• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I like smog. But first I have to smog it.

So Ive been lookin through and searching every thread for info on how to adjust waste gate. I'm new to diesel so I am probably not even wording this corectlly. Plus my fat thumbs don't spell right on iPhone!!basically I'm looking for info on boost. I can get to twenty. Also is the gauge on the edge for boost accurate?Where does it get it's info.and does anyone have any exPerience with passing smog in California? Will mine pass ?

So Ive been lookin through and searching every thread for info on how to adjust waste gate. I'm new to diesel so I am probably not even wording this corectlly. Plus my fat thumbs don't spell right on iPhone!! basically I'm looking for info on boost. I can get to twenty. Also is the gauge on the edge for boost accurate? Where does it get it's info. and does anyone have any exPerience with passing smog in California? Will mine pass ?

You can not adjust the waste gate. It is set to open near 20psi. If your are an auto with a stock turbo you should have a HY35 and i beleive you would have put something on the waste gate to hold it closed longer or completely( j hook, turnbuckle or there is a spring operated one)I have never messed with an HY. If you have a manual tranny it should be a HX35. You can install boost elbow(pretty much lets pressure off of the wategate so it will open later) which will let the waste gate open later to build more boost pressure. I have not installed one of those either. My Banks system came with a new exhaust housing and waste gate set to open near 35 psi. The edge is probably getting its reading from the MAP sensor, my banks does as do many others. You can install a manual gauge. I take it you did not install the edge. The only thing I know about smog in Cali is what I have read here. You might flunk, I dont really know. I live in NC and no smog on the diesel there.
  • Like 1

Ya I hooked up edge myself just wondering how accurate the boost gauge is on it. I figured on taking edge off for smog test. Also the back of my hy(auto tranny) is leaking. What's up with that. Also I had the tranny filter and oil changed and now the tranny runs at one seventy. It didn't go above one fifty before that. Same temps here all week

• Owner

Lets put it the simple way. The Edge Gauge are no more accurate than the senders themselves. Also remember the sender limit what gauge is capable of. Then if there is any electrical issues then the gauge reading might be flawed.I tend to stick solely to mechanical gauges (boost and fuel pressure). :wink:

• Like 1

here are you getting your trans temperature from? the pan or the output line? That is something of concern, either they adjusted the bands wrong, or something is causing low line pressure.

From back of tranny with the fitting edge cts provided. They didnt adjust bands. Just tryin to make it to cali then im going to do a number on the tranny.

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet!! I passed smog with the edge removed and left the harness danglin!! The smog guy didnt like it at all!! Also made it to northern cali from albuquque with twenty foot flatbed with toyota on it. [ATTACH]4216[/ATTACH]All good!!!

post-11816-138698189485_thumb.jpg

So Ive been lookin through and searching every thread for info on how to adjust waste gate. I'm new to diesel so I am probably not even wording this corectlly. Plus my fat thumbs don't spell right on iPhone!! basically I'm looking for info on boost. I can get to twenty. Also is the gauge on the edge for boost accurate? Where does it get it's info. and does anyone have any exPerience with passing smog in California? Will mine pass ?

i am due for the test this week. a couple years ago tech told me that they only make sure you haven't tampered with stock system. this is why i don't do mods. oh yeah and thats how they justify the registration charge by taxing you on how you pollute the air. there is no way to smog diesels, due to not having catlytic converters.

• Owner

i am due for the test this week. a couple years ago tech told me that they only make sure you haven't tampered with stock system. this is why i don't do mods. oh yeah and thats how they justify the registration charge by taxing you on how you pollute the air. there is no way to smog diesels, due to not having catlytic converters.

:soap: Stepping up on my soap box... I have a hard time with EPA emission testing. Back in the day when I lived in California I had to smog my 73 Dodge Charger every year for registration. Every year I would put everything back to stock layout, vacuum lines, etc. Car ran terrible, MPG's went down, performance went down, but it would barely pass testing. :banghead: One day I got crazy and put all my mods back on the car and tuned it my way and got a hold of friend that worked the testing shop. Had him re-run the test without any smog equipment on the car and tuned my way. Guess what?! It past with flying colors. MPG's where better and so way the performance. What I done made a gasket for the EGR without the holes, disconnected the OSAC valve on the firewall (vacuum adv) and hooked the vacuum advance to ported vacuum on the carb, changed the distributor weights for fast timing advancement, reset the preload spring in the vacuum advance diaphragm, set the timing to 10* BTDC, etc. So what this proved to me is... That as long as the vehicle is running with good economy (MPG's) then your emissions should be low. Ok. So now to the diesel world. Everyone knows what I've got under the hood. Yes my setup can and will smoke when you work the truck. But still and all a bit of soot means nothing because I don't drive around choking out black smoke for miles but maybe for a second or two as I'm rowing gears and towing. I can keep 20+ MPG most of the time so I would gamble to say my truck most likely have very little emissions (NOx, etc.) As for soot yeah I've got a bit but if I'm using less fuel then the emissions should be less too. Off my soap box now... :rolleyes:

Thats what im sayin mm. I ride alot of two strokes( hence my name and also new husaberg) and they pass out red stickers so you can only ride them certain times of year. I asked a head at dmv whats up and he broke out some govt. literature that says that my bike produces more smog than one hundred and fifty cars!!! Bs. Obviously bs. Really i run em clean and it smokes less than a prius.