• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

03 High oil usage with blowby

Wild and Free

I ran an AFE stage 2 cold air intake system with dry filter with the nylon outerware on my 02, I cleaned it with a blow gun once a year and it ran over 100K and my oil samples were clean as a whistle after replacing the K&N with it.On the 05 I have the factory air box with the 4" deep pleated Wix filter with the cold air intake mod to the box and the cool blue hose between the airbox and turbo.

A passing filter can dust an engine in short order depending on the environment. I've seen it happen on a tractor out in the fields. One thing about Cummins is they have done their homework when it comes to filtration. In most cases people take a step backwards when they "upgrade" they're air intake system. JR

• Like 1

The shop told him they get at least one diesel pickup in every month with a dusted engine caused by aftermarket air filter systems that were cheap or improperly serviced. In my buddies case he had both a cheaper system and he was not up on the servicing it properly.

So, is the theory behind the dusted motor being due to an improperly serviced air filter pointing at a lack of filtration and thus dust particles hurting the motor, or a lack of airflow due to a plugged filter resulting in essentially an "overfuel" condition? I kind of had the impression that the dirtier a filter gets, essentially (and maybe only up to a certain point) the "better" it filters (or rather, the more debris will be filtered due to having lesser "unplugged" surface area to make it passed). The obvious drawback being that less and less air can get by the plugged filter, which might directly cause an "overfuel" condition due to a lack of oxygen in the combustion chamber.Kind of makes me nervous about the S&B filter that currently resides on my rig.

So, is the theory behind the dusted motor being due to an improperly serviced oil filter pointing at a lack of filtration and thus dust particles hurting the motor, or a lack of airflow due to a plugged filter resulting in essentially an "overfuel" condition? I kind of had the impression that the dirtier a filter gets, essentially (and maybe only up to a certain point) the "better" it filters (or rather, the more debris will be filtered due to having lesser "unplugged" surface area to make it passed). The obvious drawback being that less and less air can get by the plugged filter, which might directly cause an "overfuel" condition due to a lack of oxygen in the combustion chamber. Kind of makes me nervous about the S&B filter that currently resides on my rig.

It is not an overfuel condition. That would cause melted pistons. The problem is that the filter does not filter good enough and the dust (hence 'dusted') acts like sandpaper and wears the pistons/rings/cylinders prematurely. You are correct, though, the dirtier the filter is the more efficient it becomes. A 100% efficient filter is no good though because it will not even let air through........

• Owner

Actually the washable media filter break down over time with every washing so the filter media tend to allow larger and more debris particles into the engine. It's the whole fact of just washing the filter that becomes the problem. There is no way for a owner to verify the filtration of a filter after washing 10, 20, 50, 100 times if it still meeting the grade. This why I do not suggest washable media filters at all just way to risky for the expense of a Cummins engine to be rebuilt or replaced.

• Like 1

It is the quality of the filter itself mainly, then the lack of servicing or lack of cleaning and oiling it properly, an oiled filter with a lack of oil is basically filtering out the chunks and not filtering the finer particulates that cause the damage to the cylinder walls and rings.If you buy a cheap oiled filter and then do not maintain it properly is like running a screen door screen and no filter. Even if it is a quality oiled filter and it was not maintained properly or an air nozzle was used to clean it an blew holes in it and was not noticed ect.Take a brand new K&N filter out of the box and shine a trouble light inside it you can see the holes in it that will not catch anything fine at all., the filter media is way too course and not consistant.

• Owner

It is the quality of the filter itself mainly, then the lack of servicing or lack of cleaning and oiling it properly, an oiled filter with a lack of oil is basically filtering out the chunks and not filtering the finer particulates that cause the damage to the cylinder walls and rings.

If you buy a cheap oiled filter and then do not maintain it properly is like running a screen door screen and no filter. Even if it is a quality oiled filter and it was not maintained properly or an air nozzle was used to clean it an blew holes in it and was not noticed ect.

Take a brand new K&N filter out of the box and shine a trouble light inside it you can see the holes in it that will not catch anything fine at all., the filter media is way too course and not consistant.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNQ6d3ox5Ok

Bad filter...

Posted Image

When K&N first appeared on the diesel market, they marketed to a local trucking company. Trucking Company ended up buying a bunch of filters and a year to two later needed all new engines that the engine manufacturer would not warranty as the cylinder walls were worn excessively for the hours and miles. The Trucking Company sued K&N and ended up settling out of court, including an agreement that the Trucking Company would not publically bash K&N. Washable filters are outstanding for one application in my opinion, race cars. If you have a desert racer or dirt track car, you can put a K&N with a big pre filter element on a car and run it all season. No big deal, wash the filter each week, and rebuild the engine a couple times a year. However our diesels hopefully don't get rebuilt more than once over the life of the truck, at one rebuild each 500,000 mi or more. DIRT is bad. Paper air filters are cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

There is a very specific reason that the only OEM filter on my truck is the OEM one. If I ever go with twins I will keep the OEM box and OEM filter, most the BHAF's that people use are BIG but don't have the sq in of media or flow rates that is required.

The only reason I ditched the OEM box I know this is a 2nd Gen issue but not sure on 3rd Gen. But the plastic of the stock box will deform over time and allow dust to leaking past the panel filter gasket. The only way to fix this is to grease the seal. Too darn messy for me. Hence the BHAF works awesome. Since I'm not racing I don't think the flow rates are much of a issue.

• Staff

The only reason I ditched the OEM box I know this is a 2nd Gen issue but not sure on 3rd Gen. But the plastic of the stock box will deform over time and allow dust to leaking past the panel filter gasket. The only way to fix this is to grease the seal. Too darn messy for me. Hence the BHAF works awesome. Since I'm not racing I don't think the flow rates are much of a issue.

It's not a 3rd gen issue that I am aware of. What is your filter part number?

AH64ID, Would you happen to have the measurement of surface area of the oem filter handy? If not, what are its dimensions (L x W) and pleat depth and pleat density (how many pleats per inch)?I took my oiled filter off of the intake system that came with my twins setup, and sure enough, the holes were plain as day once I held it up to the sunlight.For now, I am using a tapered cone filter that has a 6" base diameter, a 5.25" top diameter, and a 9" height. I don't know the pleat depth or density off the top of my head, but want to get an idea of what kind of difference we are talking here in terms of surface area, as that has a big impact on flow.

• 4 months later...