• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Raptor FRRP and 1/2" line

I have all the parts and pieces to install my Raptor and 1/2" fuel line. I will post some pictures as I go along. I am using the stock fuel filter but am also installing a remote fuel filter(Carquest 86353) and water seperator(86439). I have a short box so room is limited under the truck and I am looking at installing the filters and then the fuel pump. Other than when I change filters, possible having air in the system and having to bleed it out, does anyone know of any problem with doing it this way? I can put the fuel pump first, but it will take a little more engineering. Also one advantage I can see is that the fuel will be filtered before the pump, which may help keep the pump going for a longer time.

That is a nice mounting bracket. I am looking at mounting my pump in front of the transfer case, this will give me room to mount it and also be out of the way. I am glad to hear that you have not had any problems with a filter first, all that I have seen have been pump first and then the filters. I hope to start the install sometime this week.

I ordered and just installed a big line kit from the stock filter to the VP-44. I will be installing a 1/2" draw straw, 1/2" line from the tank up to the stock filter, but I will also be installing an aftermarket filter and water seperator. My concern is that very few people put the aftermarket filter before the fuel pump. With limited room under my shortbed, this is how I will be doing it so I am hopeful that it will not be a problem.

Not good design practice to put tight filtration on the suction side of a pump. I used this to protect the pump... http://www.genosgarage.com/FLEETGUARD-UNIVERSAL-IN-LINE-FUEL-FILTER-SCREEN/productinfo/FF5079/ Better description here... http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FF5079 Here's one with 1/2" hose barbs... http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FF5289 Some water separators are 24 micron or coarser - that would probably be ok on the suction side of the pump. I would recommend putting the fuel filter on the pressure side just like the OEM design. Just my opinion. That & 50 cents might get you a cup of coffee at the corner diner. Joe in St Louis

I ordered and just installed a big line kit from the stock filter to the VP-44. I will be installing a 1/2" draw straw, 1/2" line from the tank up to the stock filter, but I will also be installing an aftermarket filter and water seperator. My concern is that very few people put the aftermarket filter before the fuel pump. With limited room under my shortbed, this is how I will be doing it so I am hopeful that it will not be a problem.

• Like 1

Not good design practice to put tight filtration on the suction side of a pump. I used this to protect the pump... http://www.genosgarage.com/FLEETGUARD-UNIVERSAL-IN-LINE-FUEL-FILTER-SCREEN/productinfo/FF5079/ Better description here... http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FF5079 Here's one with 1/2" hose barbs... http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FF5289 Some water separators are 24 micron or coarser - that would probably be ok on the suction side of the pump. I would recommend putting the fuel filter on the pressure side just like the OEM design. Just my opinion. That & 50 cents might get you a cup of coffee at the corner diner. Joe in St Louis

This is what I use on mine before the fass and my grandpa uses the 1/2 barded filter before his raptor.

Tagging on this thread. I have a w/f and filter unit already on, but have been looking into just a plain FASS lift pump and was considering routing the fuel through the filter units first and then the pump. I'd like to see where this goes and what pictures happen. Also, with my oversize fuel tank, even on a long bed, room is somewhat limited for this.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have some time and a dry shop to do some work on the truck. I have a draw straw that I am going to install in an old in tank pump, that way I can have the suction in the basket. I have fabricated some mounting brackets for the Raptor and filter setup. Also I bought some 1/2" hose and some fittings to run 1/2" line the whole way up. I will be keeping the oe filter housing and have a big line kit to go from the factor filter to the VP.post-10349-13869818797_thumb.jpgHere are some of the parts and pieces of the fuel system. I will figure how to install the pump and filters and still have them protected. Not sure how it will look as of yet, that will be the fun part.

post-10349-13869818795_thumb.jpg

post-10349-13869818796_thumb.jpg

where did you get your dual filter base at? I have been wanting to add some filters to my truck.

I was actually doing scrap at the time. I got a call to remove a refridgeration unit, it had a Kabota engine and that was the filter setup that it had on it. I still have the Kabota engine, thought that I might use it someday, now I am thinking that I should try and sell it. You might want to check Napa or Carquest. The filters I bought for it came from Carquest, so they might sell them there. Wish that I could be of more help, they must be out there, I just am not sure where to look. I do not know if it will help, but the filter numbers are 86353 and 86439, they may be able to cross reference then numbers and come up with something, good luck.

If this is any help, my filter bases for the fuel/water and final filters are Baldwin FB1311Here's the specs:[TABLE=width: 95%][TR][TD]FB1311 Fuel Filter Base[/TD][/TR][TR][TD=class: plaintext]Fuel/Water Separator Base Notes : This base requires the D-Ring, furnished with filter, for installation. Permits the addition of a remote mount fuel/water separator spin-on to most equipment. This is standard Cummins engine fuel filter mount. Use_With : BF957, BF957-D, BF1212, BF1249, BF1252, BF1258, BF1259, BF1282, BF5801, BF5812, BF7557, BF7558 Contains : Bracket Bolt Holes 3/8-16 UNC-2B Threaded Stud 1-14 O.D. : 3 19/32 (91.3) Inlet : 7/8-14 UNF Outlet : 7/8-14 UNF They vary in price from place to place, but about $30.00 each on sale.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4066[/ATTACH]So drilled a hole in the top of the in tank fuel pump, removed the old pump and installed the draw straw into the hole so that the fuel pickup is in the basket which I am hoping will enable me to run the truck low on fuel and not worry about not being able to pick up fuel. Not that I want to run low on fuel but it sometimes happen.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4067[/ATTACH]I had to fabricate some brackets to mount the Raptor and the filters. I was thinking of mounting the filters first and then mounting the pump in front of the transfers case but I was informed that that might be too much stress on the pump. So I ended up mounting them side by side, running the hoses from the pump to the filter, just wish that I lived closer to town so it would be easier to get parts. I would have liked to have gotten 90 degree elbows in stead of making loops with the hoses, but it seemed to work.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4068[/ATTACH]I still have to oe filter, I have a big line kit from the filter housing to the vp so I have a big line kit from the tank to the vp. This part was the easiest part of the whole install, I guess if I had gotten a kit it might have been easier, but I think the money I saved can be better spent on the next mod. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4069[/ATTACH]Routing the fuel lines out of the tank and for the filter setup.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4070[/ATTACH]Coming out of the tank, it has a sharp bend but it is not kinked too bad, I will have to keep an eye on it to make sure it does not rub too much or does not have too sharp of a bend in it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4071[/ATTACH]Another view of the pump and filters. It is a little tight, so far the only down fall of a shortbed. With a long bed I would have had more room to mount them inline instead of side by side.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4072[/ATTACH]Up and running, 20 psi at idle, only drops 3 psi at wide open throttle but that is with no load. I am hoping to run it under load soon to see if it has any more of a drop with a load than just empty.

It appears in a couple of your pics(4th and 5th one) that the fuel line might be rubbing on parts of the truck. You might think about putting some ire loom or something on the line to keep it from chafing. I had to do that to some of mine when I installed my AD. I also have a new pick up in the basket.

I had seen that, not a lot of room under there to do things much different. The next time in town I was thinking of picking up something to wrap those hoses in to keep them from chaffing. Other than that I think it will work, there are a few places that it is bent pretty tight but it is not kinked, so I should still have good fuel flow. Looking back I should have gotten a few 90* fittings to go from the pump to the filter, but the way I have it it seems to work.

I routed mine from the basket towards the out side of the framerail and forward, crossing back over to the AD. I strapped them to the underside of the bed. It worked out good, but had sme cafing concerns. I put wire looom around the lines where they might chafe and will just keep an eye on them for a while. I dont want to endup on the side of the road pumping fuel on the ground instead of in the engine. Id keep an eye on the one in the 5th picture it looks pretty tight.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have utilized black PE pipe - (polyethylene pipe) to sleeve both fuel lines and 00 electrical going to a battery bank in the bed - this has been great to protect from both oil and abrasion - case in point - I lost my front driveline on my 2001 4x4 while climbing 8% grade pulling a car hauler in the winter - the driveline wreaked havoc - took out the tailpiece that the Tcase mounts to (but not the Tcase - WHEW!) and completely crushed and crimped the stock lines that were disconnected but left in place when I installed the Raptor - the new "sleeved lines that ran alongside the stock lines were completely fine - The black PE pipe is the same stuff that is used for Water Wells and Irrigation - Home Depot or Lowes - dirt cheap and will protect your investment - I believe I used 1" pipe the 3/4" will look like it will work but when you try to push 10' of hose through it there is too much friction - I ran the sleeve almost all the way to the stock filter Finally, if you route the hose with too tight of a radius, it will kink - heat will help to make it more pliable and easier too route - be careful with the heat gun or torchJ