20 psi at WOT. I set it at 18psi at idle now! I just want to say again thanks to Michael an Eric for taking time out of their busy day to assist me!!!

If anyone needs any help I will do what I can to help!!!

Jason

Talked to Eric at Vulcan again this evening about ordering a new draw tube! Told me not to fool with it, Since my "home made" or as I call it redneck reengineering is working fine just leave it alone!!! I will post some pics of the mod later on!!! I have the pressure set at 19 psi now and speeding down the highway at about 85 the pressure is reading about 13-14 psi is that too much of a drop?

Talked to Eric at Vulcan again this evening about ordering a new draw tube! Told me not to fool with it, Since my "home made" or as I call it redneck reengineering is working fine just leave it alone!!! I will post some pics of the mod later on!!! I have the pressure set at 19 psi now and speeding down the highway at about 85 the pressure is reading about 13-14 psi is that too much of a drop?

I will be doing the same to my truck in the near future. did your truck have an in tank lift pump? the ad165 comes with a kit to replace it with. is this the tube you had trouble with? my truck has the in tank pump. look foward to seeing your pictures.

post-10918-138698177098_thumb.jpgMy truck is the 98.5, it didn't have the intake fuel pump so I had the other module! The fuel module upgrade kit that came with the airdog II 165, there is a plastic draw tube ! It is where my problem started. I adjusted the length on it a couple of times, shortened it, extended it with no luck! I was really hitting my head on the wall because of all the confusion, b/c I was getting air in on the suction side! I needed to get my truck back on the road b.c i am usually hauling something all the time! Usually I'm just hauling a** lol! So I got the idea of using standard fuel line 1/2" id from oreilly's , cost me $1.28 for 2 foot, didn't need that much but I bought it anyways! I stopped off at the local hardware store and picked up a 1/2" nylon tee! As you will see in the pics, my module has a strainer basket on the bottom. I took the strainer basket off, drilled the hole to just a lil more that 9/16", the tee slid in almost perfectly. I put my hose on there and using the aluminum 1/2" draw tube connector with quick connect supplied by a/d I hose clamped it on. I made a couple of loops in the 1/2" hose to make sure there wasn't any kinks an so the module would have it's up/down movement when reinstalled in the tank! There is one other thing that I did on repairing the module. I cut a hole in my bed, b/c I didn't feel like crawling under the truck and dropping the tank again, an I wasn't sure if this would fix my problem. Removing my bed just wasn't an option for me b.c I run a 90 gallon aux. fuel tank, tool box, gas air compressor, fifth wheel rail kit and a gooseball hitch, so it would have taken a while to unbolt and bolt everything! I didn't take a picture of the fuel module after I engineered it, but if some one needs pictures, I will pull it so anyone can see! Anyone need any help just holler! My number is on my profile or ask for it! I can be reached 24/7! Jason

post-10918-138698177087_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698177101_thumb.jpg

post-10918-138698177104_thumb.jpg

I'm studying the several Draw Straws... I don't like the DS in Gromet style... because the weep under some circumstances. If I'm going to have someone access the tank top (drop tank or lift bed)... I want to not have any seepage.I see the DS V has a nut inside. Is there a reason the DS V can not be used in other tank / module combinations? Is there a risk of having the pickup tube come unfastened? Guys with experience please talk to me!Thanks,Russ

I'm studying the several Draw Straws... I don't like the DS in Gromet style... because the weep under some circumstances. If I'm going to have someone access the tank top (drop tank or lift bed)... I want to not have any seepage. I see the DS V has a nut inside. Is there a reason the DS V can not be used in other tank / module combinations? Is there a risk of having the pickup tube come unfastened? Guys with experience please talk to me! Thanks, Russ

Russ - build yourself one of these and have your guy install it :)

post-10132-138698177116_thumb.jpg

I'm with you Mike. That looks like an accident waiting to happen. That location demands at the minimum the use a 90 deg elbow coming out of the tank. Perhaps some sort of sheet metal shield to cover up the vulnerable parts could be employed. Joe in St Louis

Looks well made... but I'm too chicken to run a bottom drain tank. I have been indisposed by the prep, colonoscopy & post anesthesia yesterday / today. So I burned up the phone... The diesel shop wants to see instructons before agreeing. I got out the used AD 150, brackets, extension harness, relay, fill Y, and what ever big lines he had. The is one 82" hose uncut with both ends intact. I have a 62" hose with one end. I have a ~66" hose with a cut in the middle, both end fittings. I'm thinking to salvage the fittings but cutting the hoses with a razor blade. I called Vulcan but Eric was not there this afternoon.The diesel shop may have availability of fuel lines & fittings. When we talked, they said they had bulkhead fittings & implied they could make up a new pickup inhouse. No Magic in Vulcan or any other source... I have do what ever I need to do to get the job done. I need to get to the diesel shop ASAP.

Looks well made... but I'm too chicken to run a bottom drain tank. I have been indisposed by the prep, colonoscopy & post anesthesia yesterday / today. So I burned up the phone... The diesel shop wants to see instructons before agreeing. I got out the used AD 150, brackets, extension harness, relay, fill Y, and what ever big lines he had. The is one 82" hose uncut with both ends intact. I have a 62" hose with one end. I have a ~66" hose with a cut in the middle, both end fittings. I'm thinking to salvage the fittings but cutting the hoses with a razor blade. I called Vulcan but Eric was not there this afternoon. The diesel shop may have availability of fuel lines & fittings. When we talked, they said they had bulkhead fittings & implied they could make up a new pickup inhouse. No Magic in Vulcan or any other source... I have do what ever I need to do to get the job done. I need to get to the diesel shop ASAP.

Why are you going to take it to the diesel shop? It's not that bad of a job doing the install yourself! Mine wouldn't have been that bad if I hadn't had the problems with the draw tube!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the truck moved (AAA flatbed) to the diesel shop because it stopped in the middle of the street. I am not able to do this simple work because of my Multiple Sclerosis. I can only be on my feet a few minutes... depending on where I am in the day, I can walk a few steps with a cane but need a rollator walker for anything more than that. There have been times when I could not get into my own truck even with the step. Usually I can now if I place my feet just right. I was a mechanic before the MS... I have to remind myself often of what I can & can not do. I do not have any young fit friends...