• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

U joints

I have a ball joint press the supposed to work for that. I have not had a chance to use it for that purpose yet. As far as what brand, ther are so many to choose from I could not recomend one over that other. Trying to figure out wher some of them are made is difficult, for me anyway.

• Like 1

I have a ball joint press the supposed to work for that. I have not had a chance to use it for that purpose yet. As far as what brand, ther are so many to choose from I could not recomend one over that other. Trying to figure out wher some of them are made is difficult, for me anyway.

yeah I heard harbor freight balljoint press works ...... but as my truck will be down and no other car and will be working off back of the truck as my toolshop - need to have all the tools and make sure its works as promised. So keep them comming guys - products you actually used that work awesome !!

What's best tool to make pressing these out easy :) Any other tips ? What brand of u joints to replace ?

I have a ball joint press tool - supposedly useful for u-joints and ball joints - but I have never been satisfied with its performance. http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html I have a 12 Ton Shop press - http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html that works quite nicely! I have started a job with the compact ball joint press tool...and usually end up using the Shop Press! And the ball-joint service tool at $70 isn't that much of a savings of the $130 cost for Shop press - and the Shop Press is a nice tool to have and you will get your money's worth over time!

A hammer and an impact socket..

Been there ...done that...got the T-Shirt. BUT - there are times when BFI is NOT the way to go! (BFI = Brute Force and Ignorance). Finesse is usually better than BFI. Best bet - find a friend who has a shop press. Second best bet - buy your own shop press.

Harbor freight ball joint press here... It works really well! :thumbup2:

Get ready to replace a u-joint again. :banghead:

This one mike ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

any tips ??

- - - Updated - - -

A hammer and an impact socket..

sorry man - this does not sound like the road I want to travel ....... not unless your there to fix it after :):thumbup2:

Eh I guess that's the easy way to do it. I've done hundreds with a hammer/socket/vise. No problems yet. It is an art though. You don't just hit it anywhere. Definitely not this blunt force and ignorance crap. I realize that's how everyone else goes at it but there is always an easier way to do anything, it just takes skill. Skill can replace machines, but some things take a lot more skill than anyone cares to learn. I did learn all of the driveshaft stuff from a guy who probably learned from his mistakes for several decades. I'm just saying it can be done.....if you bring it to me lol.

Yea set it up and press the u-joints out and press the new ones in. :whistle:

lmao - fair enough next question - whats the best way to determine what ujoints I need to order. There seem to be a few different ones .... for rear/ front/ middle section etc :shrug:

I generally cut the old universal off first just inside the ears of the driveshaft with a grinder and a cut off wheel. This makes it much easier to press the individual bearings out one at a time. I use a big vice with a socket like I said they press out much easier once you cut the universal out your only pressing one cap at a time this way instead of two. Once the old joint is out, I ususally polish the ears up with a little emery cloth or a file if theres any burrs add a little grease and press the new one back in. As far as what manufacture Ive had good luck for the most part with NAPA I always buy the greaseable kind they just seem to last longer for me Ive never had much luck with the sealed ones.Probably the most important step is to mark the relationship of your driveshafts before you drop them as they are balanced and if they get put back together 180* from the way they are matched you will most likely have a worse vibration than you started out with :mad:

• Like 1

but the ujoints are actually different parts right ? I mean when I look on parts stores there are different part numbers depending on which ujoint ? Guess theres a thickness difference ...... :think:

yes, ujoint cup diameter and width from outer cup face to outer cup face. http://www.actionmachineinc.com/ujointmeasuringguide.aspx

I had all my drive line off when replacing the tranny and did not need a blow torch for any of them. Wish I had had the time to replace them at the time.

I mean the clips in the head of the ball joint ... Think they have plastic inside ..Not the bolted u frame that's holds it to the axle shaft ...