• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad accident...

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Last night i got a call from a friend down the road from me asking if I would look into the error codes in a vehicle for him. So We wrote them down and I reset the codes and took a ride in the car to see if the codes return. He got on the throttle and had that little car singin' at 85 MPH and he turned to me and said I got to back out of it because of deer I seen earlier. Well wasn't much more than 1/4 mile later we saw a little car pull off the side of the road with the front end crushed. Drove on slowly and sure enough a animal had be hit. Just a little bit farther and a mess load of sheriff and ambulance was working with another car. Needless to say what happen was a elk had started across the road and the first car that we seen clip him spun him into the on coming car and the elk with through the windshield severely injuring the driver and passenger of the other car. I beg of you please slow down there is absolutely no reason to drive 65, 75, or even 85 MPH anywhere. It really sad to see please get injured or the vehicles damaged because there are "Just driving the speed limit". We like these people found out speed limit doesn't mean it safe all the time and anything can step out in front of you in the dark.Yes... I chewed my buddies arse for the speed too. :spank:I pray you heed my message... :pray:

• Owner

Okay, so I am a good safe driver out there, reasonably so, but, what do you guys do about the speeders always tailgatin'?

Smoke switch?

Better yet...:stuned: A pair of 100w bulbs looking back at you. A flip of a switch and they usually back off.

Posted Image

I'm more and more becoming a 55 MPH person now. There is no where I can't go and get there in the roughly same amount of time as 65 MPH. So like going to Boise, ID I would leave about 30-45 minutes earlier and get there on time.

I never forget get my butt chewed on by another diesel truck owner asking me why I was driving so slow. I just asked him what his MPG was and he replied with 14-16 MPG. All I could do is laugh and reply with 22 MPG and pulled my ScanGauge II out and showed him. He just turned away and shut up. :lmao:

Okay, so I am a good safe driver out there, reasonably so, but, what do you guys do about the speeders always tailgatin'? Smoke switch?

Pay no attention to them. The only reason they are going fast is to make you look slow and act like they are king of the road. I know cause I used to do it. I still do it sometimes. If you do 90, I'll do 95.. It's pointless. We are human though and strive for an adrenaline rush. I have noticed it is a HUGE mind game. I get more of a rush out of my jeep when I floor it than the dodge, even though its much slower. It just seems to be trying a lot harder so it seems like you are that much closer to the limit of it blowing up whereas the dodge is just effortlessly flying. The cummins has way too much power, nobody needs to be getting up to speed as fast as it is capable of. I know a stock 2001 duramax I used to drive at a company had tons of power, it could pull anything, it sounded incredibly smooth, but it was the slowest thing ever. It might have taken 10 seconds to get to 60, however, with any load on it, it would still take 10 seconds to get to 60. That's how it should be. There is no reason to have a truck that can beat a camaro. It's nice to be able to when getting on interstates but geez, you can't make an exception for something like that when humanity will take advantage of that in a heartbeat. Uhhh ok the original advice, I get sidetracked. Ignore those speeders and let them do what they want. If they rearend you, it's their fault, everyone knows that. I'll whack my mirrors up so I don't even see them, crank up the radio and let them stew behind me as I continue driving however slow I want with complete satisfaction and without any care of their thoughts. I am courteous though, I drive at least the speed limit on a 2 lane or busy 4 lane (sometimes slower on a lonely 4 lane) and I am consistent, as in I am not one of those people who speed up when there is a chance to pass then slow down when you can't pass. This whole decade of diesel performance stuff is just a marketing thing the way I see it. It's like turning a cruise ship into a speed boat. I know it's possible with enough engine power but people take advantage of it. That is the entire key to it all, people take advantage. Sure you can pull your boat better with this chip, but most people don't even own a boat and will use it to race people. I was not in the diesel realm until I was 15 which wasn't exactly that long ago so I am not sure about this but I think the electronic thing is where it all started. You couldn't market stuff for a 12 valve easily because it meant a lot of labor was involved, but a 24V being plug it in and instant power, there was a huge market potential for a free 300TQ at the push of a button, but, people took advantage..... Why do I even post when I go all over the place with topics :banghead:

• Owner
:lmao::lmao2:I'm just like you now ISX... I just kick back and cruise with the cruise control set. The only time I get a bit concerned is when I can no longer see the hood of the car behind me then he gets a warning (blink of the backup lights) still there you get a cloud from the exhaust. By then most have giving up and backed off or gotten pissed and hauled on around. But its funny now hitch up my 31' Jayco and people are nice, don't tailgate, and are understandable about be traveling slower towing a trailer than traveling slower empty. Goes back to ISX race theory... But back in the days of fire fighting we all knew we were not limited by the speed laws and could exceed them for emergency calls. But after seeing several videos and safety classes about high speed driving and safety it was shocking how many accidents happen envolving emergency vehicles fire, ambulance, and even police. At that point the laws kick in hard and heavy on you. Well knowing this when driving I ask myself if a deer pop out on the road around the corner could I stop or avoid him without causing a accident? Or what happen if I came around the corner and Grandma is pulling out on the highway could I avoid a accident? The key factor comes back every time is speed. If your driving slower you can react to conditions easier because there is more time. So now after researching the speed laws in Idaho there is no minimum speed limit and you allowed to travel as slow as you wish as long as you yield to traffic behind you if there is more than 3 vehicles. Now this is with in reason of weather, road conditions, vehicle condition, etc. But the law does state if your traveling to fast and loose control of your vehicle you will be sited with a heavy fine regardless of you lost control at speeds below speed limit. So going back to the deer thought say he did pop out on the road and the speed limit is 65 MPH and your traveling 55 MPH and you swerve to miss him and end up in the ditch stuck and with vehicle damage. You will be sited for excessive speed for road conditions.Just more to think about...:whistle:

Okay, so I am a good safe driver out there, reasonably so, but, what do you guys do about the speeders always tailgatin'? Smoke switch?

If the road is dry i just let off the gas with the exhaust brake on, they pass pissed off... if there is snow on the road, im usually in 4wd and i turn the exhaust brake on, push clutch in, let off gas, downshift one gear and DROP the clutch, i stop as hard and fast on snow with the exhaust brake as i do on dry pavement. The look in their eyes as they are swerving to avoid rear ending me is priceless! then they back WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY the freak back!!! im planning a smoke switch as well to get tailgaters off my butt too.

• Owner

If the road is dry i just let off the gas with the exhaust brake on, they pass pissed off... if there is snow on the road, im usually in 4wd and i turn the exhaust brake on, push clutch in, let off gas, downshift one gear and DROP the clutch, i stop as hard and fast on snow with the exhaust brake as i do on dry pavement. The look in their eyes as they are swerving to avoid rear ending me is priceless! then they back WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY the freak back!!! im planning a smoke switch as well to get tailgaters off my butt too.

Man your cruel... :wow:

I dont get to do it in the snow but it does work very good on the highway. I very seldom have to do it more than once to get them to back off. If i cant see your head lights in the rear view, you are to close. I dont think i have ever driven ine in the snow since i have had the e brake.

• Staff

I love the light bulbs on the rear:lmao:.Last trip to Nevada (two weeks ago) I had a guy tailing me pretty close on black ice. Guys nuts right? I'm going along about 10 under, ignoring the guy. Next thing I see the guy is along side me going to pass, two lane highway, but, there's a car coming real close. Now the guy's an idiot with a death wish. I maintained my speed to let him back in behind, but it's too late, right?! so he goes over to the shoulder on the on coming traffic side and just barely clears the car coming. The on coming car went between us.:wow:. Can't believe it. Now, when there's a great chance to pass now he get's in behind me again :shrug:WTH!. I no longer wanted this guy near so I just pulled off the road. It was unbelievable and the roads looked like a glazed doughnut.Hey Mike, I kinda hyjacked your thread . Very sorry Boss:banghead:

Man your cruel... :wow:

dont tailgate me and you wont die! :whistle: if you do hit me, ehh i got a rattlecan of black paint to touch up the fun spots!

I dont get to do it in the snow but it does work very good on the highway. I very seldom have to do it more than once to get them to back off. If i cant see your head lights in the rear view, you are to close. I dont think i have ever driven ine in the snow since i have had the e brake.

i dont have a tailgate and i sometimes dont see peoples headlights. then i have fun!:evilgrin: