• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

today, i hooked up my gooseneck trailer and loaded some cattle, and i was hoping since i installed a new vp44, airdog165, ats arcflow, silverline stacks, my truck was going to have more horse power, but mywas dissapointed because my truck just cant pull a 24' gooseneck with 7 bulls (about 10k lbs.) When i take off the truck starts to shake and takes a long time to advance, i have a 2000 dually with the nv4500, with only 130k miles, i've had this truck for about a year and it is my first dodge truck. I like the fact that the engine is real simple and easy to fix, i also have a 00 duramax 2500hd with the banks six gun, and that truck pulls more than this truck. My truck is stock as far as engine programming, i thought that this truck was going to be stronger at stock than the chevy, but i think it really needs the help of a programmer or chip. Is this normal for this truck or could it be something else (what is the dead pedal?) i bought this truck from an old man and he took care of the truck and even gave me all the records and receipts on the maintenance he did to the truck. Can some one give me any advice on my problem, could it be that i need a new clutch? This truck looks like it just came out of the factory it even has the stickers and barcodes in the chassis, all original, no cracked dashboard, original like new carpet floor mats, no cracks on the windshield, its beautiful and i will like to keep it but it just doesn't do what i need her to do.

I have an 01 that was basiclly stock,i did have a Hypertech programmer,pulled all kinds of loads no problem. 10k is'nt a LOAD.:shrug:

--- Update to the previous post...

today, i hooked up my gooseneck trailer and loaded some cattle, and i was hoping since i installed a new vp44, airdog165, ats arcflow, silverline stacks, my truck was going to have more horse power, but mywas dissapointed because my truck just cant pull a 24' gooseneck with 7 bulls (about 10k lbs.) When i take off the truck starts to shake and takes a long time to advance, i have a 2000 dually with the nv4500, with only 130k miles, i've had this truck for about a year and it is my first dodge truck. I like the fact that the engine is real simple and easy to fix, i also have a 00 duramax 2500hd with the banks six gun, and that truck pulls more than this truck. My truck is stock as far as engine programming, i thought that this truck was going to be stronger at stock than the chevy, but i think it really needs the help of a programmer or chip. Is this normal for this truck or could it be something else (what is the dead pedal?) i bought this truck from an old man and he took care of the truck and even gave me all the records and receipts on the maintenance he did to the truck. Can some one give me any advice on my problem, could it be that i need a new clutch? This truck looks like it just came out of the factory it even has the stickers and barcodes in the chassis, all original, no cracked dashboard, original like new carpet floor mats, no cracks on the windshield, its beautiful and i will like to keep it but it just doesn't do what i need her to do.

Whats your rear axle ratio? 4x4 any oversize/taller tires?

• Staff

Do the rpms climb faster than you think they should when its shaking?130K is a long time on a stock clutch. I would think about a clutch and a small tuner and/or RV275 injectors to wake it up and give it a few more ponies. You have all the supporting mods (minus clutch) for a small power bump, so it will be pretty easy to do.

i pull a 13.5k 5th wheel wiith my 02. the first year i had the trailer it was stock and pulled it fine. yours should have more than enough power to pull 10k. my truck has 3.54 rear end and will pull it in 6th gear. i only pull 4 time a year and just changed my clutch at 220k. theres something wrong in the drive train somewhere.

the truck's rpms stay normal when shaking, i dont think its slipping, i did the key switch on-off 3 times and got no codes. What could be the problem? I totally agree that the truck should pull more, i thought i was going to see a difference with the upgrades i did but it feels the same as before. I don't know where to start looking......:cookoo: What is the dead pedal? it sure feels like that!

Dead pedal is where, when your accelerator pedal doesn't it work!

DEAD PEDAL

This is THE MOST COMMON DRIVABILITY COMPLAINT and is an intermittent one that happens most often when the truck is hot or working harder, but can occur much less frequently when cold too. There are no codes pertaining to “Dead Pedal” that will condemn the computer and therefore the VP44.

This symptom of “Dead Pedal” is rarely caused by a faulty APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) and 99% of the time it is caused by a faulty computer on the top of VP44 injection pump. These numbers are NOT an exaggeration. The easiest way to positively eliminate or condemn the APPS as the cause of the problem is to “scan" or read the ECM (not the PCM) in your truck to check for any DTC codes pertaining to the APPS, such as a 121 or 122. IF YOU DON’T HAVE EITHER OR BOTH OF THESE CODES, THEN YOU PROBABLY DON’T NEED AN APPS.

Diagnosing a bad APPS accurately without reading or having codes can be done with a voltmeter, by monitoring and measuring the voltage on the blue wire with a black tracer coming from the APPS plug. Turn the ignition key to the on position and slowly press on the throttle and slowly release it. You should not ever see a jump in voltage. It should go up and down smoothly. If it jumps up or down, then replace the APPS.

"borrowed that from Blue Chip Diesel's website"

• Like 1

Dead pedal is where, when your accelerator pedal doesn't it work!

DEAD PEDAL

This is THE MOST COMMON DRIVABILITY COMPLAINT and is an intermittent one that happens most often when the truck is hot or working harder, but can occur much less frequently when cold too. There are no codes pertaining to “Dead Pedal” that will condemn the computer and therefore the VP44.

This symptom of “Dead Pedal” is rarely caused by a faulty APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) and 99% of the time it is caused by a faulty computer on the top of VP44 injection pump. These numbers are NOT an exaggeration. The easiest way to positively eliminate or condemn the APPS as the cause of the problem is to “scan" or read the ECM (not the PCM) in your truck to check for any DTC codes pertaining to the APPS, such as a 121 or 122. IF YOU DON’T HAVE EITHER OR BOTH OF THESE CODES, THEN YOU PROBABLY DON’T NEED AN APPS.

Diagnosing a bad APPS accurately without reading or having codes can be done with a voltmeter, by monitoring and measuring the voltage on the blue wire with a black tracer coming from the APPS plug. Turn the ignition key to the on position and slowly press on the throttle and slowly release it. You should not ever see a jump in voltage. It should go up and down smoothly. If it jumps up or down, then replace the APPS.

"borrowed that from Blue Chip Diesel's website"

thanks alot! i will scan the ecm tomorrow to see if it has any codes. Blue chip's website helped me diagnose my vp44 when it was gone. Hopefully it will help me finding out whats wrong this time.

I would be checking the engine and transmission mounts and all the cross members first looking for broken/loose bolts and mounts. Then I would be checking the u-joints and spring hangers. From what you have said something is broken or not tight causing the jumping around and shaking. Also check the fluid levels in the drive train. There is also an outside chance of internal rear end damage.

In stock form the 24v's are dogs, and can't compare to a Dmax, it better compares to the GM's old 6.5TD's horsepower and torque wise. I had a 93 6.5TD with 3.43 gears and was very dissapointed in how my new to me 2002 CTD with 4:10 gears pulled my light 4000lb truck camper. This is the bad part, now for the good. All the mod's you have done has added no HP or torque. The mods you have done will help support mod that will give more pulling power. You need to add one of the many performance boxes like, Quadzilla Adrenaline, or XZT+ or edge easy, Edge Comp, Smarty or such. These will add fuel, and boost psi with a boost elbow, and some will reduce or nearly eliminate torque management. Also the addition of a little larger injectors will help as well, as HD64AD has mentioned a good choice would be a RV275 injector. With a few more mods I think you will be amazed at the improvement the Cummins will show, I certainly was.
  • Like 1

In stock form the 24v's are dogs, and can't compare to a Dmax, it better compares to the GM's old 6.5TD's horsepower and torque wise. I had a 93 6.5TD with 3.43 gears and was very dissapointed in how my new to me 2002 CTD with 4:10 gears pulled my light 4000lb truck camper. This is the bad part, now for the good. All the mod's you have done has added no HP or torque. The mods you have done will help support mod that will give more pulling power. You need to add one of the many performance boxes like, Quadzilla Adrenaline, or XZT+ or edge easy, Edge Comp, Smarty or such. These will add fuel, and boost psi with a boost elbow, and some will reduce or nearly eliminate torque management. Also the addition of a little larger injectors will help as well, as HD64AD has mentioned a good choice would be a RV275 injector. With a few more mods I think you will be amazed at the improvement the Cummins will show, I certainly was.

once i get rid of the shaking i will buy a tuner (smarty or edge comp). Or do you think the truck shakes because it does not have power?

if it shakes due to lack of power, the lack of power has to be due to something wrong. lack of power with nothing else wrong would be smooth and slow.

does your shifter bounce around? bad tranny mount can make the drivetrain hop in some circumstances.

as others have said, check all your ujoints. Check all drivetrain mount bushings. make sure the tcase is tight on the trans and the trans tight on the clutch housing. Make sure your rear ubolts are tight. That's all the easy stuff.

How's your fuel pressure? low pressure will make the VP44 stumble. and then kill it - quickly.

a rough running under load problem with a buddy's '02 ended up being a bad Cummins ECM. That was a really, really shitty $1500 dealership 3 week diagnosis fiasco.

Bottom line: your truck should have NO problem pulling 10-14k with 4.10 gears. Something is wrong. Shaking is probably another symptom of the same issue. Whether low power or driveline issues.

Without driving your truck its a little hard to say, but off the top of my head, clutche, ujoint, bent driveshaft, transmission crossmember rubber mount broken, or driveshaft alighments/angles out for some reason. Is it shaking and no power at higher speeds and in which gears? Can you get up to highway speeds or when you say low power it won't even get to third gear or something like that. I think you will need to describe your issues a little further for us to narrow down a possible cause to your shaking issue. I would be surprised if your shaking issue is connected to the low hp issue but just not enough info to go on.

I went to my local dodge dealership today!! Friend is a pretty good diesel tech! We looked up an there is a service bullentin out number 18-49-98 on Driveline Induced Vehicle Surge/Vibration! It says that the surge or vibration can be caused by driveline angles tire force variation or differential ring gear pitch line runout.