• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT Question

dorkweed

Can the EGT on the CR engines be "too low". I'm not talking idle EGT either. I'm talking highway cruising EGT. Both going to and coming home from my folks for Christmas, my trucks were running 500-525* over level ground at 65mph. 60 mile trip one way and all highway. The EGT's seemed to be normal while rowing thru the gears though, so the gauge wasn't stuck. Outside temps were 34*F going down and 23*F coming back today. Smarty was on SW3 default settings. Truck ran good, just curious here.:confused:

Has it always been that temp? I don't really see a problem. I think mine is maybe 50F hotter, though my probe is right before the turbo, you can see the nut it screws into. If you are still having doubts, just pull the probe out and clean the black stuff off and see if it's any different. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=114

• Owner

My pyro probe is in the same place as ISX... Like today cruising home in the snow storm at 50-55 MPH and the highway was white also got my winter fronts on I only see 400-500*F pyro. I've seen some low pyro temps to myself but typically rise with the outside temps too... At -20*F weather it tough to see 600*F even rowing...:eek:

Well temperature has a lot bigger impact than I thought on EGT. Never really pay too close attention to it's tendencies but today I was going 75 up a hill that you build 15psi to keep speed and it never got over 700F. Last I remember, it ran 650-700F doing 70 on flat ground. So the single digit temps are definitely taking a toll on it, even with the winter front on.

• 1 year later...