• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

lack of power,stock truck

• Owner

Start with the simple things, like fuel and air filters. Then work into something bigger.

I would do this as well. Als overify the speed your traveling with a GPS since your speedometer is most likely skewed with larger tires.

[*]Check for codes

[*]Check fuel pressure from idle to WOT

[*]Make sure you getting into lockup

[*]Overboosting (should show up in the error codes)

my 2001 with auto tranny 47re seems gutless,my diff's are 3.55 with 35" tires.How would you know if the torq convertor is slipping or tranny?Top end of the truck is 85 mph and slow on take off.Is this normal for the specs of my truck?

Bone stock they aren't gutless...but they aren't fast either. 1st and 2nd are really slow (geared for towing). If your TC is slipping your rpms will rise fast and the engine will race without vehicle speed increasing. If you have a stock or original carter pump then it can't handle the fuel delivery needed for 85 mph, or any speed for that matter (carter pumps are only useful as a backup). First diesel?

I don't know what converter you have, but flashing 2600 RPM off the line on a 47RE isn't normal. I would agree with the rest that it sounds like a trans problem. Either you aren't getting lockup and/or you aren't getting OD either. What RPM is "flat out" at 85 mph?

• Staff

With 35's and being stock and w/ the 47RE................................Do we need to go further??!!:shrug::2cents::duh: Just saying!!:smart: And I'm most likely "wrong"!!! So have at it!!!!!!:2cents::smart::thumb1:

I am not sure how those come into play either. I have been in a truck with 35's, 3.55's, and a 47RE and it had no issues. Even being stock it still had 235hp and 460 ft/lbs, that's not hurting in the power department. It doesn't match today's Cummins, but it's plenty of power to do 85 without an issue.

• Staff

Sounds to me like your torque converter is going bad. Check the condition and level of the trans fluid. A trans temp gauge would help also because when the converter and other components, IE bands and clutch packs, start to go bad the temp jumps up to over 240 degrees in stop and go driving. You might want to have a reputable transmission shop do a once over.

Sounds to me like your torque converter is going bad. Check the condition and level of the trans fluid. A trans temp gauge would help also because when the converter and other components, IE bands and clutch packs, start to go bad the temp jumps up to over 240 degrees in stop and go driving. You might want to have a reputable transmission shop do a once over.

I think your right that's probably the best way to go .....Thanks man!!:thumb1:

• 1 month later...

Talked to our tranny guy and he said a shift kit can be installed for $500. but that might kill what's left out of my tranny.How can I troubleshoot problem with lock up or bad TC.Somebody mentioned the tranny would go up to 240 degrees if wore out at what temp does the dummy light flicks on,never seen it come on yet.If I buy a Smarty can I modify the shifting pattern?The tranny as 300,000 km the tranny guy figures it lots of k's for a 47RE.This truck pulled a few campers and not abused,the only thing making it work harder is the 35'