• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Beating a dead horse?

Regular household TP here even since my folks rved in the 70's. All goes into the same septic tank in the end anyhow, actually never knew why they were 2 different types anyhow. :think: What is the argument between the two?

I'm kinda curious myself. I know most TP is "septic safe'

• Staff

Toilet paper test....... Put some of the paper in a jar of water and with minimal shaking it should break down easily into small pieces. Poopoo fingers means it's too soft.:sick:Regular Scott tissue usually tests out just perfect. Been using it for ten years with no problems so far in the rv.

Regular household TP here even since my folks rved in the 70's. All goes into the same septic tank in the end anyhow, actually never knew why they were 2 different types anyhow. :think: What is the argument between the two?

See here for example. Reason I bring it up is: 1. I'm extremely wet behind the ears when it comes to RV'ing. 2. The dealer I bought the trailer from, gave me their speech. They started by saying that I need the RV toilet paper because it is made to dissolve quickly. It will keep clogs from happening and also keep the holding tank sensor free of debris. If I do not use the rv toilet paper, I run that risk above. Personally, I have read about more people using regular toilet paper than not. Sounds like there are just a few principles to live by when it comes to the matter: 1. Use lots of water 2. Keep the tank full as much as possible before dumping 3. Make sure that the tank never gets dry when there is stuff in it 4. Flush and/or rinse the tank after dumping I plan on doing all the above and I also have a black tank sprayout cleaner thingy majiggy that came with the trailer. It also sounds like if there is a possibility, don't dump until after you towed a little to slosh things up a bit. I'll be fulltiming in an RV park soon so there won't be any way to do that. ...I tell ya what, if I had some money for my idea, it would revolutionize the way our poop goes in an RV! :smart:

• Owner

. I'll be fulltiming in an RV park soon so there won't be any way to do that.

Ok. So if your going to be fulltiming in the RV leave the black tank closed till its absolutely full then dump it. If you got a rinse coupling or a wash wand then rinse the tank out well or back fill the tank and dump it again. Another great web site for RV information is http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php which I'm also a staff member off...:rolleyes:

Ok. So if your going to be fulltiming in the RV leave the black tank closed till its absolutely full then dump it. If you got a rinse coupling or a wash wand then rinse the tank out well or back fill the tank and dump it again. Another great web site for RV information is http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php which I'm also a staff member off...:rolleyes:

Thats exactly what I will be doing. Except I will be using the tank washer to fill it after the initial dump to clean and flush. Now I suppose the other question would then be, black tank treatments? Should I make a new thread on this?

• Owner

Thats exactly what I will be doing. Except I will be using the tank washer to fill it after the initial dump to clean and flush. Now I suppose the other question would then be, black tank treatments? Should I make a new thread on this?

Like over at the RV forum Gary usually suggest using Rid-X for a treatment for solid waste problems but most people like Dripley use common sense and can keep there tanks fairly clean without buying a bunch of chemicals for the tank. I've personally never used chemicals even while full timing in my older 1976 Dodge Jamboree. Once again just used common sense and rinse the tank with fresh water and started over again. I will admit on warm days the tank can smell rather foul so if your smart after finishing the paperwork then close the lid before flushing I know it hard to tell but at least the smell won't knock you out while flushing.
  • Like 1

Like over at the RV forum Gary usually suggest using Rid-X for a treatment for solid waste problems but most people like Dripley use common sense and can keep there tanks fairly clean without buying a bunch of chemicals for the tank. I've personally never used chemicals even while full timing in my older 1976 Dodge Jamboree. Once again just used common sense and rinse the tank with fresh water and started over again. I will admit on warm days the tank can smell rather foul so if your smart after finishing the paperwork then close the lid before flushing I know it hard to tell but at least the smell won't knock you out while flushing.

So what your really saying to me in incognito, is the dealer is trying to get me to buy a bunch of crap I do not need! :lmao: ...I guess I should start looking at them like a stealership, too.

I do use a chemical in the hot weather for odor control. It can knock you down like MM says. I just use something mild and inexpensive. I am not trying to dissolve anything, its not in there long enough. Just for odor. I usually rinse mine once a month and it keeps it clean and the sensors still read just fine. When I travel I will leave 5 gallons in the black tank so it sloshes around and rinse it when I first set up. Now this is important about rinsing, never connect the hose, get another beer and start talking to the neighbors. It can lead to a mess.:whistle:

• Like 1

• Owner

Since I got a RV dump station in my front yard its no big deal for me. I can rinse and clean my tanks all I want. Out in front of the guest house is a sewer clean out which is awesome. I just back in with RV and hook up and dump just like the public dump stations. But I've got all the water in the world so I can dump the tanks, fill with fresh dump again, then add a cup of bleach to all three tanks and fill and let sit over night. Then dump in the morning absolutely no smell at all. Sensors are clean and functional as well. I typically leave the waste valves open and the tanks to dry. The only thing that really gets my goat going is the previous owner didn't keep up on the flushing part so solid waste was crammed in the knife valve seals so the outlet was always full of waste water when you open the cap. (Ewwww! :sick:) So I ended up pulling all 3 knife valves and cleaning the seals and re-installing again. Now they hold tight and no issues. The only thing I'm really really careful about is the potable water tank. That I will sanitize every spring with bleach solution and flush and fill again. I will only fill with water from home after getting sick from filling with city water at a RV park. Never again. It really does suck to go out on a trip and get sick from drink city water. This Idaho boy has been living on good ol' fashion well water for 25 years and just can't drink the city water at all.

I Rv during hot weather and use the cheapest stuff Walmart sells for septic treatment just to keep the smell at bay, I find that it helps to add about 5 gallons of water to the black tank before use with the treatment to keep smells down better too, Start using it with just treatment right away without enough water and things get pretty ripe quickly.

• Staff

I've heard Johnson's Baby oil is good for all the knife valve seals during rv storage if you can pour enough in to get to them. I usually put some in for the toilet valve too.

Now this is important about rinsing, never connect the hose, get another beer and start talking to the neighbors. It can lead to a mess.:whistle:

Clarify this for me, again? :think:

I will only fill with water from home after getting sick from filling with city water at a RV park. Never again. It really does suck to go out on a trip and get sick from drink city water. This Idaho boy has been living on good ol' fashion well water for 25 years and just can't drink the city water at all.

Well water is GREAT! I'll be working in a he||hole soon, we are gonna get the filter treatment system you hook up in-line to your plumbing. Takes a big ol' filter canister. http://www.dyersonline.com/shurflo-water-treatment-system.html Yep, we are hoping someday to get some land and build a shop. Put hookups inside and live good. :pray:

This is what i did. I closed the drain valve and left the toilet valve closed and hooked up to the rinse connection and left the water on. I then proceeded to the beer locker and stopped and talked to the neighbor. As we were BS'ing, I noticed water coming off the roof of the rv. :doh: Somebody forgot the water was on. It actually filled the black water tank and went up the vent pipe and was venting water onto the roof. Fortunately I had already dumped the tank and was just rinsing. I did not even know that was possible, but it is.:lmao2:

• Like 1

• Staff

This is what i did. I closed the drain valve and left the toilet valve closed and hooked up to the rinse connection and left the water on. I then proceeded to the beer locker and stopped and talked to the neighbor. As we were BS'ing, I noticed water coming off the roof of the rv. :doh: Somebody forgot the water was on. It actually filled the black water tank and went up the vent pipe and was venting water onto the roof. Fortunately I had already dumped the tank and was just rinsing. I did not even know that was possible, but it is.:lmao2:

Be careful Dave, some of them manufacturers don't seal the pipe to the roof :stuned:.

• Staff

I was told by the dealer rep to use Charmin and haven't had a problem with it. I do like JAG1's way of finding what will work. Most holding tanks are about 35 gal + or - 5gal so it's about the size of a 33 gal trash can that you're filling, not that big, put in 5 gal and it's over 14% full. I mix up my own concoction; 4-8 oz of each: liquid laundry detergent, bleach, and Calgon or other water softener in a 5gal pail. I put about a gal in each of the kitchen and gray water tanks and the rest in the black water. I mix it weak for the winter and stronger for summer.