• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air bags or Springs ?

I plan on doing something in the spring with my truck to keep the rear from sagging when I tow my gooseneck but i'm undecided to do springs or airbags. I was wondering if anyone on here using airbags has the plastic inner fenders in the wheelwells of their box. I don't want to buy a set to find out I can't use the inner fenders liner.:shrug:

• Staff

On my 02 I put on air bags. They don't interfere with the plastic fender liners. Be sure and get the air bags that go along side the frame on top of the leaf springs. With the firestone bags there is an upgrade of a stronger bracket you'll want to get. Unless you go with PacBrake brand. They come with a stronger mounting brackets.In the past I did the overload springs but the air bags were the biggest improvement. The overload springs gave way after a couple long hauls. I then added another stack of springs on top of the overloads but, they weakened also. Just go with some good air bags.:thumbup2:

• Like 1

air bags are the way to go unless you want your ride qaulity to suffer. To do springs the right way one needs to replace the main spring pack with heavier or more springs, most folks always mess with the overloads but they are for that purpose only, they come into play after the main springs have drooped down.:doh:

I bagged mine and love them. My truck was used as a hot shotter for the first 200k miles of it's life so it almost sits on the overrides even without a load. The airbags get it back where it's supposed to be and it rides like a cadillac. They make little bags to go inside the springs up front as well and went ahead and got them. I wasn't as impressed with them, they more or less just firm up the ride. The front end bounces over every bump from the huge weight up front. I have replaced shocks and it never fixes it. The bags up front solved it. I air the front ones up to the max PSI (I think is only 25psi). The back ones go up to 100psi and I don't think I have ever got over 20psi, they are just incredible.

What kind did you go with ISX ? I priced out Airlift and Firestone...pretty much the same price but the price isn't really a determining factor unless we're taling huge differences. I'm looking for a good quality set up thats trouble free

• Staff

I like the stronger brackets on my PacBrakes but, the left leaks about 10 lbs a month and the right leaks about 10 lbs a week. I don't like that aspect. I was very careful installing them to not get drill shavings in them. :nono:

I've run the Firestone's since 2002 and have had no problems with them. They are even better since I added the PacBrake Exhaust Brake that required onboard air. I included the remote air control station in the cab and life is sweet. I can now air them up/down and monitor everything from the comfort of the drivers seat.

We had Firestones on the old '94 4 door Chevy dually (502ci, 5 speed, 100gal aux tank, 1/2 sleeper, 5/7" drop, bagged) and they were awesome. Onboard air, etc. We towed a 36ft enclosed race car trailer. Loaded down, the rear bags ran about 40psi, fronts about 20. Not towing, and running empty, it was about 25psi Rr, 15psi Fr.