• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tach Problem

which direction is it jumping? up, down, or both sides of idle rpm?... and by how far? Is it doing it only at cold start up? or when fully warmed up? Im right at the first stage of looking for the demon in mine... but it'll go from indicated rpm... to zero....back up to normal.I also have a crankshaft sensor code too..

Mine has always bounced a little with no change in the engine. By a little I mean only 10 rpm. It has done since it was new.

My 02 has done the same. I recently put a timbos APPS in it and it smoothed out the tach and feel of the engine a bit. I almost wonder if my old worn APPS was stairstepping the voltage pretty badly, rather than a nice linear ramp.

My 02 has done the same. I recently put a timbos APPS in it and it smoothed out the tach and feel of the engine a bit. I almost wonder if my old worn APPS was stairstepping the voltage pretty badly, rather than a nice linear ramp.

I am running the Timbo apps on mine, but it never changed the tach bouncing. Mybe 25% of the time it sits steady the rest of the time it bounces a little. I have not really paid much attention to it since the engine idles smooth. Just got used to it over the years.

Sorry, I just got back to topic. Yea it jumps about 10-20 rpm, dont hear eng. change and I too am running timbo. I have changed practically everything under the hood at one point or another and it still jumps. I thought I had it fixed with cam sensor but it started right back. It seems the cam sensor will stop it for a while but it will bounce shortly after install.Thanks Guys