• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New revised MPG/High idle switch design

Dang, does that truck ever get used? It looks brand new on the inside! I noticed the white hood, Is that a different truck from the picture in your avatar?

:lol: yea nice spot! that isnt my truck i didnt have a camera so i just used trusty old google to get me a pick of the same dash layout as mine!

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I have sworn up a storm dozens of times that I left the MPG fooler on, then tried to start the truck on a cold morning. With the MPG fooler, the engine is seeing 143* @ the IAT. you get NO grid heaters. Then, you whack yourself upside the head & say "WTF" !!!!! You have to turn the MPG fooler off & wait for the 25 second fuel pump run, then you get the heaters back. This is why I want this to be completely visible with an LED to indicate that a function is selected. To me, that would mean a column dash pod, pillar pod or a gauge pod affixed to the dash pad for other options.

This is my first time posting here, so I hope this going to turn out ok.

Correct me if I am wrong; the toggle switch only needs to be on for a specific length of time to activate the MPG fooler, so, a momentary push button switch, and a timer circuit can replace the toggle switch. Once activated the circuit will shut off after the programmed time until the next time the button is pushed again, this way it will never be left on. An LED indicator is always a good idea so you know what the status is.

Brian

• Owner

Actually it can't be done that way. What we are basically doing is unhooking the IAT sensor and stuffing a resistor 2.2k ohm in the plug. So no its not a momentary thing for the MPG fooler. But for the high idle it is. But then again if you start with timer circuits and PCB design your adding cost to it. I know Ed is working darn hard to keep the cost down and keep the design easy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am going to have both the gauge pod unit & the cubby hole unit ready at the same time. Wire has been an issue, as I have gotten shipments of wrong products. I also just have to finalize mounting for the gauge face unit today. Then, the engraver can start cutting for me & once the proper wire comes, I can produce. I have 50 switches waiting for wire & faceplates ready to go.Ed

• Owner

MPG Fooler - Attempts to mimic summer temperature to increase MPG. Since the only sensor that changes sue to weather is IAT sensor. High Idle 6 & 3 Cylinder - Allows you to select either mode to warm up your truck quickly in the cold winter or maybe keep the alternator amped up while working or maybe set high idle for the hot days to cool the truck down with air conditioning.

High Idle 6 & 3 Cylinder - Allows you to select either mode to warm up your truck quickly in the cold winter or maybe keep the alternator amped up while working or maybe set high idle for the hot days to cool the truck down with air conditioning.

High Idle 6 & 3 Cylinder. Can somene explain this in greater detail? If you choose 3 cyl, does it add extra fuel only to 3 cyls? Or does the 6 & 3 each represent a different high idle speed - 6 being higher? Not completely understanding this. Thanks

The Cummins has software that you enable to have the 6 cylinder high idle or the 3 cylinder high idle. When the 6 cyl hi idle kicks in, the RPMs go up to 1200. When the 3 cyl hi idle kicks in, it sounds like the motor is tearing itself apart. It sounds horrible. With the 3 cyl hi idle, the VP-44 cuts fuel off from 3 cylinders causing increased resistance, therefore increasing temps.