• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommendations for cab steps?

I've had double width cast steps... "looks like the bully" but can't be sure. I've had them a long time. They are none too big & with my MS I wouldn't be able to get into the truck at all without them. As is I must set my feet just so, pull myself up to stand on the step outside the truck, then slide in. It's fine as far as it goes... unless it's raining or snowing! I'd like something bigger & lower... like lowered running boards.

• Staff

My wife had bad knees (see's had them both replaced now) so I installed a set of Lund 80" aluminum running boards. They are from Summit Racing Equipment, part# LND-291130. I think I had to get the EZ custom fit brackets part# LND-300013 to mount them. The cost was $209.95 plus $5.00 non standard package fee. This is a May of 2005 price. My wife likes them because they are wide to stand on, and she would use the steering wheel to help pull herself in.

• Owner

I've got the Bully Bar (Nerf Bars) and they hold up really good to my body mass (220-225#). I've also got a bad knee (dis-located years ago) and lower back issues now and then. But all in all the Bully Bars are not bad. As for the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 its got a set of factory running boards on it. But being is lower to the ground I normally don't really use them.

I built my own steps for when my dad steals my truck from me. I used the tube step brackets that were left on my truck when the steps themselves rusted off. Welded some schedule 80 2 inch pipe onto those and welded 1/4 by 2 inch angle iron to the pipe. Made them long enough they are a good step to get into the toolbox also. Have had 4 people (average weight of 200 pounds each) standing on one step at the same time.

When I bought my '06 new, I didn't have the time to shop since I was moving out of state within 3 weeks. My wife has bad knees from an auto accident she was in as a child and I wanted something helping us in and out and to stop killing any possibility of screwing up the seats edge with tears. And causing a purchase of new lower seats in the future.I spent the money and bought the Dodge chrome step tubes from the Dodge dealer parts department. When I installed them, they went on quick and have been solid from day one. The chrome has stayed good with minimum / standard efforts in cleaning them. They are spaced enough from the truck body that allows them to throw mud and snow when it accumulates while traveling. They have held up with my weight, and I'm no light weight. The two things that are against them are: 1. they came from the dealer parts department. (I know many don't like this comment)2. They are not cheap. (They were about 400 then.) But I feel they will be with the vehicle until I sell her or if I die first. And expensive investment, but well worth it.