• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan Clutch

So, I noticed that my fan clutch is engaged almost ALL the time.. well, sorta. I started the truck this morning (18*F), and the fan was roaring.. I don't know why, or if it's normal, but it was almost as if it were in full lockup. This isn't the first time, and it doesn't seem to be temperature-dependent. Is this normal?

• Owner

On cold mornings the oil inside the fan clutch is super thick and tends to act like the fan is locked but after a short distance of getting a bit of R's behind the fan clutch it will unlock. Totally normal and I even see the same thing so the first range of gears I normally hear the fan drop out and unlock.But you'll have this...

• Owner

That's why the truck is idling and the rubber hose is used. The hose is not going to hurt the blades but its enough to stop the fan from turning so you can check and see if the fan clutch is actually unlocking. If the fan is stuck locked it will not slow down and you'll know its time. I've found 1 fan clutch on a 92 Dodge this way and it was lock solid.