• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help picking the right turbo to reach my goals

So I recently came across a BD super b special turbo for cheap from a friend. It's 64 /71/14wg. I picked it up thinking I could use it on my 12 valve but I starting to think its going to be to big to really reach the goal I'm trying to achieve.my goals for my truck are : 450-480 HP, still keeping it as a daily driver and able to do some light towing (my boat, my car trailer and my dads 28ft enclosed trailer) and also maintaining at least 23-24 mpg average.right now what I have for my truck that's not installed is :3gsk spring #10 plate with boost elbow and all the mods listed in my sig. I also plan on getting a clutch soon like a valair or south end because I know as soon as I install those parts mine won't hold up for long. Also I plan on something like 80hp sticks.the turbo I think that would work best for what I'm doing is the BD super B single. But I also have someone who recently offered to trade me a D Tech 62/65/12. I have read a little on this turbo but can't find a whole,lot of testimonials on it. Does anyone know if this turbo would be a good one for me and my goals? My worries are that the 12 housing will get hot quick and that drive pressures will be to high. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm thinking the 62/65/12 is going to spool fast, but you're going to be running it hard and hot, especially with a 12v. I ran a 71/74/14 on a 24V VP44 truck, with big injectors, and programmers, and while it took a bit of time to spool, I think that it would be a bit faster spool on a 12V. The EGT's were manageable daily driving, but like I said, on the 24V it was a bit laggy. There's enough differences between the 12 and 24V that I would imagine something like that would be more what you would be happy with.

I was kind of thinking the same thing but i don't think that the special is the way to go either. Thats alot of exhaust to spool up andespecially with the little bit of towing I do it would lag bad in my opinion. The d tech doeant sound to bad imo but pulling hills im sure itd get hot.

But the super b cheap .... Sell it ..... Buy a he351cw or a hybrid or a super b or a phatshaft 62. Exhaust side will control spoolup and drive pressure and a little egt ..,, I think a he351 cw rocks to 450hp. Only 200 and 100 adapters

• Staff

A 62 is going to give you a hot 450-480, especially with a 12cm housing. A Super B Single would probably do 450 decently. John likes the 351, but I am not a huge fan; however, the reasons I don't like it make it super fast spooling and the compressor does move decent air I am just not a fan of the turbine.

John likes the 351, but I am not a huge fan; however, the reasons I don't like it make it super fast spooling and the compressor does move decent air I am just not a fan of the turbine.

Ha - yeah I do hit that drum a little - but where else can you get a quick spooling 60mm compressor thats good to 450-500HP (non towing) and only costs around $350 to swap out (used) with you HX35 !! I agree it has some problems towards the upper range ....... but then just TWIN it !! lmao. I just hate slow spooling turbos - that makes for a horrible DD ....... so whilst you get better efficiency at higher load ...... :shrug: ........super b is good ...... but only truck I ever rode in that had one didnt spool as quick as mine ! Did I mention (agin) I cant peg the pyro beyond 1050 - WOT up a hill on a hot juice/wa and 150 injectors ! :) :) Personally Id never run a single again ........ and I'd just do a cheap twin kit over a hx35 if I was going from scratch ... a 62/475 if I was really goign for some numbers .............. but whatever I went with I would keep the exhuast side as small as I could for spoolup even if I sacrificed a little :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...

........ and I'd just do a cheap twin kit over a hx35 if I was going from scratch ... a 62/475 if I was really goign for some numbers .............. but whatever I went with I would keep the exhuast side as small as I could for spoolup even if I sacrificed a little :tongue:

Sorry if I missed it but in your sig you have a S472. I bought my 62 in order to twin it later, and am debating on the S475 or S472. How does your Twin setup run? I swear you did a project log on it, just I been gone since the begining of the year. What are the specs on your bottom turbo?

Sorry if I missed it but in your sig you have a S472. I bought my 62 in order to twin it later, and am debating on the S475 or S472. How does your Twin setup run? I swear you did a project log on it, just I been gone since the begining of the year. What are the specs on your bottom turbo?

Actually not sure. Standard s472 - not sure it comes in a variety of housings/turbines unless its modfied aftermarket .. :shrug: I went with a smaller combo for quicker spool hence the he351cw/s472. According to carl this will support up to a hotish 600HP ... I honestly cant see the point of a 62/s475 unless you already have the 62 or are planning on going over 600HP. Id probably sell the 62 at that stage and go with a hx35/s472 .... if your under 500HP. Thats me tho - I prefer spoolup over top end since I doubt I will get to 600HP.

I already have to the 62. My hy was on its way out. Why I picked the "smaller" of the turbos I had in mind. At first was thinking a s480. Now. After some reading and being realistic, I am thinking either a S475 or S472. Leaning towards the 472.

• Staff

There is a BIG difference in the 480 and 472. I see people quite often oversize their primary because it sounds cool. But being realistic about your power goals and matching the turbo to the needs is far more efficient than buying the "cool" turbo and having a poor setup.

How much different is a 472 to a 475? I dont want to have to run a special VP, so from what I gather a SO VP pairs nice with a s472, Hopefully the 62 isn't a little too big.

What I noticed is basically if you like your spoolup now - thats basically what you will get in the twins - eg the spoolup doesnt change, mpg doesnt change - so on. What changes or needs to be considered is *) TOP END HP and EGT *) Drive Pressure *) Spool up of the primary - when it really kicks in (kinda of like second stage spoolup - when your secondary goes from 15 psi to 40+ psi REAL quick) With a 62 as secondary turbo - and you dont want over 600 HP - eg your not ppumping or going with a monster pump ..... then a s472 should work well. Slightly quicker spoolup on the primary for DD. Just will lose a little in teh top end ..... but that probably wont bother/notice as you dont [currently] have the fuel for it anyways. These are some specs availabel on primary I found on CF. 472/96/1.31 472/83/1.10 475/96/1.31 475/83/1.10 I'll try and find out which one I have. BTW - I have similar setup to you and I dont have enough fuel for my smaller 60/s472 combo - thats mainly why I was like your might want to consider a super-b/s472 etc. Carl from crazy carls is where I got my stuff from and hes the main guy I know of for AIR/turbo questions - you can call him or PM in CF ....... he'll set the record straight also :thumbup2:

John, Did you run the HE351 as a single? I am curious how much your cruise boost changed.

Cruise boost I dont think changed at all ......maybe 1-2 psi Honestly the only main differences after twins are 1) I hit 45psi+ QUICK at full throttle 2) My EGT are less than 1100 - normally 800-900 at almost full throttle. thats really it .... but its REALLY nice to know I can throw more fuel at it , it cleans up quickly, and I havent even tuned it and I probably still have 1-2 boost leaks. I need to do a DP check, primary V secondary boost check (balance) .... and boost leak check. Im sure all need some level of attention - but it drives so well anyways.