• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help with a couple things...

My FP sending unit went bad. I have a new one (still Glowsh!t)... I was told by Glowshift to mount the sending unit about a foot away and to use some sort of metal tubing. And then I was reading on here about a needle valve. Can someone put what I need to do in layman's terms? Also, I'm about to (finally) install my boost gauge. I am planning on drilling and tapping the boost elbow - is there a simpler/better place to put it?Lastly, I'd like to increase my MPG a little. I am planning on getting a BHAF with a filterguard, and doing something to the exhaust. A friend recommended straight piping it... ??Thanks in advance for all the help!

I have never heard of tapping the boost elbow for boost reading. I would think a port on the intake plenum area would be a better idea. BHAF won't increase your mileage. It did not improve mine. If anything it will make it worse. IMO anytime you allow the flow of exhaust to exit with less restriction, the better. I would not go more than a 4" though considering the consensus on here about size. This is what you need to consider for better MPG's: http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/77-how-to-improve-mpgs http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/63-adding-2-cycle-oil-to-diesel-fuel

Posted Image This is the snubber hose that they are talking about. Make sure to get one that is 18" long, not 13" as you will not be able to mount it somewhere. When mounting the snubber hose, be sure to put a minimum 90* bend in it or the VP will hammer the sending unit to death. On my setup, I have a 180* bend in the snubber hose. Posted Image This is the full setup for the fuel pressure gauge, before it is mounted in the truck. Get a Tapped Banjo Bolt to put the snubber in place. Posted Image Get a Boost Bolt and there is no tapping anything. You just remove a plenum bolt and put it in. Tighten to 18 inch pounds.

A needle valve will protect the sender from the pulses the vp puts out. This is how I have done mine. it is a mechanical gauge but you can attach yoursender after the needle valve.post-10340-138698188534_thumb.jpgYou just barely crack open the valve. Your pressure will rise slowly on the gauge, but that is what you are after. Read this to get an idea of wht I am talking about.http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/34-fuel-pressure-gauge-and-water-hammer-effects

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Here is my setup... post-2-138698189156_thumb.jpg post-2-138698189162_thumb.jpg Then here is a video about setting it up...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33ZCc8b-7Q

Grease gun line will not protect against water hammer but the needle valve will... Snubbers or OK but tend to see some failures yet because some snubber tend to be drill to big.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl2pa7pmES4

Lastly, I'd like to increase my MPG a little.

post-2-138698189166_thumb.jpg * AirDog 150 * Edge Comp set to kill (5x5) * BHAF * Straight piped 3" Exhaust * Stock HX35 turbo * IAT fooler set to 143*F * RV275 Injectors The biggest killer is speed the faster you travel the worse it gets... Large tires will degrade MPG's I'm running 235/85 R16
  • Like 1

Dripley - I don't understand where the needle valve is located at. What part of the fuel line? I'm doing this install by myself, so the more info the better.

Thanks for the rest of the info Dripley! Very helpful. :thumb1:

Mine is intalled in the fuel line between the filter canister and the VP. Mine is a little simpler than MM's because I just run a gauge off of mine. I did install big line kit between the two of them from Vulcan. I used a 1/2" line with a 1/2" tapped tee for the needle valve. All from vulcan also.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the idea from Mike, incase you could not tell.

Payback,For boost reading: While a boost bolt is nice, there are 2 NPT plugs in the intake manifold already. They are above the lift pump. Towards the firewall from the fuel filter. One is 3/4"NPT and the other is 1/2"NPT. They are located very near the MAP sensor. These plugs can be seen on page 8w-90-15 of the 2001 service manual. They are the plugs just to the left and right of the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sender. The Intake Air Temperature sensor is there also.HTH Hag