• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 ctd not running right

Hey..I done the same thing a couple months ago. :stuned: see i had a dead miss that started all at once one morning backing out of the driveway, even though my VP was a little over a 1yr old..i replaced the VP with one from D.I.S.in Louisville.. come to find our it was a Rocker come loose on #4 intake valve...My Truck doesn't fuel no where as hard, even w' my box on 4. very little smoke on 3x5 and 4x5..its like theres something blocking signal from the Edge juice

ive had it on the truck about 2 years it worked great before i put in a new vp44

• Owner

Did you try disabling all the limits and alarms on the Ardenaline? Really common for some to set a limit or a alarm too low and now the box has a hard time producing good power.RBurks has a good point to double check the valve lash... (small chance but every little bit helps!)How about errror codes? Is there something else that might be wrong keeping the truck from performing good? :shrug:

i am having a similar problem since installing my new injectors. when i test drove it i could get 30 to 32 punds of boost like always. but somewhere on the trip back to work i lost about 5 pounds and it does not seem to be fuel as hard. other than that everything else is pretty normal. the whole fuel system is praticaly new from the lift pump to the injectors. i did have this problem in the past before my ecm crapped out. but it went away with the new ecm. cant hlep but think i have a bad connction, ground, or something elctronic.

i was tinkering with the fuel lines and pulled the return line check valve off and it has a crack across one of the holes on it could this be causing me any of my problems? and what i mean by not running right is it has less power than it had befor the new pump and i can turn my tuner on level 10 and not see any more power and theres less smoke than on level 3. im not going for big smoke clowds or anything but it is a clue somethings wrong

while checking for problems i found one of the grounds for my banks had broken loose and i reconnected it. all is back to normal now. prior to this i had almost no smoke and power at higher rpms was way off. upon reconnecting the ground iam back to full power and 33 to 34 punds of boost and full fuel to the engine again.it smokes more now than it did before adding the rv 275's. no big cloud but i can see it in my mirroras far as the cracked check valve, i dont know.

• Like 2

so i fixed the cracked check valve now my fuel pressure seems to hold at 21 and 22, 18 and 19 wot(at least something got fixed today). i dont know where to start looking for grounds at. is there anything out there that tells you where the grounds are.

--- Update to the previous post...

another thing i forgot to mention a couple times my boost gauge would read 49 and 50 and when it did that it would smoke a ton on all levels like it started running how it was before the new pump but i dont know what would cause the 49 lbs of boost ive already sent my quadzilla back once already (now that the warrantee is gone ill bet they find something wrong)

good you got it fixed. your pressures are running a little from what i understand. i am runnin about 20 and 17. my understanding is 20 is the max you want to feed the vp, 10 bear minimum at wot. 14 or 15 is much more desirable. i need to turn mine down a liitle. all i got to do is take the time. i am gonna shoot for 18 and 15.mike has some wiring diagrams in the downloads the will show yo all of the grounds, but it doesnt show you exactly wher they are. the ground i had the problem with was on the banks tuner. i installed it and knew which one it was. it was easy to check especially since it was just flapping in the breeze. i would start with the wirring harnes for your quad, follow it and see if you can find its ground. mine had 2 one under the dash and one under the hood. as far as the other grounds, if you start digging around under the hood you will see wires attached to the chassis, body, or the engine block. they are all grounds and it doesnt take alot to take them loose, clean them up and reattach them. i would definately start with the quad though and anything around where you were working on the vp.as far as that boost i concerned 49# is whacky. if thats happening your gonna blow somethig up. turbo, head gasket, engine. thats out of my league. i must defer to the more educated on that one.one thing that would help us all out is to fill out your signature. got to the user cp and you will see how to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to the truck checked intercooler boots they are ok. grounds are good frome what i could actually find. could this have anything to do with wastgate or maybe I purchased another faulty vp44? my fuel mileage is falling as well i was getting 18 to 20 befor the new vp now i was getting around 16 now its getting 14 and its falling. injectors maybe?

Are there maybe injection pumps that have different fuel solenoids on them, sometimes you hear of 2 diff trucks running same chip or tuner, one smokes and the other one has more power. Seems to be the same with all including edge and quad, some people boost to 30, and some including myslf only 25psi.