• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thermostats

Since this is in the CR section, stock is 190°, with full open being 207°, max allowed 225°. I see a 2nd gen in your sig and they are 180° with full open being at 198°, max allowed 215°.

Where are you finding the info on the tstat? Mine came with a 190* when new or at least the temp gauge used to sit rock solid at 190 except when idleing. I tried to find it in the FSM but was unsecessful.

• Owner

Since this is in the CR section, stock is 190°, with full open being 207°, max allowed 225°. I see a 2nd gen in your sig and they are 180° with full open being at 198°, max allowed 215°.

Let me clear that up... Early 2nd Gen's (1994-1998) is 180*F Thermostat. Late 2nd Gen's (1998.5-2002) is 190*F Thermostat.

• Staff

Where are you finding the info on the tstat? Mine came with a 190* when new or at least the temp gauge used to sit rock solid at 190 except when idleing. I tried to find it in the FSM but was unsecessful.

quickserve

Let me clear that up...

Early 2nd Gen's (1994-1998) is 180*F Thermostat.

Late 2nd Gen's (1998.5-2002) is 190*F Thermostat.

According to your ESN you got a 180°.

[TABLE=class: box]

[TR]

[TD]Standard Modulating Thermostat - Range[/TD]

[TD]84 to 91°C [184 to 195°F][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Maximum Allowed Operating Temperature[/TD]

[TD]100°C [212°F][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Minimum Recommended Operating Temperature[/TD]

[TD]71°C [160°F][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

ISX's ESN states

Standard Modulating Thermostat - Range

[TABLE=class: box, width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]B3.9, B4.5 and B5.9[/TD]

[TD]82 to 93°C [180 to 199°F][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Maximum Allowed Operating Temperature

[TABLE=class: box, width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]B3.9, B4.5 and B5.9[/TD]

[TD]102°C [215°F][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

My 05 is

Standard Modulating Thermostat - Range

Automotive Applications

With EGR88 to 97°C [190 to 207°F]

With EGR107°C [225°F]

• Like 1

Geez, what does quickserve no anyway. I put a cummins 180 in mine to see if that was part of my over cooling problem and it ran so cold I took it out 2 days later. My serial # is 56853981. I wonder what it says when ever you are on there again. Some places I have looked a tstat's show both 180 and 190, they just dont say which was stock.

• 8 months later...

very informative I've had a duramax for a few years and it normally warms up even in cold weather (-deg) in about 15 mins idle I just got a 05 dodge and it wont fully warm up at idle and takes around 15 to 20 mins of driving to start to blow warm air is this a sign of a bad thermostat?

very informative I've had a duramax for a few years and it normally warms up even in cold weather (-deg) in about 15 mins idle I just got a 05 dodge and it wont fully warm up at idle and takes around 15 to 20 mins of driving to start to blow warm air is this a sign of a bad thermostat?

duramax, 8 pistons with more surface areas to waterjacket=less warm up time cummins, 6 pistons less surface area to the waterjacket= more warm up time. try plugging in the block heater couple hours before u depart, warm up will be less than 10 min
  • Like 1

While were changing thermostats. What type of coolant is recommended? I`ve always stuck with the classic green in my old stuff, but the high dollar orange stuff is for aluminun radiators, heads, and such? Right?

• Staff

The coolant is HOAT from the factory, which is Zerex G-05. G-05 is known to not play well with others, so I would stick with that. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1301-Coolant-Flush-on-a-3rd-Gen?highlight= As for the warm-up time. The Cummins is a cold blooded SOB, and idling produces little to no heat. Cold idling is about the worst thing you can do for a diesel engine (other than excessive cylinder heat). Cummins warns against idling more than 10 minutes on a warm engine, and no more than 3-5 on a cold one. The best thing you can do is plug it in with a timer, start it, let it run for about 30 seconds or a little more and drive it slowly.

• Like 1

The coolant is HOAT from the factory, which is Zerex G-05. G-05 is known to not play well with others, so I would stick with that. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1301-Coolant-Flush-on-a-3rd-Gen?highlight= As for the warm-up time. The Cummins is a cold blooded SOB, and idling produces little to no heat. Cold idling is about the worst thing you can do for a diesel engine (other than excessive cylinder heat). Cummins warns against idling more than 10 minutes on a warm engine, and no more than 3-5 on a cold one. The best thing you can do is plug it in with a timer, start it, let it run for about 30 seconds or a little more and drive it slowly.

When it's cold and I'm going to work, I only let my truck idle for as long as it takes to back out of my garage, hitch up my work trailer, close the garage door................then I'm heading down the road. Usually less than 5 minutes.

• Staff

When it's cold and I'm going to work, I only let my truck idle for as long as it takes to back out of my garage, hitch up my work trailer, close the garage door................then I'm heading down the road. Usually less than 5 minutes.

About perfect! Good oil flow to all the components, but not pumping fuel into cold cylinders for too long.