• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

my fuel boss install

Just one filter?

I would put a f/w sep before the fuel boss, like a Balfwin BF1212 or Fleetguard FS1000.

after house sells ill be doing something like this and adding secondary lift pump. i just dont have funds right now :(

- - - Updated - - -

so i ran into teathing problems, the install was tedious but straight forward. However ive run into a snag and am currently working with rich to solve the no prime/no pressure issue.

I will say that he has been a very standup guy to work with and he has made a life customer out of me! i give him 10 thumbs up!

i will update when truck is running.

Just one filter? I would put a f/w sep before the fuel boss, like a Balfwin BF1212 or Fleetguard FS1000.

Can you just pull the fuel from the stock canister? That way you have a filter before the pump. Just a thought.

I wouldn't, that's a pressure designed filter. Filter bases and fittings are cheap.

:thumbup2: I notice some people when they install after market fuel pumps they install a fuel sump I know there are pros/cons to everything. But would that be a good idea to install a fuel sump or to plumb it the way the company suggests to? :think: Hope what I am asking makes sense. Ok one more question if you had the funds would just buy one to upgrade or would you wait until the stock pump went out?

Sorry, I can't see sigs on my phone. If you have a newer common rail your in pretty good shape, the cp3 won't burn up quite like the VP will, however I would still recommend an upgrade asap and maybe a cp3 from a dirtymax or a bag o parts. (Cp3 upgrade not lift pump.) The common rails have a huge upgrade variable based on what you intend to do with the truck as an end result.

Sorry, I can't see sigs on my phone. If you have a newer common rail your in pretty good shape, the cp3 won't burn up quite like the VP will, however I would still recommend an upgrade asap and maybe a cp3 from a dirtymax or a bag o parts. (Cp3 upgrade not lift pump.) The common rails have a huge upgrade variable based on what you intend to do with the truck as an end result.

Hey Thanks :thumbup2: for the advice. So instead of a lift pump like a fuel boss just upgrade the CP3 that's what you are saying right? My end result with my truck is to use it to haul and a daily driver I am not going to be racing or sled pulling. I cannot afford to pay and play :lol:

• Staff

Hey Thanks :thumbup2: for the advice. So instead of a lift pump like a fuel boss just upgrade the CP3 that's what you are saying right? My end result with my truck is to use it to haul and a daily driver I am not going to be racing or sled pulling. I cannot afford to pay and play :lol:

Don't worry about a modified CP3.

Don't worry about a modified CP3.

So would you just go with a fuel boss or DTT fuel pump then or wait until its about to crap out? The only reason I am asking these questions is I want to stay ahead of the curve I have 95,000 miles on my ride and I do not want any big expensive problems down the road. allot of good comments or responses :thumbup2:

I haven't decided if I am going to go mechanical or electrical yet. Lots of people get 150K or more out of their OEM lift pump, but I am more in the preventative mind.

I'm at 220K and pretty sure it's the third lift pump on my truck, but still feel like I'm driving around on a time bomb with it, hence my preventative measure with my fuel boss. Richard did mention that one of the causes for pump failure is fuel starvation and he mentioned that a restriction before the pump such as an aftermarket filter system could cause premature pump failure. That might turn some of you off from the fuel boss. I'm not sure how much strain a f/w and separate filter might put on the fuel boss. If anyone has done this, I'd like to know.

• Staff

The 2nd gen fuel pump is a much more prone to failure unit than the 3rd gen in-tank setup, but they still don't last forever. If I couldn't put a filter before the fuel boss I wouldn't get it. Personally one of the big reasons I want to change lift pumps is to get a pre-pump f/w sep installed.

My buddy got a smoking deal on an early 04 from a co-worker because it has a dead lift pump. 1st one lasted 195k on the block and he went to oreilly and picked up another carter. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and not mess with it until it goes out.

That had been my train of thought - if it ain't broke..., but went ahead anyway.