• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Spring runoff...

• Owner

Well gang... Tales of living in the country. Coming back from McCall, ID and past my neighbors place and notices a new runoff. :wow: That don't belong there. So I got home toss everything on the counter and hopped on the ATV and bailed up the mountain. With all the spring runoff the creek that supplies the irrigational dam is running high. The neighbor pulls water out above me and hasn't been paying attention much to his ditch. So with the high running water it pull all the debris down to a culvert and plugged it! :ahhh: So quick thinking using my poke stick I keep at this culvert I kept poking till I seen a whirlpool form... Gotcha! Now a bit of history the ditch was just dug out this last fall and water levels were low so now with high spring run off the ditch was washing all the debris down. The ditch has to go into a culvert and cross a feild and back to a ditch again. At the mouth of the culvert is 2 screens the first one plugged up and washed around it and then plugged up the second one. Even just 2 days ago I was up there and clean them both and went over to the neighbors house and told him to take a ride up for the next few days to keep an eye on it. It didn't happen... :rolleyes: NOAA's forcast for us...

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK IDC003-015-025-039-045-085-087-ORC001-302100- HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID 123 PM MDT THU MAR 29 2012 /1223 PM PDT THU MAR 29 2012/ ...INCREASED FLOOD POTENTIAL THROUGH THE WEEKEND... VERY MOIST CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AS A SERIES OF STORMS IMPACTS THE REGION. PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN ARE EXPECTED THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT ACROSS THE BLUE MOUNTAINS IN BAKER COUNTY OREGON...AND THE WEST CENTRAL AND BOISE MOUNTAINS IN IDAHO. RUNOFF FROM RAIN AND SNOW MELT WILL CAUSE CREEKS...STREAMS...AND RIVERS TO RISE AND INCREASE FLOOD POTENTIAL THROUGH THE WEEKEND. THE NEXT STORM SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO ARRIVE TONIGHT...WITH ADDITIONAL STORMS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. EACH OF THESE STORMS WILL BRING WIDESPREAD ONE HALF TO ONE INCH AMOUNTS OF PRECIPITATION TO THE BLUE MOUNTAINS IN OREGON...AND THE WEST CENTRAL..AND BOISE MOUNTAINS IN IDAHO. SNOW LEVELS WILL RISE TO 6000 TO 7000 FEET TONIGHT...THEN RISE FURTHER TO 7000 TO 8000 FEET FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. HEAVY SNOW WILL BE CONFINED TO THE HIGHEST PEAKS WITH RAIN FALLING IN MOUNTAIN VALLEYS. LARGE RIVERS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO REACH FLOOD LEVEL...BUT SMALLER CREEKS AND STREAMS...AND THE WEISER RIVER WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED CLOSELY FOR FLOODING THROUGH THE WEEKEND. THE WEISER AND PAYETTE RIVERS ARE FORECAST TO SHOW SIGNIFICANT RISES TO JUST BELOW FLOOD STAGE BY SUNDAY. ROCK AND MUD SLIDES...AND RUNOFF ALONG MOUNTAIN HIGHWAYS AND SECONDARY ROADS MAY ALSO BECOME A PROBLEM. PEOPLE IN FLOOD PRONE AREAS SHOULD KEEP ABREAST OF WATER LEVELS AND MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

Sound like a typical farmer around here............don't do anything unless there's $$$$ INVOLVED!!!!! Farmers are "THE" biggest polluters on the planet now.........if you want to "TRULY" look into FACTS!!!Mike.......he's probably waiting for it to back up onto his property,,,,,,,flood it,,,,,,, and then petition the government to pay him for it!!!!!! Why does this surprise you???!!!!

• Owner

Ummm... The ditch where it plugged up is on State Ground... Wouldn't matter to him... :rolleyes:

--- Update to the previous post...

Wow! Finally I'm back on the air again... I lost power at 6:08am this morning from a tree that fell through the power line about 8 miles from home. Power was restored at about 2:00pm...

I'm very thankful for my power system. Still had lights, water, etc... No problems here just no phone or internet... :whistle:

It still raining... And now the ground water level is now high enough that its flooding out the guest house.:( I walked in the guest house and found the water leaking up through the floor. Just like it was back in the 1996/1997 Idaho flood. I'm going up to a friends house in the morning to get a sump pump and see if I can dig a hole deep enough near the building that I can keep the water level down low enough to keep out of the building. But I think the carpet is a loss now... :cry:

Ummm... The ditch where it plugged up is on State Ground... Wouldn't matter to him... :rolleyes:

Wow! Finally I'm back on the air again... I lost power at 6:08am this morning from a tree that fell through the power line about 8 miles from home. Power was restored at about 2:00pm...

I'm very thankful for my power system. Still had lights, water, etc... No problems here just no phone or internet... :whistle:

It still raining... And now the ground water level is now high enough that its flooding out the guest house.:( I walked in the guest house and found the water leaking up through the floor. Just like it was back in the 1996/1997 Idaho flood. I'm going up to a friends house in the morning to get a sump pump and see if I can dig a hole deep enough near the building that I can keep the water level down low enough to keep out of the building. But I think the carpet is a loss now... :cry:

Water damage is a PITA! Just got back from another long drive from Kamiah. From there up until CDA, the fields were FLOODED! Naturally made lakes out in pastures. Poor cows, surrounded by water! It was like they were stranded on an island... I wonder if they have ever thought about what they would do if they were stranded on and island like us. Hope they did not get stuck with a cow they did not like! :lmao:

Sound like a typical farmer around here............don't do anything unless there's $$$$ INVOLVED!!!!! Farmers are "THE" biggest polluters on the planet now.........if you want to "TRULY" look into FACTS!!! Mike.......he's probably waiting for it to back up onto his property,,,,,,,flood it,,,,,,, and then petition the government to pay him for it!!!!!! Why does this surprise you???!!!!

Sorry to hijack here but I'd like to see some of these facts. I'm a farmer and I'd like to see what we're doing that's causing so much pollution.
  • Like 1

• Owner

Mother Nature is going to pour the coals to the weather for tommorow. :cry:

A chance of showers, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after noon. Some of the storms could produce small hail, gusty winds, and heavy rain. High near 65. Breezy, with a south wind between 11 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK

IDC003-015-025-039-045-085-087-ORC001-312100-

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID

146 PM MDT FRI MAR 30 2012 /1246 PM PDT FRI MAR 30 2012/

...FLOOD POTENTIAL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND...

WET CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND AS A

SERIES OF STORMS IMPACTS THE REGION. PERIODS OF MODERATE TO

OCCASIONAL HEAVY RAIN ARE EXPECTED THROUGH SUNDAY ACROSS THE BLUE

MOUNTAINS IN BAKER COUNTY OREGON...AND THE WEST CENTRAL AND BOISE

MOUNTAINS IN IDAHO. RUNOFF FROM RAIN AND SNOW MELT WILL CAUSE

CREEKS...STREAMS...AND RIVERS TO RISE AND INCREASE FLOOD POTENTIAL

THROUGH THE WEEKEND. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE SATURDAY

AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING WITH LOCAL HEAVY DOWNPOURS JUST AHEAD OF

A STRONG COLD FRONT.

LARGE RIVERS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO REACH FLOOD LEVEL...BUT THE

WEISER AT WEISER AND PAYETTE AT EMMETT WILL COME VERY CLOSE. THE

WEISER AND PAYETTE RIVERS ARE FORECAST TO SHOW SIGNIFICANT RISES TO

JUST BELOW FLOOD STAGE BY SUNDAY. A FLOOD WATCH OR A WARNING MAY BE

NEEDED IF CONDITIONS WARRANT. ROCK AND MUD SLIDES...AND RUNOFF ALONG

MOUNTAIN HIGHWAYS AND SECONDARY ROADS MAY ALSO BECOME A PROBLEM.

PEOPLE IN FLOOD PRONE AREAS SHOULD KEEP ABREAST OF WATER LEVELS AND

MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

FLOOD ADVISORY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID

445 PM MDT FRI MAR 30 2012

IDC003-310430-

/O.NEW.KBOI.FA.Y.0005.120330T2245Z-120331T0430Z/

/00000.N.RS.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

ADAMS ID-

445 PM MDT FRI MAR 30 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BOISE HAS ISSUED A

* SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR RAIN AND MELTING SNOW IN...

CENTRAL ADAMS COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL IDAHO...

* UNTIL 1030 PM MDT.

* AT 437 PM MDT...HEAVY RAINFALL AND MELTING SNOW IS CAUSING SMALL

STREAM FLOODING ALONG THE WEISER RIVER WEST OF U.S. HIGHWAY 95 FROM

10 MILES NORTH OF COUNCIL TO MILE MARKER 32 NEAR THE JUNCTION OF THE

NORTH FORK OF THE WEISER WITH THE MAIN WEISER RIVER.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...LOW LYING AREAS ALONG THE WEISER RIVER.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE ELEVATED LEVELS ON

SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS...AND PONDING OF WATER ON LOW LYING AREAS

ADJACENT TO THE WEISER RIVER.

MOST FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES. NEVER DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO

AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. FLOOD WATERS ARE USUALLY

DEEPER THAN THEY APPEAR. JUST ONE FOOT OF FLOWING WATER IS POWERFUL

ENOUGH TO SWEEP VEHICLES OFF THE ROAD. WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED

ROADS MAKE THE SMART CHOICE...TURN AROUND...DONT DROWN.

Guest house is a loss... Its flooded out 1" deep with water... My neighbor down the road has a mudslide for a driveway now... It's getting ugly with the runoff the creek is now getting muddy and plugging the culvert head for the river... So it might run over the top of the highway soon. :duh:

Please say a few prayers for us in Idaho... :pray:

I spent the better part of the morning with a shop vacuum and a rug shampooer trying to suck up as much water as possible. I know the carpet is a loss... But might as a well protect everything else.

Then the culvert that our creek run back through was starting to plug up this morning so battling the pressure of the water I managed to stab the shovel in a few times and break part of the jam up.

Then took a ride up the mountain checked on the irriagation system the dam is starting to fill up with debris and rocks. But there is absolutely nothing I can do till the high water stops.

For a little bit, I used to think that Idaho was a great state to live in because of natural disasters. Then that perspective changed quick. We may not get tornados, hurricanes or tsunamis, but we can get fallout from volcano's and we can get earthquakes and flooding! I think I will choose a higher spot... Our water table in our area is SHALLLLOOOOOW! We cannot even have basements without risk water coming in.

Here is what happened...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7G3xcEZKhw

Mike, I dunno what resources you have around you, but I kick into the firefighter mode when I see this. If your department does it, I know we do it, they should have burlap for the public to make sandbags when flood season hits. I would start trying to get a stock going of sandbags. Then get a water pump to suck out the water. Any area where the water is coming from, I would start diverting the water as best as possible.

Get all your furniture out of the house ASAP and get them dry. Start trying to suck all that water up and get some fans and heat in the house to get it dry. Hopefully you can get it done before the water rot kicks in!

If you have tarps BTW, put those down on the ground before you do your sandbags. That will help keep the water from penetrating through the bags.

Might want to look into creating a runoff area around your property where you have water problems. Dig some ditches and fill with rock....

:duh: Either way, looks like a PITA! Best of luck, my friend!

• Owner

Well the rain that was suippose to come last night didn't show up at all... :woot:Things are still drying out... Now I got to get a hold of Relentless70 and see if I can horse trade with him... I need a second able body to help move furnature around and start yanking up carpet. Messy wet and heavy job...

Sorry to hijack here but I'd like to see some of these facts. I'm a farmer and I'd like to see what we're doing that's causing so much pollution.

Hey, it's nothing personal................farmers are great folks.............just mostly "nearsighted"!!! If you can tell me with a straight face if the stuff you spray, spread, broadcast, inject, knife etc. into and onto the ground is good for anything but the crops you're growing..............I'll gladly say I'm an idiot. I've worked at fertilizer plants, farms etc.........where I wouldn't drink the water from the wells because of the run off!!! I threw the ball back, so go try it again.

• Owner

Well thank you to the help of Relentless 70 today... He came up and gave me a big hand moving furniture out in the shop and getting all the carpet pulled up and out to the dump. Boy I'll tell you all the carpet was soaking wet yet. So wet that when we threw it on the trailer it was running water all over the place. Then Relentless70's brother came up with a killer idea to prevent this from happening again. Since all the carpet is pulled up and the concrete is exposed... We are going to cut a groove in the floor about 4-5 inches wide then lay in a perforated drain field pipe and stub it out the fondation of the house. Plan on putting 2 pipes in to hopefully keep this from happening again!I'll grab some pics of the house in the morning... I'm a bit tired...:rolleyes:(Ummm... You guys need to tone down just a bit on the :hijack: and :dnftt:...)

Hey, it's nothing personal................farmers are great folks.............just mostly "nearsighted"!!!

If you can tell me with a straight face if the stuff you spray, spread, broadcast, inject, knife etc. into and onto the ground is good for anything but the crops you're growing..............I'll gladly say I'm an idiot.

I've worked at fertilizer plants, farms etc.........where I wouldn't drink the water from the wells because of the run off!!!

I threw the ball back, so go try it again.

I can tell you that that stuff is bad for the soil health!! I'm mostly a cattle farmer so we don't use a lot of chemical but I've been learning in recent years how awful all the chemicals really are. I didn't take it personal, just wondered a little more precisely what you were refering to!

Glad you have good help there Mike. Been there done that with wet carpets and all that goes with it. Not fun!

Mike, since the guest house is on a slab, you would need to be careful you don't cut through and water or electrical lines or drains. Since the ground is still soft I would rent a backhoe and trench around the slab, put in a shallow layer of gravel and then put perforated pipe in and then top off with gravel. run the pipe off somewhere out of the way. Your water problems should be cured once and for all, when the water tables high. http://www.mywaterproofing.com/Interior_Drainage.asp http://ddaconstruction.com/frenchdrains.shtml

The wood shed side is dug out below the foundation level already and there is no water there. :shrug:

Then I would submit that the guest house is built on top of an underground spring. Have a similar situation with my current house. Thank goodness it sits on a crawlspace. When ever it rains heavy for a day or so I get water under the house, which sits on top of a rise / hill. At the bottom of the rise about 1/4 mile away is a creek. The yard around the house is graded such that all the water should run away from the house, not under it. :doh:

• Owner

Now hence the idea of cutting the floor and laying in the pipe to drain away trapped water. After relizing the the old motorhome shed was dug down below the foundation level and that area isn't filling with water at the same time the house was so there is a underground spring under the house that is directly related to the runoff behind the main house.Because even Relentless70 brother suggested digging down next to the foundation to see if it would pool up... Well it should of on the wood shed side then...