• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What are my options...

cummins2k

So work comp issued me a settlement, no lawyer at all just decided to pay out. I guess I can just handle it myself but I can't afford time off work. What pisses me off the worst is I filled work comp for a work related injury. Sure a lot of people would be happy with the money they received from a work comp settlement but I am not. It doesn't matter the dollar amount. To me my hand is beyond value. Everything I do involves my hands. What really irks me is the system is structured around money. When someone is hurt on the job it shouldn't be about money. It should be about putting them back to functioning or better yet the same as before. They have done neither. Of course it was well documented. Can't complain about my doctors. They tried. In fact there were many things they wanted to try before work comp insurance said no just pay out. That is what gets me. Sure it may have been cheaper but I would rather be able to hold my work in my hand rather than see a check on the table. What even gets me even hotter is everyone I talk to tells me to get a lawyer and I can get more money. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE MONEY. I care about my mit. That is the ultimate reason for filling an injury. I have two little ones at home that need me to play transformers, spider man, etc...They don't care how much dad has rocking in the bank, neither does my work. My work expects me to perform. I can't do that nearly as well when one of my hands is at half mast. When are these politicians going to wise up and make the systems perform as they need to and not as something of monetary value.We don't need to know how much something is worth. Plain and simple. If I am in a car accident I want the insurance I pay for to cover my injury and car damage. Not write me a check. If my car is totaled then I expect to see a close to identical car sitting in my driveway. That is what I pay for. Not a check. I don't want you to monetize my injuries either. Don't say, well that injury is worth 50k. I want it fixed. That is why I purchase insurance. To put back what has gone wrong. Humanity has the knowledge to remove a beating heart and replace it with another and we can't fix a wrist?Sorry for the rant but this insurance crap has just got me hot under that collar.

• Owner

I got to admit after reading your post I'll admit you got you priorities right. Take care of the injury to hand and your family. Money isn't going to fix your hand nor take care of your family when your hand is injured...I agree with Gassernomore I would contact your company work comp group and talk to them again... :smart:

Im going to agree fully here i was involved in a car accident while in a company vehicle over a year ago, im still going through it all. Broke both tibia and fibia in both legs i now have metal rods and screws in both, shattered my heel bone in my right ankle and have a plate and plenty of screws now, broke my left wrist which required surgery and broke 6 ribs and my sternum. Believe me i know what your going through, between you and me we could probably write quite a novel. Hope it works out as best as possible for ya.-Jordan-

With all they can do medically, I personally feel they should make it right.

The problem, industry only knows and goes by the almighty dollar. Insurance companies, Workman Comp and industry ... the bottom line ... the money.

Does workmen comp / insurance company agree to $$$ plus medical cost for medical care ?

Does it cover recoup time ?

Does the doctors say it is repairable to normal or will there be a % of disability ?

Are they saying a one time payout and they are free and clear ?

Have you covered all options for YOURSELF ?

I don't want to sound like the companies or insurance companies, but to get what you want, you'll have to. Venting is good, they pis*%d me off in the past and I understand what you are going through. But you sound like a caring family man and want to cover your dependents. When they want to settle fast, they must feel they have a weak case and want to get it out of the way fast. I wouldn't slide on seeing a good lawyer.

They should see you're made physically right.

( I hate this, I'm sort of sounding like them).

I too recently had a work related injury. Long story short, I got into a fight with a big rock and rock my femur. Every one thinks that I lost but I am up and moving around and that rock has not moved since I kicked its @ss. Anyhow, my boss submitted a work comp claim and the insurance company has paid all my medical related bills. There has been no talk of a settlement, just submit my bills to the insurance and they pay them. I am not sure if I will receive a settlement or not, not really worried about it, it is more important to be able to get back on a horse and if there are complications down the road that I will still be covered for them. That might be what the insurance company is worried about, it is cheaper to pay a lot right now than have to worry about the cost down the road???

if you accepted the settlement, or signed stuff you may have ruined your chance of further assistance on the issue. It has been mentioned before,if you are not physically made as whole as possible (hand fixed) then an attourney needs to be sought in order to fight to get fixed.its just like someone rear ending you, your neck is messed up and then their insurance sends you a big fat check and something to sign. Well if you accept it and sign you waive your rights to pursue further litigation to get fixed and you are screwed.hope it all works out, workers comp may be different, ive never used it before.

I've been on workmen comp once in my life, and was reading their paperwork. READ CAREFULLY and make sure you comprehend all that is there.They are a form of insurance company and they love to make it wordy when they can, (in their favor). Read, UNDERSTAND and Maintain copies ... before your sign.

Some of you already know, I have Multiple Sclerosis... in the later Progressive Phase... I would give anything to be "whole" again. It's never going to happen. Even it a cure is found, it would take a miracle to reverse the nerve damage which I have accumulated. Impairment s*cks. I get very frustrated trying to do a simple job that requires 2 good hands. We have to live our lives as best we can, with what ever impairments & limitation we have. (If I feel sorry for myself, there are always others in worse shape than me.) That said, I would have a heart to heart with the best doctor you can find... work hard, do everything possible for maximum recovery. You do not want to accept a limitation that could have been reversed if X was done. Sometimes, there is a stratigy to delaying if better techniques are in the works.Best Wishes,Russ

Some of you already know, I have Multiple Sclerosis... in the later Progressive Phase... I would give anything to be "whole" again. It's never going to happen. Even it a cure is found, it would take a miracle to reverse the nerve damage which I have accumulated. Impairment s*cks. I get very frustrated trying to do a simple job that requires 2 good hands. We have to live our lives as best we can, with what ever impairments & limitation we have. (If I feel sorry for myself, there are always others in worse shape than me.) That said, I would have a heart to heart with the best doctor you can find... work hard, do everything possible for maximum recovery. You do not want to accept a limitation that could have been reversed if X was done. Sometimes, there is a stratigy to delaying if better techniques are in the works. Best Wishes, Russ

Russ, thru my life, with raising kids and try to help others when i could, i have many times used your exact statement, if you think you have it bad just look around and it wont take long to see someon who has it worse than you. coming from someone that has to deal with what you do puts an awful lot of meaning into those words. my hats off to you and it is a priveledge to be associated with you even in this limited way. You are the man. :thumb1: did not mean to get off subject there, i just felt that needed to be said.