• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

WIX Oil Filter?

Any opinions on the WIX Oil Filter? I saw the WIX 51607 listed on Rock Auto for $6.71 each in a case of 12. The Fleetguards are getting crazy $ even if I buy them by the half-dozen, but still worth it I figure. They also have FRAM's but I don't think I'll put any orange filters on MY truck.I know I've seen a chart showing which filters other than the Fleetguard to use but can't find it now...

• Staff

This just my opinion about Wix filters.... I don't think Wix are as good as they used to be. I stay with FleetGuard or Baldwin filters.The Wix has a flimsey package now... almost as thin as a grocery bag and I noticed that dirt can get into a new filter that way since it isn't sealed up well, a clog an oil galley which can make cause for an engine rebuild. I don't think alot of a company that doesn't care enough to keep the filters properly sealed.

I know that this topic always ends up with everyones personal beliefs and sometimes it can get intense. Sorry.. but, I use the WIX oil filter and do suggest if anyone does, get the XE series. But as to the shipping container, I have never had one that was any different that what I have seen with other manufactures. No, they do not press on a little plastic cover over the opening of the filter. But I have used them on my prior truck and went 400k without issues and my wife truck only had 65k on it and has been Wix's since the beginning. They may not be considered one of the best by some, but the XE's are good to use. It is determine by your personal desires and what you fell you want to spend on a filter. Unfortunately in my area, it's hard to get Donaldson, Baldwin and such unless you special order or order over the internet, which can cost the same or more. But I have had great service from Wix's so far.

• Staff

Jim, I appreciate your experience. I was also not aware of the XE series Wix filters. I only saw a flimsier carton than before and then no plastic cover. The carton opened so easily when you picked it up off the shelf. What if something got in there? Anyhow, I hope for your sake the box is a bit stronger on the ones your using. The ones I got were almost like grocery bags and could easily fall out and get dirty.Then one day I grabbed a Wix fuel filter, took it out of the box, can't remember if thats in plastic, but, it said made in Bangeledesh WTH, I thought! :shrug:

I think this is what your looking for,

Donaldson P558615 40um @ 98.7%, 20 @ 50% Cellulose

Fleetguard LF3972 30um @ 95% (35 @ 98.7% last info) Cellulose

Wix 57620 30um @ 95%, 20um @ 50% Cellulose

Wix 57620XE 25um @ 95%, 14um @ 50% Glass Enhanced Cellulose

Baldwin BT7349 30um @ 98.7%, 12um @ 50% Synthetic blend

Fleetguard LF16035 30um @ 100% (25um @ 98.7% last info) Stratapore Synthetic

Purolator L45335 20um @ 97.5% Cellulose

Purolator PL45335 20um @ 99.9% Synthetic

Amsoil EaO80 20um @ 100%, 15um @ 98.7%, 7um @ 59.97% Nanofiber Synthetic

Donaldson Elf7349 20um @ 100%, 15um @ 98.7%, 7um @ 59.97% Nanofiber Synthetic

Mobil 1 M1403 10um @ 50% Synthetic blend

I'm in the same boat as you. I cant get the Donaldson and Fleetgaurds where I'm at. The closest thing I have is an O'Reilly's and its a small one at that. Now looking at the information above and somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the Mobil 1 filter has a better rating then either of the Wix filters and its available at pretty much any parts store in the country.

Then one day I grabbed a Wix fuel filter, took it out of the box, can't remember if thats in plastic, but, it said made in BangEledesh WTH,I thought! :shrug:

That's a big problem with me, most everything I find is made in another country or parts are made in another country. I'm old fashion and would like to see at least most of what I can select made in the country I live in. But it seems most are made elsewhere and ASSEMBLED here at most. I have yet to pick up a box and the part falls through. (I guess anything is possible since everyone is getting cheap in their packaging). And I usually look down the opening to see if it's clear ... old habit I guess. But it's been a very long time since I was able to buy Donaldson or Baldwin so I now have a limited experience with them. I changed out the fuel/water separator filter and the Wix's had a thin plastic seal over the opening. Forgot if the final filter had one or not. Last experience was with a Donaldson fuel filter and water/fuel separator filter. And they were packaged the same as the Wix I get now. Did they change ? It was mentioned in this thread of the Mobil 1 filter. In my area, (I must be way in the sticks), I can go to AutoZone or O'Reilly's and such, but to get them, but it's a special order to have them included in their next order deliver to the story. There is a Cummins Filtration office in the area, and they actually have the products going through the building. I tried to see if I can buy there. They said they do not deal with the public and I need to find a store that sell their products. I might be an a** for thinking this. But if they in the business of selling filters, why not sell filters ? The lady wouldn't go as far as to tell me who in the area I can go to and see of buying from.

• Staff

There is a Cummins Filtration office in the area, and they actually have the products going through the building. I tried to see if I can buy there. They said they do not deal with the public and I need to find a store that sell their products. I might be an a** for thinking this. But if they in the business of selling filters, why not sell filters ? The lady wouldn't go as far as to tell me who in the area I can go to and see of buying from.

I hate it when a business acts like that.... not even enough common courtesy to give you some info. I once inquired about buying some UHMW plastic from a company for a special application. The lady was rude, quoted a very high price and hung up on me while I was still talking. That bothered me so one day when I was in that area on a sunday I stopped by their dumpster. According to this lady and her prices, so far, I have found about 850 dollars worth just goin pickin':hyper: Someday I need to send her a thank you card.

Any opinions on the WIX Oil Filter? I saw the WIX 51607 listed on Rock Auto for $6.71 each in a case of 12. The Fleetguards are getting crazy $ even if I buy them by the half-dozen, but still worth it I figure. They also have FRAM's but I don't think I'll put any orange filters on MY truck. I know I've seen a chart showing which filters other than the Fleetguard to use but can't find it now...

Expensive? i buy mine by the case a Case of 3959's cost me $9.21 a filter? Im also a frequent client of the Local Cummins Shop, and they don't charge shipping if you are not in a rush, so i buy a case of filters, and always send them a gift basket at the holidays.... there is no such thing as a half case, its a full case of 12, what i did was aks where the price break was, and they said 12. the next one was at i think 60 and then it was another dollar off. It makes me wonder about the GDP, and other sites where they charge 14 a filter.:shrug:

It was mentioned in this thread of the Mobil 1 filter. In my area, (I must be way in the sticks), I can go to AutoZone or O'Reilly's and such, but to get them, but it's a special order to have them included in their next order deliver to the story.

Sorry, I assumed on the Mobil 1 filters being in stock. Every one that I've been to, here in Texas and at home in Arizona have had them so I figured it was a common thing through out the country

Sorry, I assumed on the Mobil 1 filters being in stock. Every one that I've been to, here in Texas and at home in Arizona have had them so I figured it was a common thing through out the country

They tend for other items in the different areas of the country. They are heavy in Fram, Wix's and such. When I lived on the west coast, they had Fram, NAPA (wix), Purolator, and before I left I seen Mobil 1 everywhere. They were the popular ones. Also the cost was more on average.

I live outside of a very small town in a rural community of the state and 100 miles either way from the so call BIG metropolitan towns. Like in the middle of no where (literally). I really don't like going that far for a filter.

Soon I will be traveling to see my kids and grandkids @ the west coast and might look into buying what I need for the next year and stock them @ home. (Depends on how much the wife spends going crazy with the grandkids.)

• Staff

For an oil filter the XE isn't horrible, it's better than the Fleeguard OEM filter. This thread is about oil filters, but a few 3rd gen fuel filter comments have been made, so I'll chime in. Wix does not make or sell a fuel filter for the 03-07 5.9 that meet's OEM specs, and OEM spec's don't meet Bosch specs.. i.e. a Wix fuel filter should NEVER be in a 03-07 5.9.

Just figured Id throw in my .02. Ive been running Wix filters since Ive owned my truck (almost 40k miles) and weve used Wix filters 90% of the time on all of our equipment at work (1/2 ton chevys with v6's to John deere 310 backhoes all the way up to a Peterbuilt 379) for at least the 5 years that ive been there with zero issues.-Jordan-