• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dorkweeds Wood.............................PG

dorkweed

Had an hour to kill today, so I got some wood!!!! Not that kind ISX!!!! Maybe a bit less than a face, I'd say. Yesterday it was under 4-5 inches of snow. It's almost 65* here today!!! Gotta cut it and stack whist you can!!! Here's some pix for y'all.

post-7-138698184776_thumb.jpg

post-7-138698184782_thumb.jpg

post-7-138698184792_thumb.jpg

post-7-138698184797_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, but your gonna need to put that firewood somewhere else than the front yard. I dunno about your area, but if there are others who like to burn wood, they WILL take it. Wood thieves are not such an uncommon thing!

• Like 1

• Owner

Yeah, but I got a lot of ash!!! In fact, I have more ash available to me than I know how to handle!!!! What do you have, Mike??? Buahahahahahah!!!!

Pine, Spruce, Alpine Fir, Red Fir, White Fir, Tamarack (Larch), Lodge Pole Pin... All Soft wood...

:lmao2::lmao::lmao2: BEWARE THE SCREAMIN BEAVERS. THEY LIVE IN THE WOODS :lmao2::lmao::lmao2:

Where else would they live? With you??? :tongue:

man you guys sure do like wood.... remind me to keep my lumber away from y'all... :nono:

Screamin' Beavers don't like lumber... It's the beauty of watching the tree fall... :woot:

Believe it or not, but your gonna need to put that firewood somewhere else than the front yard. I dunno about your area, but if there are others who like to burn wood, they WILL take it. Wood thieves are not such an uncommon thing!

Well... He's right I've heard of firewood thieves here even... But I've go no room to talk mine is right in the driveway... :ahhh:

It's all split and stacked in the backyard now.............but I hear you!! All my neighbors know that I have guns and think I'm a renegade. Plus I have 2 dogs!! No one will mess with it in the backyard. Here's some pix of my ASH!!!!!

post-7-138698184861_thumb.jpg

post-7-138698184867_thumb.jpg

nice! I've got tons of red oak here. I've still got 1/2 truck load I've yet to unload.. maybe this weekend I'll get around to it; I've been so friggin busy at work.

This is gonna be my first venture into wood burning stoves. I'm actually looking for wood (such as ash) that dries and seasons quickly, so I can use it next winter. The stove I bought is Non-Catalytic, but the newer stoves require very dry wood to function properly and not create a soot monster for a chimney fire..................hence the want/need for quick drying wood. I've read on Hearth.com that oak takes about 2 if not 3 years to "season".........where the moisture is under 20%.

This is gonna be my first venture into wood burning stoves. I'm actually looking for wood (such as ash) that dries and seasons quickly, so I can use it next winter. The stove I bought is Non-Catalytic, but the newer stoves require very dry wood to function properly and not create a soot monster for a chimney fire..................hence the want/need for quick drying wood.

I've read on Hearth.com that oak takes about 2 if not 3 years to "season".........where the moisture is under 20%.

^ true. I've got wood stacked that's been split for 2 yrs now, and will sometimes push water out the end when I throw it on the coals..

I have a Tremont forced-air insert, and love it. I just wished it was a little bigger, as I have to cut/split to no longer than about 20" long and no more than about 6-8" diameter, else it won't fit through the door :banghead:

--- Update to the previous post...

...and oak burns way hotter, longer.. just how she likes it.. :)

It's all split and stacked in the backyard now.............but I hear you!! All my neighbors know that I have guns and think I'm a renegade. Plus I have 2 dogs!! No one will mess with it in the backyard. Here's some pix of my ASH!!!!!

..what the two small dogs in your avatar? :lol:

ALL hardwood is going to take time to season. Denser wood does not allow the water to escape the wood quickly. But when its dry, its worth the wait!

GOOD JOB! Way to go on not getting a catalytic stove! Some would beg to differ, and argue with me about it being better. Honestly though, when you have to spend upwards of $400 for a new catalytic converter for your stove every 4 or so years, it just is NOT worth it! Sure, it may be more inefficient, but you don't have to worry about your stove "breaking down" on you when you NEED it!

There is nothing simpler and more warming to my spirit than the security of a nice, roaring fire! :thumbup2:

Now, from some other forums I have joined, I will show you a picture of how I think you ought to be stacking your wood!

Posted Image

You should stack all your wood on pallets. Then, stack them in a criss-crossing manner for strength and keep it from falling over. Stacking the pieces in like a puzzle to make a good tight fit. After, cover the top with a tarp so the weather stays out. The sides will see air circulation and the suns heat to allow the wood to dry.

The science behind it is that the shorter you cut your firewood the quicker it dries, if you do it naturally. The cells within the wood harbor the water. The shorter the distance they have to travel out of the wood the quicker it dries. Exposed ends to the wood is the key. Don't be fooled into thinking anything else. It does not matter if the bark is on it or not.

Fortunately for me, when I was selling firewood, I could sell a cord of Fir/Birch/Tamarack in less than 6 months. Its all in the method of stacking for drying. No, I never did rip anyone off. I have a moisture meter to prove its seasoned at 12% MC.

• 2 weeks later...