• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Click, click..

So its been happening more often now. I've counted a few times this week now. Hot or cold it happens. Is it the starter contacts or something worse?If its the contacts where do I get them? I've got a cummins parts dealer a block away!

yup larry b is where i got mine, took bout an hour to pull starter, replace contacts and reinstall. I got the brush replacement kit and contact replacement kit. Get both so when the brushes wear down you have them handy. while starter is out, inspect the windings, cummutator (part where brushes contact) and if it has plenty of life you are good. here is the link to what i got http://www.fostertruck.com/cummins-dodge-denso-starter-easy-rebuild-kit-94-06.html comes with a 10mm combo wrench for the bottom 2 bolts and use a 10mm 1/4" ratchet on the top bolt, loosen it but not all the way. Get under truck remove both bottom bolts, then top bolt and ensure not to drop starter on face, it hurts. (no i didnt do this) install in reverse with top bolt on by fingers from bottom, then install bottom bolts, tighten top then bottom bolts. vice grips or impact driver for the crosstip bolts hoding starter together. take yer time, clean it before dissassembly.

My starter did that once. I looked into the replacement contacts and told my self I'd order them the next time it did it...... Well the next time the starter just stayed on. So I ended up having to get a whole new starter.

mine did this a couple times but finally released while the new parts were inroute. luckily it stopped before i drove lol

So its been happening more often now. I've counted a few times this week now. Hot or cold it happens. Is it the starter contacts or something worse? If its the contacts where do I get them? I've got a cummins parts dealer a block away!

post-12578-138698206082_thumb.jpgImages shows only one bad contact during my Click-Click this summer. I got a suggestion to sand the plunger and reuse it. Watch out for the little ball that falls out when removing plunger, sometimes it stays inside the starter. If you need them quick, try an AC/Delco distributor otherwise the Larry B kit possibly can come with heavy duty contacts.

i had a similar problem a while back. here is the write up i did with pics.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1911-Starter-contact-write-up

- - - Updated - - -

as i said in the write up...after being stranded a couple times without ordering the contacts i opened up the starter and "wallered" out the contact hole that the stud goes thru to move it closer to the plunger. it was wafer thin but lasted until the contacts arrived...basically the contact was so worn that in no longer made contact. so the i made it closer to make the contact.

• Like 1

:banghead: Alright, so the starter is consistently taking atleast 2-3 tries before it cranks.Vaughn, Wa is where larry b's based out of and its only 173 miles away from me. :rolleyes: It'd cost me more to try and drive over there to get a kit, but shipping is gonna suck for me.I've got 1 of 2 options:1. Order on their website, pay shipping and wait till the end of the week.2. Order on their ebay store, free shipping and get it in a couple days.Except, my paypal acct. is not up to date and I'd have to wait a couple days before I can order.HAHA! So, I have to wait probably until the end of the week before I could get it unless I pay extra to get it sooner. Except, I won't have time to fix it.Heres to playing the russian roulette with my starter and getting to work! :ahhh: Lets pray that it lasts me 'til then and doesn't give out on me or seize on me... :banghead:Anyone know if I should get the complete rebuild, or just the easy? I figure I'll redo the brushes, etc. while I'm in there. Did not know if I should take it a step further and do the complete or not...

i had a similar problem a while back. here is the write up i did with pics.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1911-Starter-contact-write-up

- - - Updated - - -

as i said in the write up...after being stranded a couple times without ordering the contacts i opened up the starter and "wallered" out the contact hole that the stud goes thru to move it closer to the plunger. it was wafer thin but lasted until the contacts arrived...basically the contact was so worn that in no longer made contact. so the i made it closer to make the contact.

do like i said that way ur truck isn't down. the reason the starter isn't cranking is because one of the contacts is so worn it cannot make the connection. open it out and make the hole that holds the contact on a little longer and reassemble so u can get by for a bit.
  • Like 1

do like i said that way ur truck isn't down. the reason the starter isn't cranking is because one of the contacts is so worn it cannot make the connection. open it out and make the hole that holds the contact on a little longer and reassemble so u can get by for a bit.

I missed that part! Thanks!

Make sure your not getting slop in your shift linkage and your not hitting your safety switch when you put it in park to shut the truck off. Next time it happens, just wiggle your shifter a little or put it in neutral and try it again. I agree it most likely your starter but just throwing it out there since nobody else mentioned it.

Make sure your not getting slop in your shift linkage and your not hitting your safety switch when you put it in park to shut the truck off. Next time it happens, just wiggle your shifter a little or put it in neutral and try it again. I agree it most likely your starter but just throwing it out there since nobody else mentioned it.

i've never owned a auto car/truck....so there are lots of things i forget to mention. :tongue:

Hmm... I will give it a try. Hopefully its not that though! Talked to Larry B on the phone today. Cool guy, gave me the E-bay deal. So I should see the kit his Wed!

did you open the starter up and move the contact closer to the plunger? i had to make the hole longer to get it closer but it worked for longer than i care to admit. it didn't fail after i opened it...but it took me awhile to get around to ordering the kit from larryb.

- - - Updated - - -

it was better than being stuck