• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back to stock injectors for a short time

• Owner

Well I yanked my RV275's back out. They started to misfire at idle again. Looking them over and the nozzle where only lightly sooty and the nozzle holes were very visible even to the naked eye. So I already talked to a shop in Lewiston, Idaho about retuning hem back to pop pressure. Like I told him I found injector with a wore shim and I'm pretty sure this injector is my problem. So I'll report back what I find out when I get them bench tested.

• Owner

Other than the idle were there any other indications? Fuel in oil, smokier than usual, etc?

No other changes just sound nasty idling. Random off beat miss that will disappear if you turn on the A/C, put a load on the power steering or have a heavy foot on the brake pedal. MPG's are good and smoke is near nothing with my current tune.

correct me if I am wrong Mike, yours have alot of miles on them. I got a set rv's from DAP myself about 50k miles ago and the still work just fine.

Is this a common problem with the RV's or just an issue you've been dealing with personally? I just bought a set of genuine Bosch RV's from DAP. Hopefully I don't have problems with them.

Remember guys these injectors are hand me downs with over 400K miles on them. CajFlynn gave them to me when he upgraded from RV275's to a larger injector.

Certainly getting your miles out of them. Just shows what can be done if you're willing to work on things rather then just replacing parts like most. We had a clean room and use to rebuilt nozzles/injectors by the dozens for larger engines, now everything is sent out because no one has the training/experience. Your current situation has helped me decide to just keep my stock injectors when the time comes to upgrade, that way I also have a standby set.

• Owner

:cry:RV275's injectors are completely wore out and not worth pop tuning. The Nozzle and needles are all shot. Injectors are suppose to pop at 300 bar at least the shop I was at wanted 305-310 bar as a typical mark. Mine were pissy and leaking at 260-270 bar. Average pop pressure was 270 or so. So they are all firing low and early. This also accounts for the random misfire somewhere to because of the pissy nozzles. The guy was nice enough to show me a good used injector and how it suppose to hold up and they are worlds of difference. Then he showed me the pintle needle difference and what is normal and what isn't. Another tidbit learned was that injectors are typically short lived on rotary pumps like VE and VP44 compared to the in-line P7100 pump.So back in the box my dud injectors went and now off shopping for new injectors either RV275's or +50 HP injectors. :whistle:

• Like 1

150hp sac injectors made by a fat Asian builder called lee - hahaha Same as Ryan's (vco) 98whitelightening There pretty good , I like Jamie's CPP +75 I was running prior also I really think these trucks should have come with bigger injectors stock

• Owner

Interesting too see if any mpg diff

I can tell you that dropping my old RV275's out and putting back in my stock injectors I lost about 3 MPG. My trip to Lewiston, ID I maxed out at about 17.5 MPG round trip. :rolleyes::duh: Hence why the replace are being purchased because the old one where just too pissy and misfiring to much at idle again so after seeing a few day of driving and the MPG is lower with stock I'm going back to +50 HP and should see the brown truck Friday. :drool: I know what I'm doing Saturday morning... :whistle:

• Owner

Hmmm, too bad this didnt happen a little sooner when the turbo crisis happened, you could have had some more options to take it up to the next level....::burnout::stirthepot:

No I can't. The exhaust brake is hanging me with a HX35W turbo permanently. So I'll never be upgrading turbos. Also I'm not after major HP/TQ. I'm after the MPG numbers. So at this point there is no need in upgrading to 75 HP or even larger. I got enough problems with 2nd and 3rd gear barking the tires now with or without the RV. That's on the old wore out RV275's.

Does Eric build injectors? :shrug:

Call him up and ask about it. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973mans-dealer-contacts/12-dealers--vendors/11-vulcan-performance