• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Modification suggestions needed

I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins Quad Cab short box that I purchased new. It has 83,000 miles and for the most part, this truck has been bullet-proof. Wisconsin winters can be rough on vehicles. I try to wash my vehicle after using it in the winter. I have a car for my everyday driving. Well, being 10 yrs old, it is time to put some money into it. Couple of modifications I want to do: 1. I need a new exhaust. Want to go from the turbo back with a 4". Who makes the best one with a muffler?2. I want a bank of 3 guages on my rail, turbo pressure, trans. temp and exhaust temp, who makes best and how easy are they to hook up?3. I noticed rust under my truck when pulling out my broken exhaust. I do paint the under carriage at least once a year but I need to do better, what do you use to keep the rust at bay? Only real difference from stock is my SuperChip I have in it set at tow safe mode and a K&N air filter.

• Staff

ISSPRO gauges are the best these days. A fuel pump should be first on your list in addition to a fuel psi gauge. Ditch that K&N filter, they are turbo killers. It's really hard to go wrong with any of the 4" exhaust kits out there. Being an 01 your WG line is a hard line, I would look into a J-Hook.

• Staff

They are not very efficient at filtering, and quite often allow dirt/oil to pass thru and this chips away at the compressor blades. There is lots of supporting threads on the subject on various forums. Most who do some research will remove their K&N filters as quick as they can.

• Owner

The other problem with washable media filter is that most people end up getting dirt on both sides now when the filter dries then the dirt is released into the turbo and engine. Dry media filters are the best bet out there. Also people tend to grade filters on appearance. The filter minder does a excellent job of letting you know when to change the filter. The filter minder is in inches of water column not mercury. So its super sensitive to any vacuum just place the nipple of the filter minder your lips and lightly suck on the unit you'll find it moves rather easy. The other problem is the stock air box will deform over time and allow dirt to pass. There is 2 answers here.. 1. Grease the filter on both side of the gasket so the grease fills the void of the deformed plastic housing. (Messy but works).2. BHAF or aftermarket filter assembly. BHAF work really well in dirt conditions and are extremely cheap over most all name brands.