• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Daily Driver question

Hello Folk's new to the site hope i placed this in the correct spot. So I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins QCLB Dually with a 24 val HO 6spd 4x4. The truck has 180k mile's on it. When i bought the truck a few month's ago to pull trailer's with full time (around 100-150 mile's a day) for my then job but, have since changed job's and only drive the truck about 2 mile's to work. So my question is will it hurt to drive my truck such short distance's every day 6 day's a week. Will it hurt it or cause damage to any thing? During the summer i don't worry as much but we are seein' 15-20F night's here i do plug in the truck for a couple of hour's every night and allow the truck to idle for about 5min's at least each morning for the oil to reach the top of the motor. and don't floor it when i leave in the morning's. I know that some of the block's are prone to cracking due to improper cold weather situation's aka "53 block's". I have checked my motor top to bottom left to right and there is no casting number's at all not below the PS pump or below the oil drain tube on the pass side. So what block do i have and thank's for reading and any info you can give thank's

• Owner

Like myself when I drive <1 mile to the fire station to head out for fire calls. But when I return home I drive a extra 2-3 miles away to turn around and come home with a fully warmed up truck also give the alternator a chance to charge the batteries after grid heaters have hit. I always try to make it a point to have at least 1 cycle that makes full engine temperature in either truck (gas or diesel).

• Staff

I'd say plug in the block heater all night. Some guys put a piece of cardboard to partially block off the radiator, but, I can't say how much to block off.Make sure you use synthetic power steering fluid. I used Pennzoil synth since a lot of guys recommended it. Before that I had my power steering pump squeeling in cold temp starts. Use a turkey baster till it comes out clean. You'll notice a difference right a way.

I am in a similar commute scenario as you. I drive 7mi each way. I plug the truck in on cold nights (timer comes on at 430-500am, and I generally leave around 7-730) In winter, it's never warmed up by the time I get to work. Same for the trips back home from work (sans the plugin option)..Even plugged in in the morning, Coolant is only around 100*. It aids in starting ease, but that's about.On these short jaunts, blocking the radiator is fruitless.

Personally...if you work less than 10 miles away and its not over 60F all year and you don't pull trailers much, get a little 4 banger gasser car.. These trucks are made for work, not menial tasks like towing a single person to work. I mean you're starting it, killing the batteries with the grids, drive 2 miles to work, drive 5 miles pointlessly to charge the batteries back up, get 15 mpg while driving under these cold engine conditions, and yeah. OR you could get in a little car, start it, floor it, turn it off, go to work, get 30mpg with the 75 cent cheaper fuel. It's a no brainer to me. I'm not talking a brand new honda accord either. I'm talking a $1-2k honda or toyota....cheap, small, simple.

For me, I work my truck 8months out of the year ; more if it snows. I get what you're saying though, which is why I'm trying to finish my '82 rabbit truck. But there is that whole " insufficient funding" thing :)Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A winter front, even a sealed piece of carboard & zip ties, blocking the grill, not the radiator is better for the truck. Sticking a cardboard against the radiator blocks coolers & such as well. Short trips are hard on the truck, because it doesn't warm up. If you set a timer to run the block heater for a couple of hours before you start, the grid heaters will run little, if at all, and avoid the battery drain & problem recharging it. I keep a small dash top solar panel plugged into the power port, so during the day some battery recovery can take place.

I made mine out of thin plastic with tin snips to a cardboard pattern:

Posted Image

Sorry for late post and thank's for all the info and help. While buying a small import probaly won't happen (only buy american) but the extra cost of ownership/maintence/insurance..etc kinda nip's that up But, I am in the process of replaceing a power steering gearbox on one of my other Dodge's (I have 3 more a 2000 dodge 1500 360 ,2000 dodge 2500 V10, 1974 dodge D300 440 4spd) the 1500 asap to begin driveing till warm weather...weather permitting this weekend. She still fire's right up alway's dependable and never let me down in it's 230,xxx mile life just started to leak out power steering fluid from none usage as of late. On that note i do hope to purchase a Bank's exhaust Brake. I had a factory exhaust brake on my old 06 comman rail (before the truck was totaled a few month's ago) which i would engage after startup to warm the motor up alot faster safely will the banks brake work the same on this truck and still be safe on the motor. Again thank's for the help and info

You can put an e brake on your 2nd gen no problem, its actually on my wishlist of things to get (someday). I think your on the right track, getting your 1/2 ton back on the road and using that as a dd. It will be cheaper fuel, will warm up quicker, and the short trips wont be nearly as hard on the gasser as it is on a diesel :thumbup2: