• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My truck is stock and only 119,000 km but it failed the emissions test today.This is an opacity test.Reading was 30.8% (just over the required 30.0%Oil was changed and filters changed (intake, oil and fuel) recently.Because it gets mostly city driving they suggested I take it out for a beating and come back so I did.It failed again, this time in the low 40's??!!The only trouble I've had with the truck in the year I had it was shifting points so I played with the TPM to correct it when I got the truck.Does the TPM talk to the main computer to adjust fuel delivery?Could this be why I get the black followed by white smoke at kick down? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT.

• Owner

My truck is stock and only 119,000 km but it failed the emissions test today. This is an opacity test. Reading was 30.8% (just over the required 30.0% Oil was changed and filters changed (intake, oil and fuel) recently. Because it gets mostly city driving they suggested I take it out for a beating and come back so I did. It failed again, this time in the low 40's??!! The only trouble I've had with the truck in the year I had it was shifting points so I played with the TPM to correct it when I got the truck. Does the TPM talk to the main computer to adjust fuel delivery? Could this be why I get the black followed by white smoke at kick down? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT .

Well the white smoke seems like the timing is too retarded... As for the black you might have to back your placte off and tighten the AFC spring slightly... As for the computer is has ZERO influence on the fueling and timing of the P7100 pump it completely mechanical and requires some adjustment it seems. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen12v/p-pump/fuel-plate.htm http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen12v/p-pump/afc.htm

What I know is the white smoke sounds like an issue. It shouldn't white smoke at ANY time other than startup. Black smoke is probably in the pump tuning and can be easily fixed. The problem is that I don't know how mechanically inclined you are. I think the timing might be off to cause that white smoke, or dirty injectors. I would check the timing first, that white smoke is not something caused from pump mods as those things would just cause more black smoke. I am betting the timing slipped and when you took it out and floored it per their advise, it made it slip even more, causing worse emissions.

I didn't realize canada did emissions testing. Just pack up and move to North Dakota, we don't do any testing along with other smart midwest and western states.:smart: Plus who wouldn't want to live in a warmer southern climate like ND versus Canada.:lmao:

I didn't realize canada did emissions testing. Just pack up and move to North Dakota, we don't do any testing along with other smart midwest and western states.:smart: Plus who wouldn't want to live in a warmer southern climate like ND versus Canada.:lmao:

I think it's a big city thing. I am pretty sure they do it in st louis and kansas city, but they hardly inspect anything around here. I know most states dont even have inspections.

Thanks for the replies guys.It's in the shopThey will be checking the valves and timing.Hoping that will fix it.It's my first Cummins so maybe I really haven't felt it's stock power yet. :)Anytime the US plans on doing something stupid like E-tests and/or going metric Ontario jumps in both feet but the US smartens up and backs out in most areas.No matter how dumb it is, Ontario instead of backing out they tighten things up...

• Owner
:cookoo: Canada... Well thing is there is a lot you can do to increase the power of that truck but remember your going to have to learn how to do it so when its time to smog it again you can reset everything back again. But before you get into making power mods I would get a set of gauges first. Then if you want two knowledgable people talk to MnTom and ISX they are both 12V owners that can point oyu in the rigt direction... :smart:

Picked up truck today.Along with it came a bill off $700 and change !!!!!!!After first fail of 30.8 ( limit is 30.0 ) so I dove it to clean carbon, brought it back and had them change oil, and oil/fuel filters before retesting. They said it failed again so they wanted the ok to check valves and timing and I ok'd that.Didn't here from them Monday so I stopped in and found they were done with itLooking at the bill I found they removed the injectors and brought them in for testing.The were found to be fine.I argued the bill because I didn't agree to the injectors being removed and the fact that they were fine says it did ME or the truck no good to have this done.They agreed to take $100 off but it's still a big bill for an oil change and e-test.As his wife worked on lowering the bill he continued to tell me these systems are all hard to get a pass with the lower requirements we have.I asked how it could pass if nothing was done so he said he wouldn't say what he did but he played with the pump.He said he has to do it to most 12v's to pass them.Likely as was mentioned in above reply posts above with limiter and star wheel.Obviously there is a problem with these tests if that's the case.I sure don't like the idea of them flooring and holding the rpm the way they do !!!That can't be good for it.Least I don't have to worry about it for 2 years..

Doesn't and won't hurt a thing to hold it wide open no load. Thats what the governor is for. I have a friend that works at a GM dealership and when they get corvettes in with failed crankshaft sensors they need to be recalibrated and to do that they stomp the accellerator to the floor and the computer lets it go to full rpm and back by itself in a procedure called a block relearn calibration. the first time he did it the customer was standing there flipping out seeing his brand new 60k vette being run at full throttle. After that event they no longer let customers see that procedure.:duh:

• 2 months later...

Here in southern Ontario all diesels get hooked up now.The test use to be just check the gas cap was there and clicked, then they walked around it to listen for an exhaust leak and watch for smoke from tailpipe. That'll be $87 thank you. lolYou said they do a snap test. That is what they do here. The machine reads the density of the smoke when snapped.Just recently I had a no start problem and found it was because the rubber boot was all caught up in the spring on the fuel shutdown . I'm not sure if this was why it was having trouble passing the test or if this is a result of poor workmanship when they were working on it. I just removed the boot for now and will have to shop for a new one. Knowing the way they do things here they'll want me to buy the whole part not just the boot. lol

I am in Oakville/Mississauga area, pretty sure the etester just did a visual, not that I saw him do the test, just that the results all were N/A's (not applicable?) if i recall on the print out. If I get a chance later this week when I'm home I will scan and post the print out.CheersRick

:cookoo: Canada...

I agree...our government is a bunch of idiots. Checking peoples trucks but meanwhile you can have the factories that have the stacks blowing s#*^ out of them all the time or especially the ones that blow the stacks out overnight when nobody is around to see it. I know, I work at one of them and my truck knows it too, when it's pepperd in black soot when I come out in the morning from work :mad:

--- Update to the previous post...

As his wife worked on lowering the bill he continued to tell me these systems are all hard to get a pass with the lower requirements we have.

I asked how it could pass if nothing was done so he said he wouldn't say what he did but he played with the pump.

He said he has to do it to most 12v's to pass them.

So...my comment to that would be if this is a common thing that he has to do to alot of 12v, it would've been nice if he did that first instead of taking injectors out and charging you for doing so.:spend:

It's always easier to hit the taxpayer who has no choice but to comply. A buddy of mine is a heavy equipment operator and the bulldozers, etc. on his subdivision site can eat through 1000's of litres of fuel a day, without any emmissions monitoring.Jets i believe are the biggest emmitters of Hydro carbons pound for pound.dobienut, maybe you need to use the guy I got my emmissions done with? I believe it's your Gross vehicle weight rating that put you through the sniffer test?

Knock on wood ,they don't have the tests or regulations here where I am yet...but I'm sure it'll take a couple tree huggers to complain about a bit of smoke from a tractor trailer going down the road and they'll implement it. :mad: