• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24V things to check/do before/after buying?

There is a guy talking to me about 12V's but he can't find any and is heading the 24V route instead since they are plentiful and I am not 100% on some things. He is getting it from a 70 year old with low mileage who just replaced the VP44, so I told him that would be the best one. Aside from needing a fuel pressure gauge, better lift pump, use 2 stroke, what else is there? Plus I can't get into enough details about what I just said. He wants to know how long he can run without a gauge and I said however long you want to be second guessing the lift pump. He also wants to know about what to do when the lift pump does go bad. Assuming he has a fuel pressure gauge by then, what exactly do you do? Turn it off instantly and get a new pump? Do they just die or do they peter out over time? If someone could write up a big guide over all of the things I listed plus other things I don't know about, that would be perfect. I have a guide in the 12V section but there isn't one over here so I'm coming up short.

The 01's have tm that helps the trannys. The thing about 24v's you covered. Lift pump, the ecm's fry and you cant test them, factory trans 50/50, puke can mod, the evap in the dash rot as well as the heater core, on 4wd you can spend big cash on the front end, factory trans cooler lines rub on the frame as they turn up to the cooler, the vp can last 20k miles or 125k miles, if the guy used the tilt wheel often the wire can fray and it wont start, apps dont last, cant test it. Did they put a cam sensor when they did the vp? Thats a buger to change with the pump on but possible. Fass 150/150 is a slick pump

do the lift pump and fp gauge soon and treat that new vp well. if it is a 6 speed take good care of it they are pricey to replace. i have dealt with most of what dorkweed has listed. did not think about the cam sensor when replacing my vp. mine was a very slid truck untill 9 months ago, thats when i encountered most of those problems. not all at once but pretty close. still would not trade it.

do the lift pump and fp gauge soon and treat that new vp well. if it is a 6 speed take good care of it they are pricey to replace. i have dealt with most of what dorkweed has listed. did not think about the cam sensor when replacing my vp. mine was a very slid truck untill 9 months ago, thats when i encountered most of those problems. not all at once but pretty close. still would not trade it.

Thats what i am talking about :). The 24v vp trucks are fine out the box. It is around 160k win the money starts to go away from my pocket into the truck.

• Owner

Next thing I know that guy got an 04' powerstroke :cookoo: We do need a writeup on all this in here though...

Might be a good idea... I'll add to the pile I'm finding more people with time problems. The truck might have really low mileage and the owner is all relaxed about it thinking the truck will last a life time. Not True! :stuned: So just because the odometer is extremely low miles doesn't mean that something big won't fail. Just this month alone I've see 2 trucks now with less that 100K miles with fried ECM's (Lift pump circuit failed). :duh:

Might be a good idea... I'll add to the pile I'm finding more people with time problems. The truck might have really low mileage and the owner is all relaxed about it thinking the truck will last a life time. Not True! :stuned: So just because the odometer is extremely low miles doesn't mean that something big won't fail. Just this month alone I've see 2 trucks now with less that 100K miles with fried ECM's (Lift pump circuit failed). :duh:

I bought my truck with 47,000 on the odometer and it didn't run. Had a lift pump fail and it was drove until the vp died also. Funny thing is the lift pump never quit running. Fuel pressure gauge is very important after seeing that.