• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3 In a Row

Third tank in a row boys and girls that I averaged 20+mpg!!!!:cheers::sofa:IN ALL HONESTY; IMHO, I truly don't know how many of y;all don't/ or can't get better mileage from your trucks!!????? Just saying, not arguing!!!!Could it be that I'm the guy that y'all are passing on the road (swearing at) everyday!!??:?Not arguing, just saying!!!:thumbup2::duh:

I can get 20 out of mine on the interstate running 65 to 70 since I installed the rv's. A little better towin milage too. But i did slow down some for that. 11.3 from 9.7 staying 65 and less. I used to tow about 70 to 75, think that is why I was buying tires too often.

• Like 1

congrates...when i had my 03 with a 6 speed..smarty..puck..tst r37..sps62...with a.c. doning the speed limit hand calculate my best was 23.8..2 wheel drive quad cab..one ton s.r.w...with 3.73's...i get a constant 20 m.pg. in my current '01 4x4 q.c.s.b. 47re 3.54's and some other stuff ..its nice to see something that weights over 7,000 lbs get good m.p.g.'s

Keep going I know you can get up to 21 next... :wink:

Michael, I know that I would've averaged 21+mpg on the first tank to and fro from KY had I been driving by myself. As I said, going down interstate it's hard to talk to your passengers without yelling over the wind noise!!!:thumb1: So the air went on.:smart: In addition I was driving down with Vanessa..............and she has TWB............teeny weeny bladder..............plus she drinks water like it's going out of style!!!!:pant: So there were also potty stops driving down and back!!! Really looking forward to getting these lock out hubs installed and see what it does for mileage. My buddy JD and I are gonna tackle this. Reading the destructions, it doesn't look hard at all. It's just that the parts are so big; that you need to be Hercules to hoist them around!!! JD offfered to help, because he's got a feeling that his '03 is gonna need front end work soon. Plus with him helping........at his home..............if we need something, we can take his truck to the parts store!!!!!:smart: That's one of the reasons I don't like doing big wrenching on my truck alone...........it's my only vehicle!!!!!!:stuned::smart: If'n it's in pieces, I've got no way to get parts if I FUBAR something!!!!!!!:lmao2:

• Staff

Congrats! I have yet to break 20 in my truck, thou I know it could do it. The reason I haven't is I don't get into the driving profile in it very often, if ever. I don't use it as a DD anymore, so most the trips are loaded or towing. The few trips where we do road trip we have the kids, so the difference in 65-68 and 75 over 500 miles is enough to warrant the few extra bucks! I could pretty easily break 19 when it was my DD to/from work with smart driving. I now have many more efficiency mods, just haven't tried. Elevation also plays a role. There is a mountain pass almost any direction I go, and even if there isn't there are still climbs along the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep going I know you can get up to 21 next... :wink:

Did it Mike!! Filled up yesterday evening with 31.6 gallons of fuel, and had 688 miles on the tank. Stuffed the tank up the neck also!!! That works out to 21.77x MPG!!! Only about 25 towing miles on that tank and that was yesterday morning.:thumbup2:

• Owner

Did it Mike!! Filled up yesterday evening with 31.6 gallons of fuel, and had 688 miles on the tank. Stuffed the tank up the neck also!!! That works out to 21.77x MPG!!! Only about 25 towing miles on that tank and that was yesterday morning.:thumbup2:

:cheerleader: Congrads... Two or three more to go and your up with me... :wink: But I'm not knocking the 20-21 MPG your getting now that excellent for a Cummins CR engine... :cheerleader:

Just got home from doggy stuff this AM. Filled up at the cheap station close to the house......$3.49 by the way. Filled Mighty Whitey up with 32.003 gallons, and had 682.5 miles on the tank of fuel!!! I called it 32 even and 682 even when I did the math; but that comes out to 21.03MPG!!!This was the first full tank running the SpynTec free spin hubs also. I also had about 150 towing miles on this tank. I didn't go to that seminar in Indiana on Saturday; instead, I wound up going to Door County, Wisconsin for a funeral mass instead. Same miles, different direction. Up and back, same day. Truck ran great, new hubs stayed cool and got good mileage.

Forgot to add.........that was coming back yesterday into a SW quartering wind. I was cruising right at 65mph because of the Wisconsin State Patrol that was out even at Zero Dark Thirty AM going North!!! I'm a happy camper!!!:cool::2cents:

I run my Smarty on SW5 default settings. SW7 has way more power as does SW9, but both are smokey and hot!!I got an intake system, a cat-back exhaust, tone wheel mod, SB Con OFE clutch, and a Smarty. And now "free spin" hubs from SpynTec.The biggest reason I get good mileage, is that I actually "drive" for it. If'n you're really seriously asking, the best I can tell you is, that I'm the guy you're passing and probably cursing at driving around suburbia!!! And I don't care either!!!

• Like 1

I run my Smarty on SW5 default settings. SW7 has way more power as does SW9, but both are smokey and hot!! I got an intake system, a cat-back exhaust, tone wheel mod, SB Con OFE clutch, and a Smarty. And now "free spin" hubs from SpynTec. The biggest reason I get good mileage, is that I actually "drive" for it. If'n you're really seriously asking, the best I can tell you is, that I'm the guy you're passing and probably cursing at driving around suburbia!!! And I don't care either!!!

Ive also found that sw5 is the best setting for mileage. For me, i get even better mileage on sw5 than the "fuel saver" setting and it still makes decent power for towing. Its the best of both worlds.

I had a 45mi highway roadtrip yesterday. I really tried to feather the throttle, and got behind a couple tractor-trailers, stayed around 65-68mph (70mph speed limit) and still bested a 15.8mpg average, with some instant high marks of 19-21 (numbers per scan gauge 2)

I run my Smarty on SW5 default settings. SW7 has way more power as does SW9, but both are smokey and hot!! I got an intake system, a cat-back exhaust, tone wheel mod, SB Con OFE clutch, and a Smarty. And now "free spin" hubs from SpynTec. The biggest reason I get good mileage, is that I actually "drive" for it. If'n you're really seriously asking, the best I can tell you is, that I'm the guy you're passing and probably cursing at driving around suburbia!!! And I don't care either!!!

Well I recently bought a Smarty S-06 PoD for my '05 3500 4x4 (which is the same as the older REVO, I think). I have been using the Catcher side of the programmer and just trying each of the settings beginning with SW1. I drive a few tanks with in town driving and then do a Hwy trip of 400 miles to get a reading on any improvement for my style of driving. I drive with the driving coach on a CTS Insight Guage so I have some thing to compare to on each mode level of the Smarty. I am now up to SW4 this week. After going through each of the Catcher modes then I was going to try the PoD (power on demand) modes to establish mpg data. I would like to learn more about the UDC capability sometime in the future and then try that as well to see if I can get some improved mpg. I will have to buddy up with somebody that is doing UDC so I can learn more about it. At this point I am seeing and feeling the power increases (from the stock no chip HO engine) as I go up the scale in the Catcher mode. I have seen improved mpg in my city driving (~2mpg) but haven't seen much change in the Hwy mpg. But I still am just early in the process so I am hoping that some of the higher Smarty settings will show improved mpg on the hwy. From SW1 on I am getting black smoke on acceleration as in merging on the Hwy. This surprised me because I wasn't expecting to see much at the lower fueling levels. I get it whether I am using advanced timing and fueling (i.e SW3) or just fueling (i.e. SW2). I would like to back the smoke off but I am not sure if that is going to be a normal thing from using the Smarty or I will need to look into some other cause.