Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel tank is building pressure?

I have noticed the last two times I have put fuel in my truck that when I un-screw the fuel cap it hisses and sounds like a soda bottle when you open it. Why would this happen? My father told me he thinks that my fuel cap is bad and not venting. I have also noticed that my fuel pressure is a little low I believe. It bounces at idle between 10-14psi. I do have a snubber installed on my gauge as well. Also can anyone tell me what the stock fuel pressure is for a 12valve?

Mine does the same thing. Only happens if you drive it and turn it off and instantly take the cap off the tank. Doesn't seem to operate any different so who knows, maybe it needs some pressure to help the lift pump. Fuel pressure is around 17-20psi at idle and shouldn't drop under 25psi under a load. 25-35psi is typical.

ISX- mine does the same thing. Only happens when you run the truck then turn it off and open the cap right away. So I'm guessing that is normal and not harmful? Also I installed a Larry B's adjustable over flow valve. I installed it and had to turn the adjustment in a good bit but I now have roughly 17-20 psi at idle. The truck actually feel like it drives and pulls smoother. I would guess this is because it was starving for fuel up top dude to low pressure.JAG1- do you have any pictures of you tank vent setup?

• Owner

Being its a 12V there isn't any way for compression gases to get back to the fuel tank. Like on the 24V since the injectors are in the top of the head and the return rail is part of the head you could have combustion gases leak back into the return rail from a bad copper shim. But this isn't possible on a 12V.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

I have a new cap in mine and it has a ton of suction now. My tank has always been a little collapsed in on the bottom but its really bad now and I can hear it rounding back out when I remove the cap.

I read about a guy, on another forum, that had the same issue. Bought something like 3 different brands of vented caps and tested them. He found the best one was the Stant and the Napa brand did not vent at all. His buddy tested them down at his smog station diagnose equipment. One guy on this thread said his tank collapsed so bad it cracked. Yes, the vent is the one on the far left top of the tank. I do not trust these Dodge tank vents because once when I topped off my tank that vent continued to spew out a stream of diesel fuel that didn't stop for about 6 or 7 minutes. So mine failed to hold the fuel in. I eventually just blocked it off for good. I forgot to say...... I could get away with blocking my tank vent because I already had another vent mod of my own installed.