• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

True Jake Coming Soon for the Cummins

• Owner

True Jake Brake coming soon.

http-~~-//youtu.be/xT0Ua2ogGJQ

If you search them on youtube you will come up with other videos!! Here is an 'update' from them: (Because of 'bandwidth' problems, I can't seem to post up the other videos.....) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ByCompressionRelease Dec 21, 2012 4,203 views 24 likes, 0 dislikes UPDATE: Ok guys, thought we should let you know how this project is going. First of all, this is still our number one priority, and though it seems slow, we are getting ever closer to a finished product. I read a statement on a Cummins forum one time, where a guy made the statement that it would cost the equivalent of several new pickups to produce an OEM reliable engine brake. Well that is true for sure. Now we are several months and many thousands of dollars into this project but we're getting close. We have made a change in our original plan for the release of the units. We started out by building a mechanical rotary valve to distribute oil to the cylinders. That was the simplest and most straightforward way. A mechanical valve on a mechanical engine, but obviously that method had limited potential. Not too many of you still drive a 12 valve. The marketability of the design would dictate that an electronically controlled version would have to be the end result for you guys with 24v and CRs. Our original plan was to release the rotary valve model for the 12v to fund the production of the others, but the rotary valve design proved too complicated and we never found a machine shop that would build them. We finally just decided to take the leap. We have two nerds... I mean programmers, writing code as we speak. As far as beta test vehicles, we appreciate all of your offers, and will definitely be in touch when the time gets closer. Meanwhile, know that we are hurrying as fast as we can. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- First of all, thank you so much for all of your kind comments on our previous videos. We decided to show you a few still shots of our engine brake before Christmas. Please give us until after the holidays before you get mad at us for our junior high girl secrets, we just understand metal much better than we understand attorneys, and we don't want to do anything stupid. We would like to respond to some of your questions: 1) Do we have plans for other models? Yes, we have plans in the near future for second generation 12 valves, 24 valves, Common Rail, and Powerstrokes. 2) Can we ballpark a price? No, out of respect for our future distributor we will not talk about money. 3) Braking effectiveness? We don't have any real numbers for two reasons, the first being that everytime we take the truck out for testing, we giggle like school girls, make videos, and post them on YouTube against our better judgement. The second reason is because the answer is not in words, the answer is in numbers which cannot come from us. Someday soon we hope someone like DieselPower Magazine would stage a competition... we would love to participate. We can tell you that we have driven a 7.3 Powerstroke with an exhaust brake for 11 years and there simply is no comparison. 4) Expected release date? We can hardly sleep at night... so, believe us, as soon as possible. Fortunately, this will be sold as a simple, bolt-on kit, that you can install in your driveway in an afternoon with normal tools. So, if you are building a 12 valve... don't stop, you won't have to change anything except the rocker boxes. The pictures are from our original prototype and the timing mechanism presented here has been changed three times since then. What you are seeing, unfortunately, didn't work at all, but made for some really great pictures. The current timing mechanism is still under wraps until our deal is finalized. Source: http://www.idahoturbodiesels.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10575

what or whose fuel system is on those engines in the video? :doh: I wasn't thinking.... again! That pump on the front of the engine is for controlling the valves??

that unit attached to the injection pump gear seems to be a timed hydraulic or pneumatic actuator that pushes the exhaust valve down at the right time and triggered by a switch, it activates on the next piston that is just coming down past TDC on power stroke which releases the compressed air from cylinder. at same time fuel should be cut off when the power to the unit is applied. this is my theory of how the unit works.

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh man! One more reason to get a 5 or 6 speed swap going! :hyper:

One doen't need a manual to use an exhaust brake of any kind, I actually like how they work on autos much better than manuals.:2cents: Plus after 20 years of wrenching on concrete and gravel and frozen ground ect ect my left knee don't like running a clutch to often.
  • Like 1

Dumb question here. Could someone explain why they would hold open the exhaust valve? I thought it was to hold closed the valve to create pressure to create braking force like the exhaust brake? Someone school me on this... :shrug: EDIT: Nevermind I found my own answer...

http-~~-//youtu.be/7FSkNSOeTWM

the exhaust valve opens as it does for the following... when the piston compresses the air, energy is absorbed in that process thus slowing the vehicle down by means of compression, if you dont release that compressed air it will work against the piston returning most of that energy back to the vehicle. think of an air spring. when the pressurized air is released before it can return that pressure back to mechanical energy the effect slows you down for the next gulp of air to compress, slowing the piston down then released before rebound edit:just realized you figured it out lol

If so, thats going to be to deep for these pockets :cry:

gosh, I can already see/hear (in my mind) my rig popping over my ridge.... and turning down the lane... sigh.. Too bad most towns around here have big ol signs saying: NO ENGINE BRAKING... Shoot, if I was a safety engineer... I think using all the anchors possible (especially in town) would be encouraged! I Still think the Air Starter/ Jake brake combo is the ultimate in sound bytes... I know some big trucks with auto trans work fine with the jake... i'm wondering how these computer controlled one's respond to zero input on the throttle, and they are expected to 'hold back'... maybe that's what the manufacture was trying to work around...

• Owner

gosh, I can already see/hear (in my mind) my rig popping over my ridge.... and turning down the lane... sigh..

Too bad most towns around here have big ol signs saying: NO ENGINE BRAKING... Shoot, if I was a safety engineer... I think using all the anchors possible (especially in town) would be encouraged!

I Still think the Air Starter/ Jake brake combo is the ultimate in sound bytes...

I know some big trucks with auto trans work fine with the jake... i'm wondering how these computer controlled one's respond to zero input on the throttle, and they are expected to 'hold back'... maybe that's what the manufacture was trying to work around...

:drool: Don't get me started with that... :drool:

Air Starters and Jake Brake are the Best sound bytes! :thumbup2:

I know some big trucks with auto trans work fine with the jake... i'm wondering how these computer controlled one's respond to zero input on the throttle, and they are expected to 'hold back'... maybe that's what the manufacture was trying to work around...

It should be no different than an exhaust brake, function-wise.. lock the converter on off-throttle..

My wife is going to love me telling her about this. I know I can't afford one if they are in that $2-3000 range, they will have to make them more affordable to really market them, and the kit would sell like mad. I am impressed all the same, and they just sound so good.

My wife is going to love me telling her about this. I know I can't afford one if they are in that $2-3000 range, they will have to make them more affordable to really market them, and the kit would sell like mad. I am impressed all the same, and they just sound so good.

Just tell her "Happy Valentines'.... and tell her about the safety bonus of being able to stop better! (her safety of course, is most important!):whistle: