• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Broken thermostat?

I was coming back from AZ last week, up 93 to Twin Falls coming up grade engine started getting colder going up hill which is opposite of what normally happens. When I got back down on flats temp dropped down to 150. It was 19 degrees outside but that has never happened. Not wanting to stop, I continued on, blocked off radiator all the way and kept temp at 160-170 all the way home. Next day removed thermostat housing. To this?post-11421-138698198982_thumb.jpg Went and bought new one at parts store. This is a first for me, never seen cracked broken thermostat. All is well now, lucky for me it stuck open. Could have been much worse, I might have got stuck in Idaho. :lol:

post-11421-138698198988_thumb.jpg

Just changed mine too, it didnt look that bad but it was coming apart . Hwy 93 lol spent many a late night truckin on that road, Hope the coop at hollister is closed!! Jackpot would be a good place to get stuck.

Big Piney.....just across the way from Boulder....:wink:

I intentionally avoided driving thru CA this trip. Trip was actually shorter going East and down thru OR, ID, NV. and better sights. Wouldn't want to get caught with a 13 rd. mag. in CA. They might think......I would have contacted Mike if I needed help, seen as it is his stomping grounds.

I had system flushed when I got it from my Father, but I don't think it ever had been replaced when he owned it. I will keep it in mind next time i flush it. I searched threads about thermostats and I do think the Dodge hi-flow thermostat controls temp better, but it's not worth the extra $. A Standard 195 F seems to work just fine, temp swings a little more than B-4, can live with. Thought about drilling a couple of 1/8 inch holes in rim of thermostat, just don't know if its worth it or if it will make a difference (used to do it to drag car to keep temp even).

Ya California is a rough spot. I mean you can get anything you need for your truck within an hour, you can motocross, ski, hunt, fish, water ski, surf, or go make ten thousand bucks real quick if all that gets to boring, all within a few hours or even minutes of each other. Ya this place is rough. The hardest thing about this place is leaving. If you break down here give me a call.

• Like 1