• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The 200 vs 190 thermostat expierment thread.

You need to keep in mind that on most vehicles anymore the guages are nothing more that idiot guages, in other words they are programmed to show a certain point as long as the range is what is expected. As an example, the oil pressure guage on Michael's 24 valve truck will rise when the switch is flipped fooling the ECM into thinking it is cold outside and drop back down at the flip of a switch. I remember the video on here, but can't find it.

• Like 1

• Owner

You need to keep in mind that on most vehicles anymore the guages are nothing more that idiot guages, in other words they are programmed to show a certain point as long as the range is what is expected. As an example, the oil pressure guage on Michael's 24 valve truck will rise when the switch is flipped fooling the ECM into thinking it is cold outside and drop back down at the flip of a switch. I remember the video on here, but can't find it.

The day I bought my truck it was around 40 degrees outside and I drove it home 4 hours, temp never really broke about the 160 mark on the factory gauge. I made a winter front that covers just the radiator and my temps still only read around 165-170 with normal driving. A few trips down the interstate at 68-72mph and I can reach 180 ish but on my return trips the temp wont break 165. I bought a 190 thermostat from napa last week but havent had time to install it, after reading this I'll probably spring for the 200* instead. I usually fill up about half a tank (about 300 miles) and my mpg's have been steady a 15 to 17 (hand calculated). Its been in the teens and single didgets in the mornings, and I usually let the truck high idle before I leave in the mornings and before I leave work in the afternoon.   Maybe Friday I'll take a drive out to Cummins and pickup a 200* thermostat and see what kind of a difference that makes.

This is why the hype isn't worth the time as most drive these rigs as cars and never see loads capable of warming them up to even 190 most days on short trips in winter. on my 05 I can drive close to 20 miles at interstate speeds before the t-stat even opens for the first time at 190ish this with the grill inserts and no load in the summer it still takes close to 10 miles to open it up, throw a load on and it is a ton better, this is why most car driven cummins engines will never see the life of a worked diesel engine within reason.

• Owner

I'm lucky where I live with all the distance from everything. So I've got just about 15 miles to work by about 5-7 miles I can typically start getting heat (south Pollock) but 8-9 miles I'm at full 190*F temperature (north Pollock). Then if I go the other way to McCall to the store then I've got a grade to climb to get out the canyon. No problem there I'm fully warmed up typically in under 5 miles from the house. So mountain living with a diesel you can most certain hit full temp within a few miles typically. This is of course with full cover of the grill area.

My cummute to work is about 22 miles, the truck makes heat in the first 8 or so miles just doesnt build any temp on the gauge. This truck was from the southern part of the state and by the looks of it wasnt driven in the winter months, so I'm assuming its only got a 160* thermostat in it. My last 24v was a 5 speed and would litterly roast you outta the cab in 5 miles.

I work with a guy who recently got a 99 24v, and his drive to work is 2 miles, he drives that truck every day.

• 2 months later...

I recently installed a 195* thermostat in place of the stock 180 in my 95. I also flushed the engine out with water and put in a new radiator. I lost 1.2 mpg hand calculated too so the 180 is going back in. If anyone is interested, I have a 195 with new rubber gasket that has 350 miles for sale. It's one of those off of eBay that's not supposed to fluctuat. It rides here pretty steadily

post-265-0-04631600-1423713820_thumb.jpg

I recently installed a 195* thermostat in place of the stock 180 in my 95. I also flushed the engine out with water and put in a new radiator. I lost 1.2 mpg hand calculated too so the 180 is going back in. If anyone is interested, I have a 195 with new rubber gasket that has 350 miles for sale. It's one of those off of eBay that's not supposed to fluctuat. It rides here pretty steadily

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

curious...

Did you notice the  cooling fan  running more with the hotter stat?