• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been dealing with this issue for a long time, VDC 14.1 VAC .001-.002 took the alt yesterday to get it rebuilt with new diodes and brush. Put the alt in today took it for a drive it did it once really quick or so I think it did.  I was also getting a code when I did the key cycle of P0720 and P0743 why those came up I have no clue. Gonna go out now for a long drive and shut the truck down a few times along the drive to see if I can get it to act up again, if it does the truck is for sale Ive put more in the truck than what I paid and Im bout done.

brand new ATS stage 4 and I was dealing with this issue prior to the tranny swap. I had cleaned all the grounds and I mean all the grounds and it quit for about 6 months. speed sensor has been replaced twice. Only thing I could do next is replace all the pigtails to the tranny connections.

New Tranny has less than 1000 miles on it.

17 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Did the band aid do anything?

How are you battery cables looking?  You said after you cleaned EVERY ground on the truck the issue went away for a bit?  That really sticks out for me.

bandaid has done nothing. I took it for a ten mile or so test drive after I put the alt back on and it hiccuped really quick I just check the key codes and the P0720 has popped up again. I know it can't be the sensor Ive been thru 3 of them and they all still work brand new out of the box. Pigtails might be my next choice or new battery cables all around but again just more money thrown into this thing. 

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would start ohming out wires from the trans to the PCM.  

It should be pretty easy to tell if you need new cables.  How do they look?  still tight? any corrosion? 

they looked good when I did the swap and since then I pulled it completely out and checked each wire for exposure and connections with electrical grease. I mean it could be a pin but I looked at all the connections and you can see plain as day the pins are intact in all the connections, but as many times Ive unhooked and reconnected it could be possible to have a loose pin. Im at a loss now and completely bored now.

the only GOOD thing about the truck is, no truck payment.

I understand the frustration.  

I have had a clunk in the front of my truck for as long as I have owned it.  I have replaced every piece of suspension under the truck and it is still there.  I can't figure it out....so I ignore it.

How do your battery cables look?  

17 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I understand the frustration.  

I have had a clunk in the front of my truck for as long as I have owned it.  I have replaced every piece of suspension under the truck and it is still there.  I can't figure it out....so I ignore it.

How do your battery cables look?  

they "look" perfect always clean and always lubed up. Im about to do a continuity on all the neg cables now 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what's the history of the truck? Have you owned since new? Has the previous owner done anything hard or anything to put extra strain? It seems to weird to me that some trucks never have issues and others have these 'ghost' problems. Just trying to come up with some sort of correlation.

• Staff

Why not put a manual torque convertor lock-up switch until the problem can be resolved, if ever. I'm not having any problem with my trans now but I do have a lock-up switch, I use when towing, with automatic disengagement when the brake peddle is depressed.  It works great 

Im the second owner bought it from a 73 yr old man and had 90,000 miles on it well taken care of and he documented everything. I Bought it in 2007 ish and it started doing this about 1-2 yrs later. what you see in my sig is the only thing I've done to. The ATS came with a lockup controller. Recently replaced the VP with a blue chip. 

24 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Brake light switch possibly on the outs?  

Trying to think of things that can cause unlocking.

haven't really checked that but I just got back from a long drive and its doing it more than ever now with P0720 code output speed sensor. replaced it 3 times already so Im gonna assume the plug end is bad somewhere.

Edited by Carl Steven Clendenning