• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heat & pressure sores... not a god time...

With my MS, this heat is just trashing me. Wednesday, I was so wiped out... guess it wore me down. I already have trouble walking but could barely get 1 foot in front of the other. Even though the Cirrus has AC, it heated up at each stop. I only have AC down stairs so I retreated down to the (walkout) basement. Soon after I started shivering (temp was 72). I was too weak to get the supper Sheila had left. I called her & she was nearly home. My temp was 102 at that point... so only "Heat Exhaustion' since heat stroke begins at 105. To tell the truth, if my waking was the indicator, I was in trouble before I went out. I vegged out yesterday. Took it easy most of today. When I went to go out, my car was scorching in the full Sun. I reached in & started it up. Then I took my garden hose, & started hosing down the sheet metal, finally getting to the glass after it had cooled down. It worked as the car was pretty bearable & the AC was able to catch up quickly.So I have some heat / pressure sores going on... nasty, painful... I don't see them going away so planning a doctor's visit for Monday...

• Owner

You might have that A/C looked at on your little Cirrus see if it can be improved. I know what you mean its over 105*F in Riggins, ID and like 95-98*F on the hill where we are still working the fire and I'm hiding under trees to keep cool while waiting for engines to come out for water from our tender. Nasty hot these days. So you be careful and hide from the heat for now.

Put some water bottles in the fridge and sip on them. Bring a cooler with you in the car if you have to. Always kept me cool anyways :shrug: Going to denver it was 110F through kansas and I have no a/c at all (haven't recharged it yet) but even drinking hot water helps as you can continue sweating your *** off :lmao:

• Staff

If you have to work in the heat, I learned from a very smart lady that you do much better if you keep the back of your spine cooler. Just keep your T shirt wet down the middle with some water. Keepng your spine cool will help the rest of you too. It works good.

A little advice I may be able to give to help you from hitting that high core temp may be of use to you... But its gotta be put into practice. Hydration is the biggest factor. Don't drink extremely cold water because it will be a shock to your body. Drink cool water. I'm out in the heat all day long and I go through atleast a gallon of water in 8 hrs. According to OSHA, we are supposed to be drinking 8 oz of water every 15 min!Keep your core temp down. Water helps to do that along with hydration. Make sure your also taking in electrolytes as well. Wear loose fitting cotton clothing. Light colors and not dark. I suggest in also wearing a head wrap and neck wrap of some sort and keeping it wet and cold.The blood circulating to and from your head through your neck is one of the best ways to cool yourself as your blood circulates through a "thinner" area. Thats why you bleed so easy when you split your head open. Keep your blood cool and you stay cool.If you are prone to chafing, put on some body powder. Keep yourself dry in those tighter areas. As well, if you are not in fit physical condition and your cardiovascular system is not up to par, take breaks, limit yourself to heat exposure. Everything you do will be compounded even more.

Be glad you guys weren't with me last week. Temps outside were into the 90s (around here that is quite hot), high humidity to boot. Anyhow, I was installing some "small" gas burners in a rotary hearth at a steel making plant (http://www.mesabinuggetmn.com/) and the hearth was running at about 2600 degrees. No, that is not a typo. I was litteraly inches from the side of it wearing full FR clothes but at least me and my partner there had ice vests on (they only lasted about 1 1/2 hrs before beeing almost completely melted), but more than one time we pushed things a little to hard to where we both stopped sweating. That hearth was HOT!!! Oh, the "small" burners were only 10,000,000 btus ant there are six to be installed......

If you have to work in the heat, I learned from a very smart lady that you do much better if you keep the back of your spine cooler. Just keep your T shirt wet down the middle with some water. Keepng your spine cool will help the rest of you too. It works good.

That definitely works. When I ride dirtbikes I sometimes wear a camelback (backpack full of water). The first time I wore it was when it was 100F and figured I should finally bring water. I had no idea how it soaked all the heat out of your back, it was downright awesome.

• Owner

Kind like my buddy and I on the fire line. We wear bandanna's and keep them soaking wet by dipping them in the fold-a-tanks or creek. In the heat of the day find a shady spot under a tree. Limit the exposure in the direct sunlight if possible. Like this fire we been very lucky to just be working a water tender and filling fold-a-tanks or small wildland engines. But we are seeing close to 100*F weather just about every day. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.4221105&lon=-116.31541099999998&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Riggins%2C%20ID%2083549%2C%20USA#.UevTruFx2Bw

I'm packing water bottles in the car now... I always used to. I'm very susceptible because of the MS & many meds. back when I used to ride my horse in warm weather, I'd soak my T shirt in cold water & wring out & put on (GASP!!) but it kept me pretty cool. My female companions didn't dare to do that... I'd use my canteen to re-wet the shirt as it dried. I seem to have a bad rash beyond what I could see & some lumps which I don't understand. I am treating them & now seem to be improving. Any set back will be an instant dr visit. I'm home alone for a few days... so I can use fans to air dry & no one the wiser.