• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My first gasser

ISX

Don't know how to start this being as degrading as it was for me to buy a gasser. Anyhow, I got a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 5 Speed 4wd 4.0 inline 6. My truck does not like to warm up in the winter at all because it runs too efficient, thermostat stays closed, everything. That being said, it only gets to 175F by the time I get to work (15 miles later) so it is never even at operating temp. I don't want to keep driving with a cold engine every single day so I decided to get something else. Obviously the issue is winter so I wanted a 4wd. A diesel was out of the question because although I can get a crappy one, I really want HEAT for once without waiting 10 miles. I read and read and found the most bulletproof thing I could get and the 5 speeds are rare but I got one thank god. Also has solid front axle so I don't have to mess with those ridiculous CV shafts. Everything looks good, even has air shocks on it so I can raise and lower it. So the beast will get put up for the winter so I can stop running it cold. I also hate driving a 2wd in the winter. Doesn't look like we are getting any snow any time soon nor have I even seen a snowflake yet but carrying a tow strap because you know you might need it just drives me insane. I think this jeep is getting 20mpg so I might break even on fuel costs, something I was worried about with getting a gasser. Of course, there is also the luxury of being able to tear my truck apart and having a backup :hyper:

I just made up a spreadsheet to track every single thing I do to it. Every date, every cost, every quantity, even tax amounts. Thus far I have yet to have 1/10 of $0.01 unaccounted for. I have exact things used like what oil I put in, part numbers, everything. Wish I had done it with my dodge but too late now. Not sure I want to know how much I have spent on that thing :lmao: I did finally get the 3.07 axle I always wanted. Wrong vehicle though lol. I like the gearing a lot, it has a lot higher 1st gear than the cummins so it does take a little finess to get it moving. It also has to be downshifted since it revs so low going up big hills, but I can live with that. It is hardly audible so that makes it a lot nicer than downshifting my cummins (like you ever have to with a cummins). I never liked listening to my truck over 2000RPM. So far I have gone 170 miles on half a tank. I got a build sheet out of Jeep and it says 20 gallon tank so at least I know its getting better than 10mpg. I'll be shocked if it gets better than 15 because I have been uhhh how do I put it, "testing it's limits" the whole time lol. Lots of idling and messing with things. I'll try for 20mpg out of the next tank. Owners manual says the whole contraption weighs 3000lbs so I would think it would be capable of some good mileage pretty easily. Time will tell.

The hardest thing I had to learn after buying my Cummins was shifting and running at the lower rpms the diesel runs at compared to my gasser. It took alittle while, especially pulling into traffic where 3500rpm was pretty normal to hit in that situation. I hope you enjoy it.

The hardest thing I had to learn after buying my Cummins was shifting and running at the lower rpms the diesel runs at compared to my gasser. It took alittle while, especially pulling into traffic where 3500rpm was pretty normal to hit in that situation. I hope you enjoy it.

I had to get used to it as well the acura I had before I got my dodge had a redline of 8k rpms lol I agree with mike lets see some pics! -Jordan-

I'll get pics someeeday. Finally topped it off after the initial fillup so I have a MPG reading now. 16.96, I thought it would be a lot worse from all the stuff I did to it, guess I said that in my last post. Which means, I will be good to it on this tank and it better show 20. I do like only spending $40 to fill up from the low fuel light :woot: I know it's just a mind game but it's still nice lol.

Don't hold your breath on the 20+mpg.. If you do get 20, consider yourself the chosen one.I've owned 5 Cherokees ('89 LTD, '93 Sport, 2-'96 Up-Countrys, '98 LTD). The 93 was the rare 5 speed. I never did see 20mpg in any of them. the '98 had a best of ~18.5mpg (20 once on the highway.) The '96s and the 93 were usually around 16-17mpg.The 4.0L is not known for "economy".. Especially the H.O. models.Things to expect/look out for are leaky seals in the 231 tcase; usually the output seals. The steering is typical Dodge truck style, only worse: it's bolted to a unibody.Head gasketsburnt valves #5 or #3